1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work required to move a charged ball

1. Feb 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ring of diameter 7.10 cm is fixed in place and carries a charge of 5.00 μC uniformly spread over its circumference. How much work does it take to move a tiny 3.40 μC charged ball of mass 1.70 g from very far away to the center of the ring?

2. Relevant equations
    I tried using: [tex]W=-\Delta U[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    We know that when the ball is very far away U=0J

Then to find the potential energy when the ball is in the center of the ring I did:
    Change in charge is [tex]5.00X10^{-9}C/2\pi(0.0710m)=1.12X10^{-8}C/m[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{k*q*dq}{r} ds[/tex] from 0 to 2pi.

[tex]\frac{k*q*dq}{r} \int ds[/tex] from 0 to 2pi.

[tex]\frac{8.988X10^{9}N*m^2/C^2*3.40X10^{-9}C*1.12*10^{-8}C/m}{0.0710m} \int ds[/tex] from 0 to 2pi [tex]=3.031X10^-5J[/tex].

[tex]W=-\Delta U=-(3.031X10^-5J-0J)=-3.031X10^-5J[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

I'm having trouble following your integral from the first line. I'm thinking V = kq/r for a point charge so dV = k/r*dq, where r is the radius of the ring.
    Ah, you are doing energy E = QV so dE = QdV = kQ/r*dq
    I'm using q for the charge on the ring, Q for the charge on the particle.
    Your s must be something to do with the arc length going round the ring.
    So dq = q/(2*pi*r)*ds
    Using s = r*A where A is the angle running from 0 to 2pi, you get ds = r*dA and
    dq = q/(2*pi)dA
    so the integral is dE = kQq/(2*pi*r)*dA from A = 0 to 2*pi.
    The nice thing about this integral is that nothing depends on the angle so
    integral 0 to 2*pi of dA is just 2*pi.
    E = kQq/r.
    Well, I guess we didn't need to integrate at all! Because all the charge is the same distance from the center point.
  4. Feb 1, 2009 #3
    I'm still slightly confused. So I can find E at the center of the ring using E=kQq/r. But, since W=-(U_f-U_i) how do I get U from E? Since E=kq/r^2 and U=kq_1*q_2/r would you just multiply the E you get by qr and if so what q would you use: the charge on the ring or the charge on the ball? Thanks for your help.
  5. Feb 2, 2009 #4
    Try this approach. Find E as a function of r along the axis of the ring using integration. Then

The work done is

Is the mass in a gravitational field also and if so what is the orientation of the ring axis with the field?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?