Understanding Work Calculations with Inclines

In summary: In the first equation, the net work done by the force is ##F d = \Delta PE + \Delta KE## and in the second equation, the net work done on the block is ##\Delta KE=F d - mgh##.
Sarah00

Homework Statement

screenshot_1.png

Guys, consider the above image.
Let the incline to be smooth.

If I want to find NET WORK ..

There are 2 formulas ..

W = Fd and W = Change in Mecahnical Energy

In First Formula

Wnet = Wf + Wmg
Wnet = Fd - mgsin37 * d

In second Formula

Wnet = Change in KE + Change in PE
Fd = Change in KE + Change in PENot I got confused .. I know I am doing right..
But in first formula: Wnet = Wf + Wmg but in the second I substittued Fd only for Wnet

So which one is Wnet? I hope you get my point

Homework Equations

W = Fd
W = Change in KE + Change in PE

The Attempt at a Solution

not a problem needing solution. It is about the concepts

Physics news on Phys.org
I think my question was not clear enough..
I will try to paraphrase it..
I know that work is the vector product of displacement and force.
If we have more than one force, the net work is the sum of work for each force.
So, as we have in the incline: Wnet = Wmg + WF

Now, we move to concept of work and its relation to energy.
Net work is the change in the mechanical energy.
Wnet = Change in KE + Change in PE
Here, Wnet is only WF right? Not Wmg + Wf.

So, sometime we consider the Wmg in Wnet and sometime not .. Please help me to resolve this confusion

If the incline is not frictionless, you need to include the work done by the force of friction. You cannot just drop it out.

Likes Sarah00
Thanks for your reply but I stated in the second line of my post that the incline is smooth, so no friction

Sarah00 said:
Thanks for your reply but I stated in the second line of my post that the incline is smooth, so no friction

Oh, well then the friction term goes away for both formulas, and they are the same, no? Maybe I'm missing your question... :smile:

Likes Sarah00
My confusion point is in the formula:

Wnet = Change in Mechanical Energy
What does Wnet mean here?

Sarah00 said:
My confusion point is in the formula:

Wnet = Change in Mechanical Energy
What does Wnet mean here?

Just the change in potential energy ΔPE = mgΔh.

Likes Sarah00
I think you're confused because the Wnet that you use in the two different equations mean different things. In your first equation, the work is the sum of the work due to gravity and the work due to the applied force, which equals Wnet. An important detail that you're missing is that this Wnet in this case is also equal to the change in kinetic energy, meaning that you get the equation Change in kinetic energy = Fd - mgsin37d. In your second equation, work is considered to be only the work that isn't conserved. The change in energy on the right side now includes the change in kinetic energy. Since the change in PE that you use here is also equal to mgsin37d, you end up getting the equation Change in kinetic energy = Fd - mgsin37d, which is also what you get in the first equation if you sub in Change in kinetic energy for Wnet. Basically, you accounted for kinetic energy in the work in the second equation but not the first. They are both right, but the two values for work aren't referring to the same thing in both cases.

Likes Sarah00 and berkeman
Thanks, I figured out that they are equal.
But if the questions asked me to find Wnet .. Which one is Wnet?

Lets take this question:
A 1 kg rock is thrown directy upward with an initial velocity of 20 m/s. Assume no air resistance, the net work done to reach the maximum height is: ___

Now ..

If I used the first formula .. The only force I have is force of gravity. So Wnet = Wmg = mgd = 1*10*d = 10*d = 10 * 20 = 200 J
But by using second formula .. Wnet = Change in Mechanical Energy = 0 J

I read the replies again ..
Wnet = W1+ W2 + W3
This Wnet = KE NOT Wnet = KE + PE

It depends whether you mean the net work done by the force (##F d = \Delta PE + \Delta KE##), or the net work done on the block (##\Delta KE=F d - mgh##).

1. What is the formula for calculating work on an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating work on an inclined plane is W = Fd cosθ, where W is work, F is the applied force, d is the distance over which the force is applied, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

2. How do you determine the angle θ for an inclined plane?

The angle θ for an inclined plane can be determined by measuring the height and length of the plane and using the formula θ = tan^-1(height/length). Alternatively, you can use a protractor to measure the angle directly.

3. Can you have negative work on an inclined plane?

Yes, negative work can occur on an inclined plane if the applied force is in the opposite direction of the motion. This means that the force is doing work against the motion rather than with it.

4. How does the weight of an object affect work calculations on an inclined plane?

The weight of an object affects work calculations on an inclined plane because it is the force that is being applied to the object. The steeper the incline, the more work is required to lift the object against the force of gravity.

5. What is the difference between work done on a flat surface versus an inclined plane?

The main difference between work done on a flat surface and an inclined plane is the direction of the force. On a flat surface, the force is perpendicular to the direction of motion, while on an inclined plane, the force is parallel to the direction of motion. This results in a different angle being used in the work calculation.