Are You Working Out? What's Your Favorite Type of Exercise?

• Thread starter ice109
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: November I started doing a 1.75 mi walk with my dogs every day. Just doing that I have dropped ~15lb. I tried running with them but within a few weeks my feet were hurting, had to confine myself to walking. I have some pretty good running shoes and thought I could run some, but I am not a graceful runner, and at ~240lbs there is a lot of...um...ground to cover.In summary, most people exercise by lifting weights or running. Some people do other types of exercise as well.
Hey ice,

What do you have on weight gain for fast metabolisms?

Physics news on Phys.org
cyrusabdollahi said:
Hey ice,

What do you have on weight gain for fast metabolisms?

don't lift 6 days a week, do the bill starr 5x5 program, eat lots of complex carbs, poly-un and mono-unstaruated fats ( peanut butter is your friend, i go through that **** like it was candy ), eat a 500cal surplus everyday, have casein protein before you go to bed ( cottage cheese, also go through that stuff like candy ) and you know the usual 1-1.5g protein per kg body weight. the key is knowing your basil metabolic rate. there's calculators abound.

How long you been working out ice? Post a picture dammit.

cyrusabdollahi said:
How long you been working out ice? Post a picture dammit.

~ 5 years total ~2 years serious, I've had many set backs, I'm not as impressive as i should be

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/4383/img0350wo0.jpg

that was after my first concerted cutting session, i don't think it went well, i quit doing extra cardio about halfway through. this was either last thanksgiving or last christmas i don't remember. i was ~165 and I'm ~5' 10". I'm about 10lbs heavier now, maybe half of that is more muscle. this fall i'll going to a gym for the first time in about a year, i a full olympic weight set and squat rack at home.

wtf picture no work, one sec

Last edited by a moderator:
Im def. going to start lifting again come december. In the mean time I am going to do some looking into on diets for weight gain. For me that's the hardest part. Going to the gym was no problem, eating constantly is hard. You get sick of eating after about three days of stuffing your face.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Im def. going to start lifting again come december. In the mean time I am going to do some looking into on diets for weight gain. For me that's the hardest part. Going to the gym was no problem, eating constantly is hard. You get sick of eating after about three days of stuffing your face.

dude when i was bulking i was eating 2 double cheeseburgers every night as a midnight snack and a frosty sometimes too

Thats a GREAT source of good protien LOL! At least tuna has almost no cholesterol.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Thats a GREAT source of good protien LOL! At least tuna has almost no cholesterol.

tuna has mercury in it, and cholestral isn't a big deal if you're otherwise healthy.

I was talking to my friend on the phone and I've decided to start working out lightly again. My goal is to find a good diet by the end of this summer. I know school is going to ruin everything for me, so instead of working out hard, I am going to try and eat hard. Hopefully I can find the right diet and eat eat eat and continue eating (w/o working out) when school starts up. Eating is a bigger issue than going to the gym. I can go to the gym 5 days a week without needing encouragement.

Give me more info on diets ice. I am going to go back to the old http://www.bodybuilding.com/ and read some of their articles tomorrow.

You and your damn thread getting me motivated to lift again. o:)

cyrusabdollahi said:
I was talking to my friend on the phone and I've decided to start working out lightly again. My goal is to find a good diet by the end of this summer. I know school is going to ruin everything for me, so instead of working out hard, I am going to try and eat hard. Hopefully I can find the right diet and eat eat eat and continue eating (w/o working out) when school starts up. Eating is a bigger issue than going to the gym. I can go to the gym 5 days a week without needing encouragement.

Give me more info on diets ice. I am going to go back to the old http://www.bodybuilding.com/ and read some of their articles tomorrow.

You and your damn thread getting me motivated to lift again. o:)

bodybuilding.com sucks. go to t-nation.com, it's the physicsforums of strength training. school doesn't have to ruin anything. just plan ahead. http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/DietaryGuidelines.html good for diet info. you also don't need to go to the gym 5 days a week. http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm in the middle there's a 3 day split

Why does bodybuilding.com suck?

cyrusabdollahi said:
Why does bodybuilding.com suck?

cause you said it yourself, bodybuilders are notoriously unhealthy. they're more concerned with aesthetics than substance. bodybuilding routines are designed specifically size, 5 days splits like you were doing, not strength.

I agree. Bobybuilding.com is hurting.

What site do you use Jason?

I just do searches on Google and try to find 3-5 sites that agree and that are respectful.

There are good things about bodybuilding.com, but there are so many bad parts that a lot of things I can't take seriously. I still visit the site from time to time, but only like the Misc. section and such because it makes me laugh.

When I wanted real information on the site, I normally went to the PowerLifting forum. They probably have the best advice available on the site.

I'll try and get a picture of what I have now.

In my opinion, whoever follows the cutting and bulking regimen doesn't know what they're doing.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Well, I am not talking in terms of the forums, but the articles they have on there. The forums there are Garbage, I agree.

Such as: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt15.htm

It advertises to buy weight gain. I'm against that right away.

I'm pro fresh foods and no processed stuff, nevermind supplements. I used to take supplements and I will never deny it. The thing is though when you learn more about other parts of health and not just gaining muscles, you see that the fresh way is the way to go. It might be hard, but I have done it for a little while and noticed my greatest gains while taking no supplements.

I'm also pro eating things easy on the digestive tract. If you eat things that tough on the digestive tract, you're wasting all that energy on digesting food instead of like resting, recovering, and so on.

I'm an ectomorph, and if an ectomorph wants to gain weight, I'd say eat like a pig, but the healthy way. Like I said, I've tried this while going up to 160 pounds my goal (back then). I was eating an average of 4000-4500 calories a day. I gained weight already, but I also LOST FAT! Now that was awesome.

JasonRox said:
It advertises to buy weight gain. I'm against that right away.

I'm pro fresh foods and no processed stuff, nevermind supplements. I used to take supplements and I will never deny it. The thing is though when you learn more about other parts of health and not just gaining muscles, you see that the fresh way is the way to go. It might be hard, but I have done it for a little while and noticed my greatest gains while taking no supplements.

I'm also pro eating things easy on the digestive tract. If you eat things that tough on the digestive tract, you're wasting all that energy on digesting food instead of like resting, recovering, and so on.

I'm an ectomorph, and if an ectomorph wants to gain weight, I'd say eat like a pig, but the healthy way. Like I said, I've tried this while going up to 160 pounds my goal (back then). I was eating an average of 4000-4500 calories a day. I gained weight already, but I also LOST FAT! Now that was awesome.

I agree with you 100% :approve: My friend and I were talking on the phone how the 'good' things for you are naturally low in calories. Its usually the junk food that's high calorie, making it hard to get a lot of calories eating health food. You have to eat a TON of good food.

What do you eat Jason? (Thats my big thing, I always ask people what they eat to get new ideas. Ill ask them what they eat before I ask them how they lift).

Last edited:
M-F: 3hrs/day 5AM to 8AM. 1hr bike, 1 hr rowing on the water, 1hr bike home. Races on weekends. High-rep weights and stairs in the Winter.

5-8am, OUTCHH! :smile: That conflicts with my bedtime.

cyrusabdollahi said:
(Thats my big thing, I always ask people what they eat to get new ideas. Ill ask them what they eat before I ask them how they lift).

Same here!

I'm actually going to help someone train for hockey. He asked me for advice and stuff, but the first thing I said was... "What do you eat?" :biggrin:

Honestly, I eat everything pretty much fresh. The only thing that I eat that isn't fresh is Mini-Wheats (Cereal), Hashbrowns, Frozen Haddock, Frozen Berries, Salad Dressing, Pasta, Pasta Sauce and Dried Raisins. Dried Raisins isn't a bad thing. The hashbrowns is though. I hate it, but it's the only I can handle eating with eggs. I need ideas to what to eat with eggs besides chicken bacon and stuff because I avoid "lunch" meat. I eat Frozen Haddock because it's the only kind of fish I'll eat. Frozen berries because it's cheaper and it won't rot very fast which is a concern because it's expensive.

The fresh foods I eat are chicken breasts, apples, oranges, bananas, milk (lactose free), carrots, brocolli, onion, tomatoes, and cucumbers.

Those are the common foods. I also eat a variety of Asparagus, Green Beans, Pears, Peaches, Nectarines, Squash, Celery, Bagels, Whole Wheat Dough (I make pizza so I do have non-fresh pizza sauce and cheese), Grapes, Pineapples, Cantalopes, Grapefruits and a few more I can't remember. I just grab a few of these every week for something different where as the above I always get. So, I'm consuming different fruits everyday and every week.

It's amazing at the choices we have but yet no one takes advantage of it. I work in a grocery store and no one buys much of produce, which is sad because 80% of by cart is produce.

Another this is that I only drink 2 glasses of milk a day. As far as I know, the body doesn't digest milk that easily atleast it doesn't with lactose in it. I don't eat beef or pork and don't remember the last time I did. I don't remember the last time I ate frozen meals or frozen pizza. I ate some fast food on the weekend, but that was a chicken burger. I don't remember the time before that. Oh, and I eat half of whole wheat pasta and regular pasta. Can't really afford 100% whole wheat pasta yet, but I hope to have pure 100% fresh pasta when I finish school. I'll invest in a better diet rather than junk.

Anyways, it's nice to see other pro-health people around. Not many these days. Most people associate health with low calories (Diet Coke and things like that) and things they call "healthy" like sandwiches (not many sandwiches are actually good for you) and things like that. I'm really picky with food now.

I do eat junk from time to time though. That's the good part though because I eat so healthy that I don't even feel guilty about eating the junk when I do eat it. I eat lots of cake every now and then (more like once a month and I mean a lot), but it's good stuff. Like fresh cake made perfectly. Cost a lot, but I want good stuff. If I'm going to eat junk food, it has to be worth it. Again, not guilty. Where as other people I see eating it, say with me or something, normally feel guilty because they'll be like... "I shouldn't be eating this because I ate McDonald's today, or I ate fast food for like 3 days in a row earlier this week..." That sort of thing. People even laugh about how bad their diet is sometimes. They won't be laughing 5-10 years from now!

Haha, long post. Have fun reading it if you actually do!

mheslep said:
M-F: 3hrs/day 5AM to 8AM. 1hr bike, 1 hr rowing on the water, 1hr bike home. Races on weekends. High-rep weights and stairs in the Winter.

That is tooooooooooooo early.

Hes got a wife and kids and job though.

JasonRox said:
Same here!

I'm actually going to help someone train for hockey. He asked me for advice and stuff, but the first thing I said was... "What do you eat?" :biggrin:

Honestly, I eat everything pretty much fresh. The only thing that I eat that isn't fresh is Mini-Wheats (Cereal), Hashbrowns, Frozen Haddock, Frozen Berries, Salad Dressing, Pasta, Pasta Sauce and Dried Raisins. Dried Raisins isn't a bad thing. The hashbrowns is though. I hate it, but it's the only I can handle eating with eggs. I need ideas to what to eat with eggs besides chicken bacon and stuff because I avoid "lunch" meat. I eat Frozen Haddock because it's the only kind of fish I'll eat. Frozen berries because it's cheaper and it won't rot very fast which is a concern because it's expensive.

The fresh foods I eat are chicken breasts, apples, oranges, bananas, milk (lactose free), carrots, brocolli, onion, tomatoes, and cucumbers.

Those are the common foods. I also eat a variety of Asparagus, Green Beans, Pears, Peaches, Nectarines, Squash, Celery, Bagels, Whole Wheat Dough (I make pizza so I do have non-fresh pizza sauce and cheese), Grapes, Pineapples, Cantalopes, Grapefruits and a few more I can't remember. I just grab a few of these every week for something different where as the above I always get. So, I'm consuming different fruits everyday and every week.

It's amazing at the choices we have but yet no one takes advantage of it. I work in a grocery store and no one buys much of produce, which is sad because 80% of by cart is produce.

Another this is that I only drink 2 glasses of milk a day. As far as I know, the body doesn't digest milk that easily atleast it doesn't with lactose in it. I don't eat beef or pork and don't remember the last time I did. I don't remember the last time I ate frozen meals or frozen pizza. I ate some fast food on the weekend, but that was a chicken burger. I don't remember the time before that. Oh, and I eat half of whole wheat pasta and regular pasta. Can't really afford 100% whole wheat pasta yet, but I hope to have pure 100% fresh pasta when I finish school. I'll invest in a better diet rather than junk.

Anyways, it's nice to see other pro-health people around. Not many these days. Most people associate health with low calories (Diet Coke and things like that) and things they call "healthy" like sandwiches (not many sandwiches are actually good for you) and things like that. I'm really picky with food now.

I do eat junk from time to time though. That's the good part though because I eat so healthy that I don't even feel guilty about eating the junk when I do eat it. I eat lots of cake every now and then (more like once a month and I mean a lot), but it's good stuff. Like fresh cake made perfectly. Cost a lot, but I want good stuff. If I'm going to eat junk food, it has to be worth it. Again, not guilty. Where as other people I see eating it, say with me or something, normally feel guilty because they'll be like... "I shouldn't be eating this because I ate McDonald's today, or I ate fast food for like 3 days in a row earlier this week..." That sort of thing. People even laugh about how bad their diet is sometimes. They won't be laughing 5-10 years from now!

Haha, long post. Have fun reading it if you actually do!

:smile::smile: I must admit, right now I am eating all sorts of garbage because I am not eating food at home. Hopefully I will change that soon again. Then again, I can afford to eat junk and not worry because of my metabolism...excuses excuses :rolleyes:

cyrusabdollahi said:
:smile::smile: I must admit, right now I am eating all sorts of garbage because I am not eating food at home. Hopefully I will change that soon again. Then again, I can afford to eat junk and not worry because of my metabolism...excuses excuses :rolleyes:

Oh, my metabolism is ridiculously insane too!

Honestly though, you feel like more alive eating healthy too. Like, I wake up at like 7:30-8:00am everyday naturally. No alarm clocks or anything. I never set myself for it. It just started happening after awhile. Even after staying up late all the time. I'll be up until 1am tonight for sure, but I still wake up that early.

You just feel sooooooo good. Your metabolism starts going faster though. That's actually annoying because it's already really fast. People at work think I'm a freak because I eat so damn much, but I can't just not eat. If I don't eat every 2-3 hours, my stomach will start trouble and it's not fun as all the high metabolic people know. It feels like your stomach starts eating itself for food or something.

Cyrusadollahi,

I skipped a lot of this thread but forgot to reply one of your old posts.

Not that I'm very big in the first place, but you can certainly get to the same place I'm at. You've got to keep in mind that I was already knocking on 200lbs door when I was 15 years old. People are put together differently, but saying "never" isn't really a good way to look at things.

It's been almost 5 years of training for me now (I'm 22). 3 of those 5 years were spent with training sessions so intense there were nosebleeds, passing out, and throwing up on leg days. Some people in the thread have mentioned it's not very healthy, and I can imagine that it probably isn't, but it all comes down to what your particular goals are.

If you are looking for good articles, anything by Layne Norton (str8flexed) on bodybuilding.com is good stuff. He is a figurehead in the natural bodybuilding internet click now, but I was friends with him before he was, and he would never promote a product that he didn't believe in. Many of his articles even have nothing to do with supplements. He is also a lifetime 100% drug free bodybuilder and helped me with my first contest prep. His knowledge far exceeds anyone I have met before.

Cool, thanks a lot Beeza, Ill be sure to do a search for his stuff on the web.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Hes got a wife and kids and job though.

Yeah I do. You hacking back to me from the forum?:wink:

Beeza said:
Cyrusadollahi,

I skipped a lot of this thread but forgot to reply one of your old posts.

Not that I'm very big in the first place, but you can certainly get to the same place I'm at. You've got to keep in mind that I was already knocking on 200lbs door when I was 15 years old. People are put together differently, but saying "never" isn't really a good way to look at things.

It's been almost 5 years of training for me now (I'm 22). 3 of those 5 years were spent with training sessions so intense there were nosebleeds, passing out, and throwing up on leg days. Some people in the thread have mentioned it's not very healthy, and I can imagine that it probably isn't, but it all comes down to what your particular goals are.

If you are looking for good articles, anything by Layne Norton (str8flexed) on bodybuilding.com is good stuff. He is a figurehead in the natural bodybuilding internet click now, but I was friends with him before he was, and he would never promote a product that he didn't believe in. Many of his articles even have nothing to do with supplements. He is also a lifetime 100% drug free bodybuilder and helped me with my first contest prep. His knowledge far exceeds anyone I have met before.

yea when i first started i used to read that site and he was definitely impressive

Frequently asked questions on strength and fitness.

http://www.psu.edu/dept/fitness/faqs.htm

Fat: How is it measured?

Body Fat (BF) is usually given as a percentage of total weight. If a 100lb person has 10% BF, that person has 10lbs of fat and 90 pounds of lean body mass (LBM=water, muscle, bone, etc.).

There are 3500 calories in 1 pound of fat.

For men < 15% is considered athletic, 25% about average.
For women < 22% is considered athletic, 30% about average.

What are the best ways to lose weight?

Don't be so concerned about how much you weigh. Instead be concerned with how much of that weight is fat. You want the weight loss to be fat, not muscle or water.

To lose fat you need to burn more calories than you take in. To do it efficiently and to make sure it stays off, the following three steps should be taken and should become part of your every day lifestyle.

Start an aerobic program. The activity should be something that you like doing and look forward to doing. The activity doesn't need to be an aerobics class. Instead it could be walking, biking, inline/ice skating, dancing, etc. Anything that will elevate your HR and keep it around your Training Zone for at least 12 minutes. Remember, the longer the better.

Modify what you eat. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, chicken, rice, potatoes, etc. Simply switching the obvious foods will make a big difference, such as, skim instead of whole milk, chicken instead of hamburger, bagels instead of croissants, etc. Also eating small meals more frequently during the day will raise your metabolism and keep you from getting hungry.

Incorporate Resistance Training To build muscle that will, in turn, help burn calories throughout the day. A simple weight program where you slowly add weight and perform basic exercises every other day, such as, Leg Press, Bench Press, Pull-downs, and Military Press is enough for most people.

What are the best ways to gain weight?

To gain weight you need to consume more calories than you burn up. To do it efficiently, and to make the weight muscle, not fat, you'll need to start a weight training program. To do this, slowly increase your caloric intake, usually by eating another meal during the day. Make sure the food is protein and carbohydrates and not fat. Give it time. 10-15 pounds of muscle in a year is pretty good.

I stumbled across this dude while looking at music videos.

72 Year-Old Man Body Building Every Day

Pretty inspiring.

ice109 mentioned Dan Draper.

I popped over to Draper's site -

1) Bench press
2) Dumbbell press, flat and incline
3) Lateral raise, sidearm, front, bentover
4) Stiffarm dumbbell pullover
5) Cable crossover
6) Pulldowns
7) Seated lat rows
8) Bentover row, one- and two-arm
9) Standing barbell curl
10) Dumbbell curls, standing, seated alternate, incline
11) Triceps pulley pushdown
12) Triceps extensions, lying and overhead
13) Dips
14) Chins
15) Squats
16) Leg extension
17) Leg curl
18) Calf raise, seated and standing
19) Deadlifts
20) Midsection, crunches and leg raise

One doesn't have to become ripped with huge muscles, but it nice to have the strength when needed.

Astronuc said:
ice109 mentioned Dan Draper.

I popped over to Draper's site -

1) Bench press
2) Dumbbell press, flat and incline
3) Lateral raise, sidearm, front, bentover
4) Stiffarm dumbbell pullover
5) Cable crossover
6) Pulldowns
7) Seated lat rows
8) Bentover row, one- and two-arm
9) Standing barbell curl
10) Dumbbell curls, standing, seated alternate, incline
11) Triceps pulley pushdown
12) Triceps extensions, lying and overhead
13) Dips
14) Chins
15) Squats
16) Leg extension
17) Leg curl
18) Calf raise, seated and standing
19) Deadlifts
20) Midsection, crunches and leg raise

One doesn't have to become ripped with huge muscles, but it nice to have the strength when needed.

That is A LOT of different exercises for any normal person. If someone just works hard on squats, benchpress, dips, and chins they should see some significant results.

FrogPad said:
That is A LOT of different exercises for any normal person. If someone just works hard on squats, benchpress, dips, and chins they should see some significant results.

Exactly. I do mainly body weight exercises and I feel and look great.