Work function (photoelectric effect)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the work function of a metal surface based on the difference in maximum velocities of photoelectrons when illuminated by radiation of two different wavelengths. The equations used are E_1=\phi + E_k_1 and E_2=\phi + E_k_2, and it is determined that \phi =3.01503667 \times 10 ^{-19}J. However, there is a discrepancy with a friend's result of \phi =4.78 eV, which may indicate an error in the calculations.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

During successive illumination of a surface of a particular metal with radiation of wavelengths [tex]\lambda _1 =0.35 \mu m[/tex] and [tex]\lambda _2=0.54 \mu m[/tex], we find that the respective maximum velocities of the photoelectrons have a difference between each other of a factor 2. Calculate the work function of the surface of the metal.

Homework Equations

[tex]E_1=\phi + E_k_1[/tex] where [tex]E_1[/tex] is the energy of a photon whose wavelength is [tex]\lambda _1[/tex], [tex]\phi[/tex] is the work function and [tex]E_k_1[/tex] is the maximum kinetic energy of a photoelectron detached by a photon with wavelength [tex]\lambda _1[/tex].
[tex]E_2=\phi + E_k_2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equations, [tex]E_k_2 -E_k_1 = E_2-E_1 \Rightarrow \frac{m_e v_2 ^2}{2}-\frac{m_e v_1 ^2}{2}[/tex]. But I'm told that [tex]v_1=2 v_2 \Rightarrow -\frac{3 m_e v_2 ^2}{2}=E_2-E_1 \Rightarrow v_2 ^2 =\frac{2}{3 m_e} (E_1 - E_2)[/tex] and furthermore [tex]\phi =E_2 -E_k_2[/tex].
Using [tex]E=h \nu[/tex], [tex]E_1 =5.67948768 \times 10 ^{-19}J[/tex], [tex]E_2=3.68114942 \times 10 ^{-19}J[/tex].
[tex]m_e=9.10938215 \times 10 ^{-31}kg[/tex].
I find that [tex]\phi =3.01503667 \times 10 ^{-19}J[/tex] which is less than 2eV.
However a friend told me he solved the exercise without having to plug the mass of the electron (I think it cancels out in his arithmetics) and he found out [tex]\phi =4.78 eV[/tex] and according to him it corresponds to a copper surface (according to him but I see that silver and carbon have a closer work function to his value than copper has), which makes his result much more credible than mine.
Where did I go wrong? I'm really clueless.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've done looks fine to me, as long as your numbers are right, but let me mull it over in the back of my mind for a bit.

1. What is work function?

Work function, also known as the threshold energy, is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from a material through the photoelectric effect.

2. How is work function related to the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. The work function is the minimum energy needed for this emission to occur.

3. What factors affect the work function of a material?

The work function of a material is determined by its atomic structure and the strength of the bonds holding the electrons to the material. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and the presence of impurities.

4. How is work function measured?

Work function can be measured using a device called a Kelvin probe, which measures the potential difference between a sample and a reference electrode. It can also be calculated using the equation W = h*ν - φ, where h is Planck's constant, ν is the frequency of the incident light, and φ is the photoelectric threshold frequency.

5. Why is work function important in understanding the photoelectric effect?

Work function is important because it helps explain the behavior of electrons in the photoelectric effect. It also allows us to predict the minimum frequency of light needed to cause electron emission and understand the energy transfer between light and matter.