What was Bill's average speed in mph on the way to work?

In summary, Bill's average speed on the way to work was 45 mph, taking 1 hour and 20 minutes to get to work. This was determined by setting up equations W= 1.5H and W+H= 200 minutes, solving for W, and then using the formula speed = distance/time to calculate the average speed.
LLS

Homework Statement

It took Bill 1.5 times as long to drive to work as it took him to drive home. If the trip was 60 miles in each direction, and the total drive time round trip was 3 1/3 hours, what was Bill's average speed in mph on the way to work?

Homework Equations

Needs to be determined

The Attempt at a Solution

I am at a loss of how to setup the equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried writing out what you are given first? :P

Gallileo said:
Have you tried writing out what you are given first? :P

I don't know how to set it up.

Work = 1.5 x Home

Work + Home = 3 1/3 hours

?

I don't know how to do this...

Set Up the solution this way:

Columns for rate, time, distance; rows for ToWork and FromWork. Fill in the information according to the given facts. Your unknowns which are proportianal to each other, are the rates.

LLS said:
I don't know how to set it up.

Work = 1.5 x Home

Work + Home = 3 1/3 hours

?

I don't know how to do this...
One of the things I would object to is that you haven't told us what "Work" and "Home" mean so that we cannot say whether it is right or not.

Of course, I understand that "Work" really mean "time required to drive to work" and "Home" is "time required to drive home from work". Yes, those two equations do represent what you are told: W= 1.5H and W+ H= 4/3 (I have shortened them a little).
If you replace "W" in the second equation by "1.5H", what do you get? Once you know what "W" is, you know how long it took him to drive to work. How far did he drive in that time? What was his average speed?

HallsofIvy said:
One of the things I would object to is that you haven't told us what "Work" and "Home" mean so that we cannot say whether it is right or not.

Of course, I understand that "Work" really mean "time required to drive to work" and "Home" is "time required to drive home from work". Yes, those two equations do represent what you are told: W= 1.5H and W+ H= 4/3 (I have shortened them a little).
If you replace "W" in the second equation by "1.5H", what do you get? Once you know what "W" is, you know how long it took him to drive to work. How far did he drive in that time? What was his average speed?

1.5H = 4/3 -----> .88

.88 x 60 = 53.333

average speed = 53.33 mph

Is that right? Did I confuse the numbers?

It's actually W+H = 10/3. substitute W = 1.5H in that. W is the time in hours he took to get to work. To get a speed from that you use

[tex] speed = \frac {distance}{time} [/tex]

LLS said:
1.5H = 4/3 -----> .88

.88 x 60 = 53.333

average speed = 53.33 mph

Is that right? Did I confuse the numbers?
Just a little. It wasn't helped by HoI using the wrong number! (it should read 10/3 not 4/3 - the 4/3 is correct but HoI skipped a line). Also you're only / by H in your equation whereas you should be / by W + H.

Here's how I'd do it:
Let's call the time taken to drive home x.
Time taken to drive to work is 1.5 times the trip home, making it 1.5x
So total time driving is:
to home (x) + to work (1.5x) = 2.5x
total time taken in minutes is (3 1/3)*60 = 200 minutes (I find it's easier to work out than using fractions of hours)

From there, you should be able to work out how long it took Bill to drive home (x) and thus how long it took him to drive to work (in minutes). Then divide that by 60 to get number of hours it took him and the rest is simple (hint: It is a whole number!)

1. What is a word problem in algebra?

A word problem in algebra is a mathematical problem that is presented in the form of a written statement or scenario. It usually involves real-life situations and requires the use of algebraic equations to find a solution.

2. How do I solve a word problem in algebra?

To solve a word problem in algebra, you need to first read the problem carefully and identify the given information and what you are asked to find. Then, you can use algebraic equations to set up and solve the problem, making sure to show all work and check your answer for accuracy.

3. What are some common tips for solving word problems in algebra?

Some common tips for solving word problems in algebra include:

• Read the problem carefully and identify the given information and what you are asked to find
  • Choose a variable to represent the unknown quantity
  • Write and solve equations using the given information and the variable
  • Check your answer to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem
  • Practice solving a variety of word problems to improve your skills

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in algebra?

To improve your problem-solving skills in algebra, you can practice solving a variety of word problems and algebraic equations. You can also seek help from a tutor or teacher, study with classmates, and use online resources such as practice problems and tutorials.

5. Why are word problems important in algebra?

Word problems are important in algebra because they allow you to apply algebraic concepts and skills to real-life situations. They also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in many fields, including science, engineering, and mathematics.