Work and Energy Conservation, Need

In summary, the problem involves a spring with a spring constant of 1000 N/m compressing 13.0 cm and launching a 200 g block on a frictionless horizontal surface. The block then travels up an incline with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.220. To find the distance the block sails through the air, the final velocity of the block at the top of the incline must be calculated using the formula Wnc=Ef-Ei. The final velocity is found to be 1.38 m/s, and using the formula R=Vf^2/g, the distance is calculated to be 0.19 m. However, this answer is incorrect and after further calculation, the correct answer is
BryceHarper

Homework Statement

The spring in the figure has a spring constant of 1000 N/m. It is compressed 13.0 cm, then launches a 200 g block. The horizontal surface is frictionless, but the block's coefficient of kinetic friction on the incline is 0.220. What distance does the block sail through the air?

knight_Figure_11_72.jpg

Homework Equations

.5(k)(x^2)
.5(m)(V^2)
Wnc=Ef-Ei

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm pretty close to solving this problem but I'm messing up somewhere...

I know I need to find the final velocity of the mass right when it gets to the top of the incline so I'm going to use Wnc=Ef-Ei. (To find Ei I used potential energy of a spring formula .5(k)(x^2).

So...
-μk(cosθ)(m)(g)(L)=.5(m)(Vf^2)+(m)(g)(h)-.5(k)(x^2)

The distance the mass traveled up the incline is L so L=2/sin45

-.22(cos45)(.2)(9.8)(2/sin45)=.5(.2)(Vf^2)+.2(9.8)(2)-.5(1000)(.13^2)

I get that Vf=1.38m/s

To find the distance I simply use R=Vf^2/g and get .19 but it's wrong? Can someone help me out??!

Physics news on Phys.org
I ended up using all my attempt on mastering physics and the answer ended up being 3.74m but I still don't know how to come up with that value?

I assume you can calculate the initial energy given to the block by the spring. The kinetic energy at the top of the incline will be that minus
(1) the potential energy at the top of the incline.
(2) the work done against friction on the incline.

I found this interesting as I'll be working on this soon in class, so I tried it myself. HallsofIvy's method worked perfectly, thanks! Answer came out to 3.738 m.

Last edited:
By the way, it also works to use linear motion formulas, though it takes a tiny bit longer. You can get the initial velocity (v0) at the bottom of the ramp from the initial KE, then (I'm using a coordinate system of +x up the ramp), find the x components of acceleration due to kinetic friction and gravity. Integrate this acceleration and use the v0 in the velocity function, then integrate again leaving s0 = 0. Now you have linear motion functions for the ramp portion. You know the ramp is 2sqrt(2) m long, so set the position function s(t) = 2sqrt(2) and solve for t, then plug that into the velocity function to get the initial velocity at the top of the ramp for your projectile motion problem.

I screwed this up the first several times I tried to calculate it by trying to take the velocity coming off the spring, and multiplying it by cos45 to get the initial velocity for the ramp's linear motion formulas. That was wrong, the velocity doesn't change magnitude, just direction.

]So...
-μk(cosθ)(m)(g)(L)=.5(m)(Vf^2)+(m)(g)(h)-.5(k)(x^2)

The distance the mass traveled up the incline is L so L=2/sin45

-.22(cos45)(.2)(9.8)(2/sin45)=.5(.2)(Vf^2)+.2(9.8)(2)-.5(1000)(.13^2)

I get that Vf=1.38m/s

To find the distance I simply use R=Vf^2/g and get .19 but it's wrong? Can someone help me out??!

Everything ok
Check your calculation.

v2f=36.67
d=36.67/9.8=3.7m

Last edited:

1. What is "work" in the context of physics?

In physics, work is defined as the amount of energy transferred by a force acting on an object over a certain distance. It is typically measured in joules (J) and is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance over which the force is applied.

2. How is work related to energy conservation?

Work and energy conservation are closely related concepts. According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred from one form to another. When work is done on an object, energy is transferred to the object, resulting in a change in its energy state. This change in energy is conserved, meaning the total amount of energy in a system remains constant.

3. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. Kinetic energy is directly related to an object's mass and velocity, while potential energy is related to an object's height, shape, or other physical properties.

4. How do work and energy conservation apply to real-life situations?

Work and energy conservation have many real-life applications, from simple tasks such as lifting objects to more complex processes like generating electricity. In all cases, work is done to transfer energy from one form to another, and energy conservation ensures that the total energy in a system remains constant.

5. Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important for a number of reasons. It helps to reduce our dependence on non-renewable energy sources, which are harmful to the environment and will eventually run out. It also helps to reduce energy costs and save money, as well as promote sustainable living practices. Additionally, energy conservation plays a crucial role in mitigating the effects of climate change by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.