What is the Velocity of a Block Released from a Compressed Spring?

In summary, using conservation of energy and the potential energy stored in the spring before release, it can be determined that the velocity of the 1.2 kg block, after being released and pushed away by the spring with a force constant of 1.0 x 10^4 N/m and compressed a distance of 0.15m, is 13.69m/s. This is found by using the formula v^2=k/m (x^2) and solving for v.
PattyCake
A 1.2 kg block is held against a spring of force constant 1.0 x 10^4 N/m, compressing it a distance of 0.15m. How fast is the block moving after it is released and the spring pushes it away?

Physics news on Phys.org
think about conservation of energy, and the potential energy stored in the spring before release

Likes PattyCake
i know that k=1.0 x 10^4
x(final)=-0.15
x(initial)=0
work=1/2kx^2= -112.5

but i don't know how to find the velocity

i tried using v^2=k/m (x^2)
and received 13.69m/s

Do you think that's wrong?
You solved for v. v is the velocity. well technically the speed here, but I'd assume that's what your teacher meant.

Likes PattyCake
Looks good, average force seems to satisfy.

What is work done by a variable force?

Work done by a variable force is the measure of the energy transferred when an object is moved by a force that varies in magnitude and direction.

How is work done by a variable force calculated?

The work done by a variable force can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it is moved in the direction of the force.

What is the unit of measurement for work done by a variable force?

The unit of measurement for work done by a variable force is joules (J).

What is the difference between work done by a variable force and work done by a constant force?

The main difference between work done by a variable force and work done by a constant force is that the magnitude and direction of the force applied varies in the case of a variable force, while it remains constant in the case of a constant force.

Why is work done by a variable force important?

Understanding work done by a variable force is important in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering, as it helps us to analyze the effects of forces on objects and to calculate the amount of energy transferred in a given situation.