Work and kinetic energy (dynamics)

In summary: T is the centripetal force so mgsin\theta = TIn summary, the conversation discussed the derivation of the equations for tension and velocity in a rotational system. The equations T=mgsinθ+mlθ'^2 and |v(t2)|^2 = l^2θ'^2 were derived from the principles of conservation of energy and centripetal force. The conversation also addressed the confusion around the use of squared terms and the relationship between PE and KE.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

See attachment.

Homework Equations

(1) F=ma
(2.13) W=ΔT
(2.20) (weight) x (decrease in altitude of mass center of body)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get where |v(t1)| and |v(t2)|^2 comes from. The book says |v(t1)| = 0, which I suppose is because initially there was no movement, so kinetic energy is 0? Does |v(t1)|=0 have anything to do with T=mgsinθ+mlθ'^2?

Then it says |v(t2)|^2 = l^2θ'^2, and this totally confused me. First, why is v(t2) squared and not v(t1)? Second, obviously v(t2) is somehow related to T=mgsinθ+mlθ'^2, but I don't see how you get v(t2) from that. Also originally θ'^2 was already squared, so wouldn't |v(t2)|^2 = l^2θ'^4??
Very confused on this.

Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• wewe 001.jpg
    wewe 001.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 615
Physics news on Phys.org
|v(t1)| = 0 as no movement at t=t1.

|v(t2)|^2 = l^2θ'^2 because v(t2)= radius x angular velocity. So it is just squared. (I am ignoring the modulus signs now).

For the second part, the change in PE = change in KE

so the height went from lsin(30) to lsin(θ) so the change in PE is mg[lsinθ-lsin30]

similarly change in KE is 1/2mv22-1/2mv12 = 1/2mv22 = 1/2m(lω)2 = ½ml2ω2

Do you understand how they the first part for the tension T at least?

I understand where T=mgsinθ+mlθ'^2 came from. But for |v(t2)|^2, why is l squared but theta dot not to the 4th power? I totally don't get this. And PE = ΔKE is the same as W=ΔKE right? Thanks.

xzibition8612 said:
I understand where T=mgsinθ+mlθ'^2 came from. But for |v(t2)|^2, why is l squared but theta dot not to the 4th power? I totally don't get this.

Right, for the velocity, they multiply the radius (l) by the angular velocity (theta dot or ω)

so v(t2)=lω so that v(t2)2=l2ω2

xzibition8612 said:
And PE = ΔKE is the same as W=ΔKE right? Thanks.

Yep, same idea.

so |v(t2)|^2 has absolutely nothing to do with T=mgsinθ+mlθ'^2? Meaning it wasn't derived from there or anything? It's just something you should intuitively know?

xzibition8612 said:
so |v(t2)|^2 has absolutely nothing to do with T=mgsinθ+mlθ'^2? Meaning it wasn't derived from there or anything? It's just something you should intuitively know?

Well the kind of did it backwards in a way.

Normally you'd start with ΔPE=ΔKE

to get mg[lsinθ-lsin30]= 1/2mv22

and it would be better to have everything in terms of θ so putting [itex]v_2= l \dot{\theta}[/itex] is easier.

so you'd get

[tex]mg[lsin\theta - lsin30]=\frac{1}{2}ml^2 \theta ^2 \Rightarrow mg[sin\theta -sin 30]=\frac{1}{2}ml \dot{\theta}^2[/tex]

and if we look at the the [itex]ml \dot{\theta}^2[/itex] you'd see that is mass*radius*angular velocity squared i.e. centripetal force.

The only way that relates to tension T is from the first line

[tex]T+mgsin\theta = ml \dot{\theta}^2[/tex]

1. What is work and how is it related to kinetic energy?

Work is defined as the force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. Kinetic energy, on the other hand, is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The two are related because work done on an object results in a change in its kinetic energy.

2. How do you calculate work and kinetic energy?

Work can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. Kinetic energy can be calculated by using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related because work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. The more work is done on an object, the more its energy will increase.

4. Can work and kinetic energy be negative?

Yes, work and kinetic energy can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of its motion, resulting in a decrease in kinetic energy.

5. Why is understanding work and kinetic energy important?

Understanding work and kinetic energy is important in many fields including physics, engineering, and mechanics. It allows us to calculate and predict the motion and energy of objects, and is essential in designing and building structures and machines.