How many trips will the box make before coming to rest?

• Thread starter octahedron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work-energy
In summary, the box slides down a frictionless hill, crossing a rough surface before hitting a spring. The box's kinetic energy is increased by the work done by the frictional and gravitational forces, and the box will make 10 trips across the surface before coming to rest.
octahedron

Homework Statement

A 5.0 kg box slides down a 5-m-high frictionless hill, starting from rest, across a 2-m-long horizontal surface, then hits a horizontal spring with spring constant 500 N/m. The other end of the spring is frictionless, but the 2.0-m-long horizontal surface is rough. The coefficient of kinetic friction of the box on this surface is 0.25.

(a) What is the speed of the box just before reaching the rough surface?
(b) What is the speed of the box just before hitting the spring?
(c) How far is the spring compressed?
(d) Including the first crossing, how many complete trips will the box make across the rough surface before coming to rest?

Homework Equations

W_nc = delta-E

The Attempt at a Solution

So I actually solved (a)-(c) using non-conservative work and delta energy. My solutions for (a)-(c), if that would help, were

(a) 9.9 m/s
(b) 9.39 m/s
(c) 0.959 m

However I honestly haven't a clue as to how to approach (d) besides the "obvious" long way by going through the velocities over and over again until it reaches zero. Any elegant way here?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, use energy... the work done by friction is the same each time the object crosses the rough surface. Use the initial energy... and the work by friction per trip across the rough surface... to get the number of trips before energy of the box becomes zero.

I think its even a better idea if you use the kinetic energy of the box just before hitting the rough surface since you are including the first crossing too.
Like learningphysics said:
- Find you how much work it takes each time (its going to be the same) the box crosses the rough surface
W = f*d = mu*N(normal)*d
- Use the kinetic energy of the box just before hitting the surface (Ek = mv^2/2)
Then C*W = Ek where C is the constant (number of times it crosses the rough surface)

I was having trouble with part d of this problem, as well. Thank you Hells_Kitchen and LearningPhysics for your help.

However, I'm still confused. Why is it that we don't need to worry about the work the spring does or the work that gravity does? Why is it that Wnet is just the work done by friction?

Thank you!

Notice that the work done by the frictional force is not merely [tex]W_{net}[/tex] but the work done by nonconservative forces [tex]W_{nc}[/tex], and since the spring and gravitational forces are not nonconservative, they are not factored in the calculation.

Then it follows that [tex]W_{nc} = \Delta E[/tex], and you use energy done throughout the work completed to obtain the \total\ distance traveled across the rough surface.

Thanks everybody; I used learningphysics's method and got the correct answer, which is 10 times.

Last edited:
Thank you, Octahedron. It all makes sense now.

1. How is the number of trips calculated?

The number of trips is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the average distance covered in a single trip.

2. What factors affect the number of trips the box can make?

The number of trips the box can make is affected by the weight of the box, the surface it is being moved on, and the force with which it is being pushed or pulled.

3. Does the shape of the box affect the number of trips it can make?

Yes, the shape of the box can affect the number of trips it can make. A box with a larger surface area will experience more friction and therefore make fewer trips compared to a box with a smaller surface area.

4. Can the number of trips be increased by changing the force applied?

Yes, increasing the force applied to the box can increase the number of trips it can make before coming to rest. However, this also means that more force is required to move the box and the energy expenditure will be higher.

5. How does friction play a role in the number of trips the box can make?

Friction plays a major role in determining the number of trips the box can make. The higher the friction between the box and the surface it is being moved on, the lower the number of trips it can make before coming to rest.