Work done by a force along the path

In summary: No, I meant ##\hat...## to be the vector represented by the given equation, not the hats on the vectors x and y.
MyoPhilosopher
Homework Statement
Work done by a force along the path
Relevant Equations
\vec F(\vec r)=α|\ vec r 2 \vecr.
r(s)=sˆx+sˆy,
If the first equation for force is not formatted please refer to the pic.
I did not post my full attempt as the problematic equation leads to a complex integral.
Should I be converting r vector into its univector. The two outlined equations refer to the force. I am making an error transforming the force into x_hat and y_hat format. Any advice is appreciated I am quite stuck

1582390383891.png

Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the work, you're trying to evaluate
$$\int_C \vec F \cdot d\vec r = \int_0^1 \vec F \cdot \frac{d\vec r}{ds}\,ds,$$ right? You have expressions for ##\vec F##, ##\vec r##, and ##d\vec r/ds##. Just substitute those into the integral and then evaluate the dot product. What do you get?

Likes etotheipi and PeroK
vela said:
To calculate the work, you're trying to evaluate
$$\int_C \vec F \cdot d\vec r = \int_0^1 \vec F \cdot \frac{d\vec r}{ds}\,ds,$$ right? You have expressions for ##\vec F##, ##\vec r##, and ##d\vec r/ds##. Just substitute those into the integral and then evaluate the dot product. What do you get?
How do I do the dot product if F is in terms of r(vector) and dr is in the form ˆx+ˆy. How do I convert r_vector in its x_hat and y_hat components

You have an expression for ##\vec r## in terms of ##\hat x## and ##\hat y##, don't you? Substitute that into the expression for ##\vec F## where appropriate.

vela said:
You have an expression for ##\vec r## in terms of ##\hat x## and ##\hat y##, don't you? Substitute that into the expression for ##\vec F## where appropriate.
No that's the issue. My ##\vec r## in terms of ##\hat x## and ##\hat y## is not correct.
Is the ##\vec r## in my force equation maybe related to ##\vec r##(s) and therefore just the sine and cosine components of a straigth line graph with gradient 1 between the specified points?

MyoPhilosopher said:
No that's the issue. My ##\vec r## in terms of ##\hat x## and ##\hat y## is not correct.
Draw a vector from the origin representing ##\vec r##. What are the coordinates of its endpoint?

haruspex said:
Draw a vector from the origin representing ##\vec r##. What are the coordinates of its endpoint?
0 and 1, so I am assuming it is as easy as ##\vec r##. 1cos(45)##\hat x## and 1sin(45)##\hat y##

MyoPhilosopher said:
0 and 1
Eh? I have no idea how you get that.
Let me put it another way: In Cartesian coordinates, what does the vector ##\vec r## represent?

haruspex said:
Eh? I have no idea how you get that.
Let me put it another way: In Cartesian coordinates, what does the vector ##\vec r## represent?
Sorry, we integrate from 0->1 So cartesian be 1,1 endpoint.

1582451481402.png

This seems way too complex an integral and I can't see where I am going wrong

MyoPhilosopher said:
You do not seem to understand my question. It is not specific to the problem in this thread, but quite general.
In Cartesian coordinates, what is the usual representation of the vector ##\vec r##? There are no numbers in the answer.

haruspex said:
You do not seem to understand my question. It is not specific to the problem in this thread, but quite general.
In Cartesian coordinates, what is the usual representation of the vector ##\vec r##? There are no numbers in the answer.
I understand your questions as though you are referring to the origin? In which case the ##\vec r## can be seen as a straight line in the form y = x? I am just trying to understand what is specifically incorrect with the picture above as I can't see a mathematical error.

MyoPhilosopher said:
I understand your questions as though you are referring to the origin? In which case the ##\vec r## can be seen as a straight line in the form y = x? I am just trying to understand what is specifically incorrect with the picture above as I can't see a mathematical error.
No, ##\vec r## represents a point, not a line.
Yes, you can draw a line from the origin to that point, but why should it be the line y=x? It is not necessarily at 45 degrees.

haruspex said:
No, ##\vec r## represents a point, not a line.
Yes, you can draw a line from the origin to that point, but why should it be the line y=x? It is not necessarily at 45 degrees.

The given equation is r(s)=sˆx+sˆy

MyoPhilosopher said:
Do you have a graph to show us?

Lnewqban said:
Do you have a graph to show us?
Domain for s is including and from 0 to including 1
1582461940433.png

Is that the path?
How is the force acting along it?

MyoPhilosopher said:
Ok, I see. You listed it as a "relevant equation", which is supposedly to be where you list standard equations you suspect may be relevant. The specification of the path belongs in the problem statement.

So, you wrote ##r=\hat x+\hat y##. I presume you meant ##\hat r=\hat x+\hat y##, but that is incorrect. What is the magnitude of ##\hat x+\hat y##?

haruspex said:
Ok, I see. You listed it as a "relevant equation", which is supposedly to be where you list standard equations you suspect may be relevant. The specification of the path belongs in the problem statement.

So, you wrote ##r=\hat x+\hat y##. I presume you meant ##\hat r=\hat x+\hat y##, but that is incorrect. What is the magnitude of ##\hat x+\hat y##?
Yep sorry I corrected it to its components in above pic, so I made ##\hat r=1cos(45)\hat x+1sin(45)\hat y##,

MyoPhilosopher said:

View attachment 257519
This seems way too complex an integral and I can't see where I am going wrong
I don't understand the final step in the above. You seem to have substituted s2+x2 for r2 in one place and s2+y2 for r2 in another. Neither is correct.

Btw, it would have been easier without switching to x and y coordinates. Just write the integral in terms of ##\vec r##.

haruspex said:
I don't understand the final step in the above. You seem to have substituted s2+x2 for r2 in one place and s2+y2 for r2 in another. Neither is correct.

Btw, it would have been easier without switching to x and y coordinates. Just write the integral in terms of ##\vec r##.
Alright so instead of integral ds just use integral dr. Out of interest what would be the correct expression of r2 in terms of s,x and y?

MyoPhilosopher said:
So r2r⋅r = ?

MyoPhilosopher said:
Alright so instead of integral ds just use integral dr.
No, integral ##.\vec {dr}##.

MyoPhilosopher said:
Out of interest what would be the correct expression of r2 in terms of s,x and y?
##\vec r=s\hat r##, so what is r2 in terms of s?
##\vec r=x\hat x+y\hat y##, so what is r2 in terms of x and y?

1. What is "work done by a force along the path"?

The work done by a force along the path refers to the amount of energy transferred to an object by a force as it moves along a specified path. It is a measure of the force's ability to cause displacement, and is typically measured in joules (J).

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are directly related - work is a measure of the energy transferred to an object by a force. This means that the amount of work done on an object will result in a change in its energy, either by increasing or decreasing it.

4. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of its motion. In this case, the work done by the force will result in a decrease in the object's energy.

5. How does the angle between the force and displacement affect work?

The angle between the force and displacement affects the amount of work done. When the force and displacement are in the same direction, all of the force's energy is transferred to the object and maximum work is done. When the force and displacement are perpendicular, no work is done because there is no displacement in the direction of the force. When the force and displacement are at an angle, the work done will be less than the maximum amount.