Work done by cyclic process (thermodynamics)

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equations P1V1=P2V2 and PV=nRT to find the work done by a gas from point a to point b, with the added condition of isothermal temperature. The participants also mention finding the value of n and how to integrate the equation to find the total work done.
cpatel23

Homework Statement

http://s9.postimage.org/5iw5rixyl/image.jpg
(sorry doesn't let me embed)

Homework Equations

P1V1=P2V2
and
PV=nRT

I know that Work done by gas from a --> b = (nRT)*Integral(V2/V1)
My question is do i use PV=nRT to find N? and if T is constant (isothermal) what do I plug in for T when evaluating work?

Using PV=nRT I got n= 14.440 when T=constant (1), is this correct?

I appreciate all of your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump. i really need help.

n is constant so you shouldn't need to worry about it.
(PV)/(nRT)=1 for both "a" and "b" so we can set them equal since they both equal 1.
=> P_f*V_f = P_i*V_i
Now you can solve for P_f since everything else is given.
At this point you can integrate from each initial to final (remember to set your integrals limits in the correct order). The total work is the sum of the individual work done on/by the system.

1. What is work done by a cyclic process?

The work done by a cyclic process is the net amount of energy that is transferred by a system to its surroundings or vice versa as the system undergoes a complete cycle.

2. How is work done related to thermodynamics?

Work done is an important concept in thermodynamics as it is a measure of the energy that is transferred between a system and its surroundings. It is closely related to other thermodynamic quantities such as heat and internal energy.

3. Can work done by a cyclic process be negative?

Yes, work done by a cyclic process can be negative. This occurs when the system receives more energy from its surroundings than it transfers to the surroundings, resulting in a decrease in the net work done by the system.

4. What are some examples of cyclic processes in thermodynamics?

Some examples of cyclic processes in thermodynamics include the Carnot cycle, the Rankine cycle, and the Otto cycle. These processes are commonly used in engines and power plants to convert heat into work.

5. How is work done by a cyclic process calculated?

The work done by a cyclic process can be calculated by taking the integral of the pressure-volume curve for the process. This is known as the area under the curve and represents the net work done by the system during the cycle.