Work on a proton/Electic Potential

In summary, the question is asking for the amount of external work needed to move a proton from a point with a potential of 95 V to a point with a potential of -54 V, and the answer should be expressed in Joules. The equation U=qV can be used to relate the change in potential to work, but the value of the point charge (q) is unknown. After some further thought, the asker was able to figure out the solution.
sdoyle1

Homework Statement

Imagine that a proton is held on the end of an insulated rod. How much external work is needed to move the proton from a point with a potential of 95 V to a point where it is -54V?
Express your answer in Joules, watch out for the sign of the answer.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that you could use U=qV but it's not working- I also don't know what the point charge (q) would be. I chose this equation because you can relate the change in potential to work (U=-W)... Guidance would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured it out.. :)

1. What is a proton?

A proton is a subatomic particle with a positive charge found in the nucleus of an atom. It is composed of two up quarks and one down quark and has a relative mass of 1.

2. How does work on a proton affect its electric potential?

Work on a proton can change its electric potential, which is the amount of energy needed to move the proton from one point to another. This is because work involves transferring energy to or from the proton, which can impact its electric potential.

3. What factors affect the electric potential of a proton?

The electric potential of a proton can be affected by its distance from other charged particles, the strength of the electric field it is in, and the work done on it.

4. How does electric potential relate to electric field?

Electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. It is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field, meaning that a stronger electric field results in a higher electric potential.

5. What practical applications does understanding work on a proton and electric potential have?

Understanding work on a proton and electric potential is important in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used in the design and operation of electrical devices, as well as in nuclear physics and particle accelerators.