Energy Equation for a Roller Coaster on a Full Circular Loop

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy equation for a roller coaster in motion from the ground to the top of a full circular loop, as well as the question of whether the car would still have kinetic energy at the top of the loop. The homework equations mentioned are the kinetic energy equation (1/2m(v^2)) and the gravitational potential energy equation (Ug = mgh). The attempted solution involves a yes or no question and a potentially incorrect equation. To properly answer the question, work would need to be shown, specifically a calculation of the kinetic energy at point B and knowledge of the kinetic energy at point A. The correct expression for gravitational potential energy is also provided.
Np14

Homework Statement

What is the energy equation for a roller coaster already in motion from the ground with to the top of a full circular loop = point B in the image. My question is would the car still have kinetic energy at the top of the loop?

Homework Equations

Kinetic Energy Equation 1/2m(v^2), Gravitational Potential Energy Equation Ug = 1/2(mgh)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a yes or no question, I don't know what work I can really show.

The equation I figured out: K = Ug + K
Not sure if it is correct please help.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 223
Physics news on Phys.org
To answer "yes" or "no" you need to show some work, namely a calculation of the kinetic energy at point B. For that you will need the kinetic energy at point A. Do you know (or have information) what it is? Also, the equation you figured is incorrect. Mechanical energy conservation means that the kinetic + potential at point A is the same aas kinetic + potential at point B.
KA + UA = KB + UB.

Last edited:
Np14 said:

Homework Statement

What is the energy equation for a roller coaster already in motion from the ground with to the top of a full circular loop = point B in the image. My question is would the car still have kinetic energy at the top of the loop?

Homework Equations

Kinetic Energy Equation 1/2m(v^2), Gravitational Potential Energy Equation Ug = 1/2(mgh)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a yes or no question, I don't know what work I can really show.

The equation I figured out: K = Ug + K
Not sure if it is correct please help.
First of all: The opening sentence of the problem statement is garbled as if you left out some words in one or more places.

What is the energy equation for a roller coaster already in motion ?⋅?⋅?⋅?⋅? from the ground with ?⋅?⋅?⋅?⋅? to the top of a full circular loop = point B in the image.​

upload_2019-2-8_7-17-38.png

Above is the screen shot of a 2× enlargement of the image you uploaded . (The combination of enlargement and of using a screen shot makes it a little fuzzy.)

In addition to that, you have have an incorrect expression for Gravitational Potential Energy. The correct expression is: Ug = mgh .

Beyond that:
I entirely agree with (Dr.) @kuruman's comments.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-8_7-17-38.png
    upload_2019-2-8_7-17-38.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 372

1. What is the difference between work and energy?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another by applying a force. Energy, on the other hand, is the ability to do work. In other words, work is a process and energy is a property of an object.

2. What is the formula for work?

The formula for work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the displacement of the object.

3. What is the formula for kinetic energy?

The formula for kinetic energy is KE = ½ * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

4. How are work and energy related?

Work and energy are closely related as work is the transfer of energy. When work is done on an object, its energy changes. Similarly, when an object does work, it gains or loses energy.

5. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. In other words, the total energy in a closed system remains constant.