1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work done by a swinging spring-like object [not homework]

1. Jan 19, 2010 #1
    This isn't a homework problem, I'm just wondering: if you had a spring like object like a rubber band or just a spring, and attached something to its end and swung it across (like swinging a vine to get across a river), how do you compute the work? is it just -kx^2? where x is the displacement from the spring unstretched to its stretched state?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2010 #2
    when you say work what do you mean. Do you meant he energy of the system? Do you mean the work done by gravity?
  4. Jan 19, 2010 #3
    oh , I meant the work done by the spring-like object

5. Jan 19, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

Yes, the work done by the rubber band alone is -kx^2.
  6. Jan 19, 2010 #5
    thanks , I thought so intuitively.. but I need to think about the definition of work. So, work is the displacement multiplied by the force done in the same direction.. and since the stretching or compressing on a spring is always on the same "axis" as the spring force, we can just say -k or k right?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook