Work and energy of block of mass

In summary: If the work energy equation is used, then all the work done by non conservative forces has to be taken into account. That is why the work done by applied force and friction is considered separately. The end result is the same either way.
phospho
A block of mass 10kg is pulled along a straight horizontal road by a constant horizontal force of magnitude 70N in the direction of the road. The block moves in a straight line passing through two points A and B on the road, where AB = 50m. The block is modeled as a particle and the road is modeled as a rough plane. The coefficient of friction between the block and the road is 4/7.

a) Calculate the work done against friction in moving the block from A to B.

The block passes through A with a speed of 2ms^-1.

b) Find the speed of the block at B.

for a) I got:

4/7*10g = F = 56 (taking g=9.8),
56*50 = 2800J, which is correct

for b) Work done against friction = Change in KE

so 2800 = 5v^2 - 20 and going on to get v to be 23.6, which is incorrect.

I asked a friend and he said change in KE = Work done by resultant force, and finding the resultant force to be 14N:

14*50 = 5v^2 - 20
v = 12, which is correct

however when my teacher marked this he commented to use the work energy principle, and I don't understand how I can use the work energy principle here? I understand the work energy principle states the the change in total energy = work done on the particle, but the work done on the particle is 2800J, and the change in total energy is 5v^2 - 20, as I done before giving me the wrong answer.

How can I use the work energy principle here?

Physics news on Phys.org
After looking at wikipedia I see it is the change in total energy = work done by the resultant force, I'm sorry my book didn't state it, it just said work done against resistance.

Also, I found this: http://www.astarmathsandphysics.com/a_level_maths_notes/M2/a_level_maths_notes_m2_the_work_energy_principle.html

Using the formula that they give above:

0.5*2^2*10 = 0.5*v^2*10 + 14*50, which will go on to give me a complex answer :s

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you used the work energy theorem correctly the first time, with the help of your friend. On your last attempt, you have the work done by the net resultant force on the wrong side of the equation.

Addendum: O I see you tried to use the website equation and apply it to yours. But that equation just had friction and your problem had both friction and an applied force. Be careful when trying to blindly use equations. The net work done is the change in kinetic energy.

Last edited:
PhanthomJay said:
Looks like you used the work energy theorem correctly the first time, with the help of your friend. On your last attempt, you have the work done by the net resultant force on the wrong side of the equation.

But in the link I've given they've shown the work done on the side I done it on?

See my edit in my last prior post.

phospho said:
however when my teacher marked this he commented to use the work energy principle, and I don't understand how I can use the work energy principle here?
I think all your teacher is saying is that instead of
change in KE = work done by resultant force = (distance resultant moved) * (size of resultant)
= (distance resultant moved) * (applied force - frictional force)
he/she wanted you to use
change in KE + (work done against friction) = work done by applied force
change in KE + (distance friction acted)*(magnitude of friction) = (distance applied force moved) * (size of applied force)
Since the applied force and the friction moved the same distance, this comes to the same as your way.

PhanthomJay said:
See my edit in my last prior post.

hm ok, so what is the work energy principle exactly:

net work done = change in total energy?

also, what if the force 70N was 50N instead, then would this be correct:

loss in KE = work done by resultant force
0.5*2^2*10 - 5v^2 = -4*50?

phospho said:
hm ok, so what is the work energy principle exactly:

net work done = change in total energy?
no, I doubt wiki said that...the net work done = change in kinetic energy. The work done by non conservative forces (like friction and applied) is the change in total energy, which is not the same equation, although it works here because no PE change is involved.

1. What is work and energy?

Work and energy are two closely related concepts in physics. Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Energy is the ability of an object to do work or to cause a change in its environment.

2. What is the relationship between work and energy?

The relationship between work and energy is that work done on an object will result in a change in its energy. This change in energy can be in the form of kinetic energy, potential energy, or thermal energy, depending on the type of work being done.

3. How is work and energy related to the mass of a block?

The mass of a block is directly related to the amount of work and energy that can be applied to it. A heavier block will require more work to be moved, and will also have more potential energy due to its larger mass.

4. What is the formula for calculating the work done on a block of mass?

The formula for calculating work done on a block of mass is W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force applied to the block, and d is the distance the block moves in the direction of the force.

5. How does the height of a block of mass affect its potential energy?

The height of a block of mass affects its potential energy through the equation PE = mgh, where PE is potential energy, m is the mass of the block, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the block. As the height increases, so does the potential energy of the block.