Work-Energy(Polar Coordinates)

• Thread starter Dynamic24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinates
In summary, at the beginning of the spiral slide, a 5kg box is started at the top of the slide with a speed of 15m/s. With friction only between the wall and the mass, the mass eventually stops and at what time.
Dynamic24

Homework Statement

A 5kg box is started at the top of a spiral slide at t=0 with a speed of 15m/s. The spiral has a radius, r=2m, and it's height is given by z=-.4Θ where z is in meters and Θ is in radians. The slide has a wall and a floor with a coe. of friction of .3

a) With no friction, what is the speed of mass when Θ=2pi?
b)With no friction, what is the speed of the mass when t=.5s?

c)With friction only between the floor and mass where does the mass stop and at what time?

e)With friction only between the wall and the mass, what is the final speed of the mass?

Homework Equations

z=-.4Θ
W=ſFds
W=1/2mv^2-1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically the polar coordinates throw me off. With out friction the only force is gravity. So can I just integrate to get my function which defines the position?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dynamic24 said:
With out friction the only force is gravity. So can I just integrate to get my function which defines the position?

There is another force from the outside wall of the slide. Otherwise nothing would be causing the box to rotate as it goes down the slide.

With no friction in part a, you can just use conservation of energy to get the speed.

Yes, I got that now do I need to put z=-.4Θ with a radius 2m into vectors to find the velocity at t=.5sec

I'm not sure this is the best way to do it, but I made a position vector in cylindrical coordinates using the givens of the problem. Next I differentiated the position vector twice to get acceleration. Multiplied that by mass and set equal to the sum of forces. Equating components gives you three equations of which you only need to use two to find the angular acceleration which is constant. Integrate that to find angular velocity as a function of time. Use the velocity vector along with initial speed to find the initial angular velocity needed to find the constant of integration. Now you can find the angular velocity at any time t and thus the speed.

However, that seems a lot of work for a problem that is labeled as "Work-Energy". I'm not sure how to use work-energy considerations to simplify the above.

1. What is work-energy in polar coordinates?

Work-energy in polar coordinates is a concept used in physics to describe the relationship between an object's position and its energy. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force applied to an object as it moves along a curved path in polar coordinates.

2. How is work calculated in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, work is calculated by taking the dot product of the force vector and the displacement vector. This means multiplying the magnitude of the force by the cosine of the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

3. What is the difference between work and energy in polar coordinates?

Work and energy are closely related concepts in polar coordinates, but there is a key difference. Work is a measure of the transfer of energy from one object to another, while energy is a measure of an object's ability to do work. In polar coordinates, work is a scalar quantity while energy is a vector quantity.

4. How is the conservation of energy applied in polar coordinates?

The conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In polar coordinates, this means that the total energy of an object remains constant as it moves along a curved path, even as its position and velocity may change.

5. What are some real-world applications of work-energy in polar coordinates?

Work-energy in polar coordinates is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating the energy required for a spacecraft to enter orbit, determining the trajectory of a projectile, and analyzing the motion of objects in circular motion (such as a racecar on a track).