Work phythagorean theorem Question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the work needed to stand a uniform rectangular marble slab on end, and also how to calculate the work done in moving a cart up an incline with and without friction. The solution for the marble slab involves using the formula work = force x distance, and the solution for the cart involves considering the force of friction and the distance along the incline. The final work needed for the cart is found by adding the work without friction to the work of friction.
SS2006
this is drivnig me nuts I've doen eveyrthin gon the worksheet but this is a weird one

A unifrom rectangular marble slab is 3.4m long and 2.0m wide. It has a mass of 180KG. If it is originally lying on the flag ground, how much work is needed to stand it on end.

I know work = force X distance
and to get force i multiply 180X9.8 like I've doen in all the other questions
but what's teh distance here it rises, it ried phythagorean theorem to get the distance and all these weird aways
but the asnwer should be
3000 J
dont nkow what to do!
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
and another
Q1 was)
A 200 kg cart is pushed slowly up an incline. How much work does the pushing force do in moivng the cart up to a platorm 1.5m above the starting point if frciton is negligible

that was fairly easy, (200X9.8) = 1960 X 1.5 = 2940 J

Q2 is )
Repeat Q1 if the distance along hte incilne to the platofrom is 7m and a fricotin force of 150N opposes the motion.
I didnt know how to handle this, but i see doing 7X150 = 1050
and adding that to the first asnwer 2940J gives me the right answer
can anyone expalin why this worked?
i thoguht id have to do 1960X7 instead and what would i do with force

please ppl!

Related to Work phythagorean theorem Question

What is the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is a mathematical equation that relates the side lengths of a right triangle. It states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

How do you use the Pythagorean Theorem?

To use the Pythagorean Theorem, you first need to identify a right triangle. Then, you can plug in the known values for the lengths of the sides into the equation a² + b² = c², where a and b are the shorter sides and c is the hypotenuse. Solve for the missing side length by taking the square root of both sides.

Why is the Pythagorean Theorem important?

The Pythagorean Theorem is important because it is a fundamental concept in geometry and has many real-world applications. It can be used to solve problems involving right triangles, such as finding the distance between two points on a coordinate plane or calculating the length of a diagonal in a square or rectangle.

Who discovered the Pythagorean Theorem?

The Pythagorean Theorem is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Pythagoras, who is credited with discovering it. However, there is evidence that the theorem was known to other civilizations before Pythagoras, such as the Babylonians and the Chinese.

What are some common misconceptions about the Pythagorean Theorem?

One common misconception is that the Pythagorean Theorem only applies to right triangles. In reality, it can be used for any triangle with a right angle. Another misconception is that the equation only works for whole numbers, but it can be used with any numbers, including fractions and decimals.