Cyclist's Speed for 0.25 hp Output on 6° Hill

In summary, to maintain a power output of 0.25 horsepower while cycling up a 6 degree hill, a cyclist must maintain a velocity of approximately 2.6 m/s. This can be calculated by finding the force needed to cancel out gravity and using the equation P = F * v.
cyspope

Homework Statement

67. How fast must a cyclist climb a 6 degrees hill to maintain a power output of 0.25 horse power? Neglect work done by friction and assume the mass of cyclist plus bicycle is 70 kg.

A. 2.6 m/s

Homework Equations

W = mgh = Fdsin[tex]\theta[/tex]= [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]mv[tex]^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(0.25 hp * 735.5 W * 3600 J) = 70 * 9.8 * h * sin(6) = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]*70v[tex]^{2}[/tex]

661950=71.707h =35v[tex]^{2}[/tex]

I don't get how the answer should be only 2.6 m/s.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think your equations may be confusing you.

For instance what is h? h or (d) should be the distance that the cyclist is traveling.
so h=d sin (6) make sense?

now [tex] W = -\Delta U[/tex] so if you call your initial position h=0 your final potential is mgh

now can you use d to solve for velocity?

but how do I find the velocity to maintain 0.25 hp?

661950 = 35v[tex]^{2}[/tex]
v[tex]^{2}[/tex] = 18912
v = 137.524 m/s

this is not what I should get. I need to get 2.6 m/s.

This may help you out

[tex]P=\frac{dW}{dt}=\frac{F\cdot ds}{dt} = F \cdot v[/tex]

So you should figure out the force he needs to cancel out gravity, and from there get the velocity. Be careful of units, and it should be a straight shot.

What does "Cyclist's Speed for 0.25 hp Output on 6° Hill" refer to?

"Cyclist's Speed for 0.25 hp Output on 6° Hill" refers to the speed at which a cyclist can travel on a 6° incline using 0.25 horsepower as their energy output.

How is "Cyclist's Speed for 0.25 hp Output on 6° Hill" calculated?

The calculation for "Cyclist's Speed for 0.25 hp Output on 6° Hill" takes into account the weight of the cyclist and their bicycle, the incline of the hill, and the amount of horsepower they are using. It also factors in air resistance and friction.

What is considered a good speed for a cyclist on a 6° hill with 0.25 hp output?

On average, a cyclist using 0.25 horsepower can travel at a speed of 7-10 miles per hour on a 6° incline. However, this can vary depending on the weight and fitness level of the cyclist, as well as the type of bicycle and road conditions.

How does the speed change if the incline is steeper?

The speed of a cyclist using 0.25 horsepower on a 6° incline will decrease as the incline becomes steeper. This is because more energy is needed to overcome the increased resistance from gravity and friction. The exact change in speed will depend on the specific incline and other factors.

What is the significance of studying "Cyclist's Speed for 0.25 hp Output on 6° Hill"?

Studying "Cyclist's Speed for 0.25 hp Output on 6° Hill" can provide valuable insights for cyclists, coaches, and researchers. It can help improve training methods, determine the most efficient ways to climb hills, and understand the limits and capabilities of human-powered transportation.