Work done by a varying force

In summary, to find the work done by a force F on an object moving along the x-axis from the origin to a distance of 5.00m, we take the dot product of the force with the infinitesimal displacement vector along the path, which only has an x-component. This gives us a scalar representing the work done at each point along the path. To find the total work, we integrate this scalar over the entire path, giving us the work done by the force. In this case, we can also arrive at the same result by recognizing that only the component of the force in the direction of motion will do work, and so we can simplify the integral to just the x-component of the force multiplied by the infinitesimal
k20dc5
A force F = (4xi + 3yj) N acts on an object as the object moves in the x direction from the origin to x = 5.00m. Find the work W = (Integral)(F)(DOT)dr done on the object by the force.

i figure that to solve this i would integrate 4xi +3yj from 0 to 5.00

my main question here is how do i integrate 4xi + 3yj? if I am not doing this right...could some1 direct me in the right path. thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the dot product first. If it moves along the x-axis there is no displacement in the y direction.

Normally, [itex] d\mathbf{r} [/itex] is expressed as [itex] dx \mathbf{\hat{i}} + dy \mathbf{\hat{j}} [/itex]. However, in this case, the displacement is entirely in the x direction, dy = 0 along the entire path, and so an infinitesimal displacement vector along that path becomes simply [itex] dx \mathbf{\hat{i}} [/itex]. Dotting this with the force vector of course eliminates the y component, giving you a scalar that is the magnitude of the force times the magnitude of the infinitesimal displacement in the x direction:

[tex] \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{r} = (4x \mathbf{\hat{i}} + 3y \mathbf{\hat{j}}) \cdot (dx \mathbf{\hat{i}} + 0 \mathbf{\hat{j}}) [/tex]

[tex] = 4xdx (\mathbf{\hat{i}} \cdot \mathbf{\hat{i}}) = 4xdx [/tex]

[tex] \therefore \ W = \int{\mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{r}} = \int{4xdx} [/tex]

Of course, we could have arrived directly at this result without doing any dot product explicity if we had just thought to ourselves, "well, all the displacement is in one direction, and we know that only the component of the force that acts in that direction will do any work." So we can arrive directly at the result that applies to the special case of work done by a varying force with a displacement in a straight line:

[tex] W = \int{F_x dx} [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is work done by a varying force?

Work done by a varying force refers to the amount of energy transferred to an object by a force that changes in magnitude or direction as the object moves.

2. How is work done by a varying force calculated?

The work done by a varying force can be calculated by finding the area under the force-displacement curve on a graph. This can also be done by integrating the force function with respect to displacement.

3. What is the unit of measurement for work done by a varying force?

The unit of measurement for work done by a varying force is the joule (J). This is the same unit used for work done by a constant force.

4. Can work done by a varying force be negative?

Yes, work done by a varying force can be negative if the force and displacement are in opposite directions. This indicates that the force is doing work on the object, taking energy away from it.

5. How does work done by a varying force affect an object's kinetic energy?

The work done by a varying force is equal to the change in an object's kinetic energy, according to the work-energy theorem. This means that if the force is doing work on the object, its kinetic energy will increase, and if the force is taking energy away, its kinetic energy will decrease.