Calculating Work and Power on a Block on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the question asks for the net work and power done on a block of 0.5kg that is pulled up an inclined plane at a constant velocity of 2m/s for a distance of 15m. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.08 and sin(theta) = 1/3. The net work and power done by all forces on the block is 0, according to the work-energy theorem, since there is no change in kinetic energy. However, some of the work done by the tensile force may go into increasing the potential energy and heat of friction, which would account for the change in potential energy.
SherlockOhms
Question:
A block of 0.5kg is pulled up an inclined plane by a tensile force at a constant velocity of 2m/s. Said block is pulled 15m up the incline. Sin(theta) = 1/3. The coefficient of kinetic direction is 0.08. Calculate the work done on the bock. Also, calculate the power applied to the block.

Relevant equations:
F=ma.
F(friction) = coefficient of kinetic friction x Reaction force.

Attempt at solution:
I'm not sure if I'm looking at this correctly but it seems to me that the net force will be 0. If it's pulled up at constant velocity then the net force is 0 and thus the net power and work is also 0. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about this. If your car is traveling at a constant 20 mph, is the engine doing any work?

Well, yes. It would be. I understand that the tensile force acting on the block will do work on the block. This tension will be equal to the sun of the other two opposing forces. Work will also be done against the other two forces. So, summing up to get the net work on the object wouldn't it sum up to be zero? You'd have the tensile force times the distance - the work done against the other two forces times the distance. Wouldn't this evaluate to 0?

Some of the work by the tensil force might go into increasing the potential energy, yes? Some of it might go into heat of friction? yes.

Ok. Am I just looking for the work done by the tensile force so? I'm not sure I follow what you're getting at.

Figure out what the tensile force is, then

W = FXD, yes?

Yup. That's great. Just misinterpreted the question so. Thanks for that.

I guess the problem is asking for net work and power, not work or power done by the tensile force against friction and gravity. So yes, net work and net power done by all forces evaluate to 0. You might want to consider the work energy theorem...net work done on an object by all forces acting on that object is equal to its change in kinetic energy. Any KE change?

Edit: Question is subject to misinterpretation.

Good point Phantom. The question was not the work done by the tensile force but the work done ON THE BLOCK. Wouldn't a change in potential energy be considered work on the block?

Well, there'd be no change in kinetic energy. It's potential would obviously change though, yeah.

The heat generated by friction would heat up the surface and the block, so some (not sure how much) of the friction work or heat would apply to the block, and some to the surface??

And this would account for the change in potential, yes?

1. What is work done on a block?

Work done on a block is the measure of the energy transferred to or from the block as a result of a force acting on it, causing it to move a certain distance in the direction of the force.

2. How is work done on a block calculated?

The work done on a block is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force acting on the block by the distance the block moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What are the units of work done on a block?

The units of work done on a block are joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). This is equivalent to a force of one newton (N) acting on a block to move it a distance of one meter (m).

4. What factors affect the work done on a block?

The work done on a block can be affected by the magnitude of the force applied, the distance the block moves, and the angle between the direction of the force and the direction of motion. Friction and the weight of the block can also affect the work done.

5. Can the work done on a block be negative?

Yes, the work done on a block can be negative if the force acting on the block is in the opposite direction of the block's motion. This indicates that energy is being taken away from the block, rather than transferred to it.