Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,782 replies · 460K views
Wordle 924 2/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

kuruman said:
Particularly intriguing (to me) is the location of the word "only" in a sentence as a modifier of what the speaker intends to convey.
This is a pet peeve - people often place the "only" incorrectly for their intended meaning.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
gmax137 said:
Wordle 924 2/6

⬛⬛🟩⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩This is a pet peeve - people often place the "only" incorrectly for their intended meaning.
If power of the dark side only you knew!
 
kuruman said:
Particularly intriguing (to me) is the location of the word "only" in a sentence as a modifier of what the speaker intends to convey. Here is an example I found on the web. Each line is followed by the intended meaning in italics.

https://www.wikihow.com/Sample/Only-Usage

Only + “You should take medicine for your cough.”

Only you should take medicine for your cough.
No one else should be permitted to do so except you.

You only should take medicine for your cough.
You should do nothing else besides take medicine.

You should only take medicine for your cough.
You should take medicine, but ignore other treatment options.

You should take only medicine for your cough.
You should not ingest anything else besides the medicine.

You should take medicine only for your cough.
You should take medicine for your cough, but not for any other ailments you may have.

We can safely conclude that "only" does not commute with the other words in a sentence.
You should take medicine for your only cough.
You only have one cough.
 
Orodruin said:
You should take medicine for your only cough.
You only have one cough.
Things could get really confusingly hairy if more than one 'only' were allowed in there. :
 
sbrothy said:
Things could get really confusingly hairy if more than one 'only' were allowed in there. :
Only you have only one cough?
 
Orodruin said:
Only you have only one cough?

Orodruin said:
Only you have only one cough?
Before you croak? :)
 
Wordle 925 2/6

⬛🟨🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Pure luck. I had a choice of 41 words after the first guess.
 
Wordle 925 2/6

🟧🟦🟦🟧⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

I was lucky too. Given my standard seed, the choice of today's answer left only one possibility.
 
kuruman said:
Given my standard seed, the choice of today's answer left only one possibility.
Interestingly, the inverse is also true. Given today’s solution and your pattern leaves only one possibility for your seed. (Unless I am mistaken.)
 
Wordle 926 3/6*

⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
⬛🟩⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I wont deny there was some luck involved.

EDIT: I mean my starting word was "SQUID"(?)
 
Didn't guess yesterdays. Don't play wordle in the middle of the night right before bedtime. :P

Wordle 928 3/6*

🟨🟨⬛🟨⬛
🟩⬛🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
sbrothy said:
Didn't guess yesterdays. Don't play wordle in the middle of the night right before bedtime. :P

Wordle 928 3/6*

🟨🟨⬛🟨⬛
🟩⬛🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
The deadliest of Wordle sins: Letting your streak fall, not due to failure to solve, but to not playing!

Edit: I may have misread your post as not playing. If a hiccup then it happens to the best of us (last time I lost my streak I knew perfectly well what the word was on guess 6 … but misspelled it …)

Wordle 928 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Out of interest, where are people’s streaks at?
 
Wordle 928 3/6

⬜🟦⬜🟦⬜
🟧🟦⬜🟦⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧
Orodruin said:
Out of interest, where are people’s streaks at?
My streak breaks every time I go on vacation because I drop out of the internet. Here are my tallies

Screen Shot 2024-01-03 at 8.34.54 AM.png

Stats.png
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Herman Trivilino and Orodruin
I found this one to be difficult
Wordle 928 4/6

⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟨⬛⬛⬛
🟩⬛⬛⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

1 0
2 13
3 81
4 112
5 63
6 14
X 3

Current Streak 43, Max Streak 52
 
Orodruin said:
The deadliest of Wordle sins: Letting your streak fall, not due to failure to solve, but to not playing!

Edit: I may have misread your post as not playing. If a hiccup then it happens to the best of us (last time I lost my streak I knew perfectly well what the word was on guess 6 … but misspelled it …)

Wordle 928 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Out of interest, where are people’s streaks at?
Nope, I played alright. Just crashed and burned. :P