Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

  • Thread starter Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
8,783 replies · 461K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Wordle 1,218 6/6
Odd that it was the first word that came to mind after my seed word, but but the last one I played .o0)
⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wordle 1,220 2/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ© 6 left (first time I've ever used this word as seed)
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 best choice to filter from 6 left happened to be the solution

dwarde said:
Go figure, it's not in my old American Heritage dictionary. :smile: o0)
...

How old is your dictionary? Merriam-Webster claims the word was first used in 1950, while Etymology Online says "1940s, aviators' jargon".
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: edwardII and jack action
Wordle 1,221 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ [DIARY] 328 left
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬› [LOUSE] filter - 6 left: GUSTO SCOUT SHOUT SNOUT SPOUT STOUT
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬› [CHUTE] filter - 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [SHOUT]

Bad start but still saved with the most-probable-selected-word-by-a-human criteria. My suggestions for the 3rd guess as a filter were words with the letter N-P-T which would have filtered all words except SCOUT and SHOUT. Both of these were my 2 preferred words! So I looked for a filter word containing the letters C-H-T instead.
 
jack action said:
Wordle 1,221 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ [DIARY] 328 left
β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬› [LOUSE] filter - 6 left: GUSTO SCOUT SHOUT SNOUT SPOUT STOUT
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬› [CHUTE] filter - 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [SHOUT]

Bad start but still saved with the most-probable-selected-word-by-a-human criteria. My suggestions for the 3rd guess as a filter were words with the letter N-P-T which would have filtered all words except SCOUT and SHOUT. Both of these were my 2 preferred words! So I looked for a filter word containing the letters C-H-T instead.
I am not sure I agree that STOUT or SPOUT are that much less likely to be selected by a human so the benefit is debatable. Either way, the correct filter word that is guaranteed to solve it in 4 for you was PUNCH as the position of the U would be unique for GUSTO if correct, P, N, C, or H yellow would identify any word that isn’t STOUT, leaving STOUT as the only possible solution if only the U is yellow

Edit: More clearly, PUNCH results in the following:

U green -> GUSTO
U yellow, no other yellow -> STOUT
U yellow, X yellow -> SXOUT
 
Wordle 1,222 4/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛ [CHART] 404 left
β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬› [ELOIN] filter - 11 left: BOOBY BOOZY GOODY GOOFY MOODY SMOKY SPOOF SPOOK SWOOP WOODY WOOZY
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬› [DOGMA] filter - 1 left
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩 [GOOFY]

The third guess suggestion was WISPY, but I didn't think the "W" and "P" words - or even the "B" words - were going to be among the most probable choices. So I looked for a filter with DFM or DGM and preferably with an O in the second place. (Kind of cheated by looking on line to find one.)
 
Wordle 1,223 3/6

🟦⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟦🟧⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧
Orodruin said:
Wordle 1 223 3/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Pretty close to each other.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Orodruin and jack action
Wordle 1.223 4/6

β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨
⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My first! Tried a few from the archive too and even got one in second guess. I can see why this easily can become addictive :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kuruman, jack action and edwardII