Work and Electric Potential

In summary, the first question involves finding the electric force on a positive charge placed between two parallel metal plates with a potential difference of 75 V. The second question asks for the z-component of the electric field in a region of space with a given electric potential equation. The third question involves finding the work done by an external force on a charge moving at constant speed between two points with a potential difference of 12 V. The answer is -60 J.
Soaring Crane

Homework Statement

Two parallel metal plates 5.0 cm apart have a potential difference between them of 75 V. The electric force on a positive charge of 3.2*10^-19 C at a point midway between the plates is approximately

a. 1.6*10^-18 N
b. 2.4*10^-17 -
c. 4.8*10^-18
d. 4.8*10^-16
e. 9.6*10^-17

Homework Equations

V = E*d = (F/q)*d

The Attempt at a Solution

F = (V*q)/d = (75 V)*(3.2*10-19 C)/(0.025 m) = 9.6*10^-16 N?
But this does not match any of the choices . . .except for being close to E.

Is my arithmetic wrong or is the question in need of editing?

Homework Statement

The electric potential in a region of space is given by V(x,y,z)=10 (V/m)x +20 V/m(y) + 30(V/m)z. The z-component of the electric field in this region is

a. (-30 V/m)*k vector
b. (-10 V/m)*i vector
c. (20 V/m)*j vector
d. (-20 V/m)*j vector
e. (30 V/m)*k vector

Homework Equations

See below.

Is the answer e. (30 V/m)*k vector since V/m = N/C (both units for electric field)?

Homework Statement

When 5.0 C of charge moves at constant speed along a path between two points differing in potential by 12 V, the amount of work done by the electric field is

a.2.4 J
b. 0.42 J
c. 5.0 J
d. 12 J
e. 60 J

Homework Equations

U = q*V ?? (correct formula?)

U = 5.0 C*12V = 60 J?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, I got 4.8 * 10^-16...the electric field is constant so the force will be constant no matter what point you choose in the field...looks like you chose the midway point, well the potential is not constant throughout the field so if you choose the midway point, you have to divide the potential by half as well.

I don't know about 2 and 3...

The electric potential in a region of space is given by V(x,y,z)=10 (V/m)x +20 V/m(y) + 30(V/m)z. The z-component of the electric field in this region is

Again, that cannot be electric potential because potential is not a vector.

Concerning the 1st question, E=V/d since electric field between parallel plates is uniform. Then, force =qE. Thus answer is d.

The third question however is trickier! (although your answer is correct)

You see if the field alone were acting on it then the motion would be accelerated. But since charge is moving at uniform velocity then we have to assume that work has to be done by an external agency to keep the charge in the same speed. Thus the work has to be negative. Atleast that is what I conclude!

So W= -60 J because external force is directed opposite to field.

So could you please chack again whether the constant speed part is there!

For the last one, the constant speed part is included.

For the second part, based on the partial derivative definition E = -dV/dx, the electric field of the z-component will be -30 V/m*vector k?

Soaring Crane said:
For the second part, based on the partial derivative definition E = -dV/dx, the electric field of the z-component will be -30 V/m*vector k?

Does the x, y and z in the equation refer to the axes in free space?!

I don't understand?

Are x,y and z unit vectors or just scalars in the 3D equation?!

V is just a function of x, y, and z in the problem, I think.

E_z = -dV/dz?

Last edited:
Then the answer would be given by differentiating the equation with respect to z and put a negative sign, i.e: E = -dV/dz .

Thus, answer is -30 V/m

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. In other words, work is the energy required to move an object from one point to another.

2. How is work related to electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from one point to another in an electric field. This means that work and electric potential are directly proportional to each other. The greater the electric potential, the more work is required to move a charge through the field.

3. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V). One volt is equal to one joule per coulomb (J/C).

4. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the work required to move a charge through an electric field by the magnitude of the charge. Mathematically, it is represented as V = W/Q, where V is the electric potential, W is the work, and Q is the charge.

5. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is the amount of work required to move a charge from one point to another in an electric field, whereas electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charge possesses due to its position in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is a measure of the force required to move a charge, while electric potential energy is a measure of the charge's stored energy in the electric field.