Work done on an object given a variable mass

In summary, the problem involves finding the work integral when an object is hanging from a cord with variable mass that is displaced upward. To solve this, one must make an assumption about how the mass increases along the height of the cord and use this to write the total mass as a function of height. This can then be used to express the force of gravity on the block plus lifted cord as a function of height. Finally, the work integral can be written using the mass function and integrating from the initial height to the final height. It is possible to simplify the expression by choosing a reference point and using simpler notation.
Eucliwood
I was just doing some review on my physics lecture and I stumble on the idea of what if there was an object hanging and the cord mass is also included in the weight and it's displaced upward without having velocity nor time hypothetically and the cord change mass. I tried solving it by W = fΔx that I came up with this equation W = m1g(height initial - height final) - m2g(height initial - height final), but I'm certain integral is a must on this problem, but I don't know how to derive my own equation that the mass is dependent of the distance. I was wondering if any of you can give me any insight on how to solve this problem.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 279
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to make some assumption on how the mass increases as the block is lifted. Since the additional mass comes from a cord there is very natural assumption you can make about how the mass of the cord is distributed along its height. The idea is that you write up the total mass as a function of height, ##m(h)##, that involves the two masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## and the given height ##h## (that varies between ##h_1## and ##h_2##). If you are still stuck perhaps it will help plotting mass as a function of height on paper and putting in the values you know (symbolically) since you know that ##m(h_1) = m_1## and ##m(h_2) = m_2##.

Then when you have an expression for mass as function of height you can write up the corresponding force of gravity on the block plus lifted cord as a function of height (assuming for instance, as you already have, that acceleration of gravity is constant in the interval ##[h_1, h_2]##) and finally, as you correctly say, you can start write up the work integral itself.

So, say a 2N/1m will be part of the equation of mass(h)? and since the integral is with respect to displacement i can integrate it?

Attachments

• 57382265_1253702201471504_4382082469852086272_n.jpg
    57382265_1253702201471504_4382082469852086272_n.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 208
Eucliwood said:
So, say a 2N/1m will be part of the equation of mass(h)? and since the integral is with respect to displacement i can integrate it?

That is correct.

Usually one would like to use symbols as long as possible and only insert the actual numbers in the final result if possible, which it is here. For instance, the mass function can be expressed as $$m(x) = m_1 + \frac{m_2 - m_1}{x_2 - x_1}(x - x_1) = m_1 + k (x-x_1),$$ where ##k = (m_2-m_1)/(x_2-x_1)## is a constant (when integrating) expressing the cord mass per length.

Edit: formatting the LaTeX better.

Filip Larsen said:
That is correct.

Usually one would like to use symbols as long as possible and only insert the actual numbers in the final result if possible, which it is here. For instance, the mass function can be expressed as $$m(x) = m_1 + \frac{m_2 - m_1}{x_2 - x_1}(x - x_1) = m_1 + k (x-x_1),$$ where ##k = (m_2-m_1)/(x_2-x_1)## is a constant (when integrating) expressing the cord mass per length.

Edit: formatting the LaTeX better.

Thank you! I've one last question, on the x is that the the Δx?

Eucliwood said:
Thank you! I've one last question, on the x is that the the Δx?

I am not sure what you mean exactly?

The expression I wrote is mass as a function of the position ##x## that for this problem is defined from ##x_1## to ##x_2##, so you can say that ##\Delta x = x_2 - x_1##. I chose to name them ##x_1## and ##x_2## so the indices match those of ##m_1## and ##m_2##. These are the same positions as what you have labelled ##x_i## and ##x_f## in your hand-written note, so another way to get consistency is to name the masses ##m_i## and ##m_f##.

As you may have noticed, ##x## above is only used relative to ##x_1## so the absolute value of ##x## is not really needed. This means we can add or subtract any arbitrary constant we like from all positions and still get same result. Often this means we can choose one of the reference points to be labelled as zero and get a simpler expression where we don't have to carry around all those subtractions. For this problem we could for instance simplify by choosing ##x_1 = 0## and ##x_2 = \Delta x = c## for the positions and ##m_1 = m## and ##m_2 = m + \Delta m = m + m_c## for the masses to get $$m(x) = m + \frac{m_c}{c} x,$$ and then integrate from ##0## to ##c##. It gives exact same result in the end but with fewer symbols to keep track of during calculations.

1. What is work done on an object given a variable mass?

Work done on an object given a variable mass refers to the amount of energy transferred to the object due to a force acting on it as its mass changes. This can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force.

2. How does the mass of an object affect the work done on it?

The mass of an object affects the work done on it because as the mass increases, more energy is needed to move the object a certain distance. This means that a greater force must be applied to do the same amount of work on a heavier object compared to a lighter one.

3. Can the work done on an object change if its mass changes?

Yes, the work done on an object can change if its mass changes. This is because as the mass changes, the amount of energy required to move the object a certain distance also changes. Therefore, the work done on the object will vary depending on its mass.

4. What are some examples of work done on an object with a variable mass?

Examples of work done on an object with a variable mass include lifting a weight, pushing a cart with varying amounts of weight inside, or pulling a sled with a changing amount of load. In all of these scenarios, the mass of the object being moved changes, thus affecting the work done on it.

5. How is the work done on an object with a variable mass calculated?

The work done on an object with a variable mass can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance it moves in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, and d is the distance the object moves.