Work Done by Worker: Calculating Force of a Pushed Cart

In summary, the problem involves a shopper pushing a cart with a force of 35N at an angle of 26' downward from the horizontal for a distance of 50.7m. The work done is equal to the force multiplied by the cosine of the angle and the displacement. The equation for this is W = (F)(cos θ)(Δx). The shopper may have also tried to find the force using the equation F = W/(cos θ)(Δx), but was unsuccessful. Similar problems can be found in the provided link.
PepeF.

Homework Statement

a shopper pushes a cart with a force of 35N directed at an angle of 26' downward from the horisontal.

find the work done if he pushes the cart for 50.7m

Homework Equations

w=(f)(cos 0)(Δx)
f= w/(cos 0)(Δx)

The Attempt at a Solution

i did but i got it wrong
i did: the equation and got it wrong then i tried to find force because i though it was a word problem but was not successful please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you get it wrong. http://mravis.com/planbook/PreAP%20Physics/Jan082008/PAP%20Work%20and%20Energy%20WS.pdf" you have got similar problem (number 7).

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello, thank you for sharing your attempt at a solution. It looks like you are on the right track with using the equation for work, which is W = FcosθΔx. In this equation, F represents the force, θ represents the angle at which the force is applied, and Δx represents the displacement.

To solve this problem, we first need to find the force applied by the shopper. We can use the given information that the force is 35N and is directed at an angle of 26' downward from the horizontal. To find the horizontal component of the force, we can use trigonometry. The horizontal component of the force is given by Fcosθ, which in this case would be 35cos26° = 31.9N.

Now, we can use this value for the force in our equation for work. The displacement, Δx, is given as 50.7m in the problem. Plugging in the values, we get W = (31.9N)(50.7m) = 1619.53 J. This is the work done by the shopper in pushing the cart for 50.7m.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Keep up the good work!

What is work done by a worker?

The work done by a worker refers to the amount of energy transferred to an object by applying a force over a certain distance.

How is work done calculated?

Work done is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance over which the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation W = F x d.

What is the unit of measurement for work done?

The unit of measurement for work done is joules (J). This can also be expressed as newton-meters (N*m) as force is measured in newtons and distance is measured in meters.

How do you calculate the force needed to push a cart a certain distance?

The force needed to push a cart a certain distance can be calculated by dividing the work done by the distance. This can be represented by the equation F = W/d.

What are some factors that can affect the work done by a worker?

The work done by a worker can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the object being pushed, the surface friction, the angle of the push, and the strength of the worker. Other factors such as the incline of the surface and the presence of obstacles can also impact the amount of work done.