1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Work function (photoelectric effect)

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    During successive illumination of a surface of a particular metal with radiation of wavelengths [tex]\lambda _1 =0.35 \mu m[/tex] and [tex]\lambda _2=0.54 \mu m[/tex], we find that the respective maximum velocities of the photoelectrons have a difference between each other of a factor 2. Calculate the work function of the surface of the metal.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]E_1=\phi + E_k_1[/tex] where [tex]E_1[/tex] is the energy of a photon whose wavelength is [tex]\lambda _1[/tex], [tex]\phi[/tex] is the work function and [tex]E_k_1[/tex] is the maximum kinetic energy of a photoelectron detached by a photon with wavelength [tex]\lambda _1[/tex].
    [tex]E_2=\phi + E_k_2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the equations, [tex]E_k_2 -E_k_1 = E_2-E_1 \Rightarrow \frac{m_e v_2 ^2}{2}-\frac{m_e v_1 ^2}{2}[/tex]. But I'm told that [tex]v_1=2 v_2 \Rightarrow -\frac{3 m_e v_2 ^2}{2}=E_2-E_1 \Rightarrow v_2 ^2 =\frac{2}{3 m_e} (E_1 - E_2)[/tex] and furthermore [tex]\phi =E_2 -E_k_2[/tex].
    Using [tex]E=h \nu[/tex], [tex]E_1 =5.67948768 \times 10 ^{-19}J[/tex], [tex]E_2=3.68114942 \times 10 ^{-19}J[/tex].
    [tex]m_e=9.10938215 \times 10 ^{-31}kg[/tex].
    I find that [tex]\phi =3.01503667 \times 10 ^{-19}J[/tex] which is less than 2eV.
    However a friend told me he solved the exercise without having to plug the mass of the electron (I think it cancels out in his arithmetics) and he found out [tex]\phi =4.78 eV[/tex] and according to him it corresponds to a copper surface (according to him but I see that silver and carbon have a closer work function to his value than copper has), which makes his result much more credible than mine.
    Where did I go wrong? I'm really clueless.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2
    What you've done looks fine to me, as long as your numbers are right, but let me mull it over in the back of my mind for a bit.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook