Solve Work w/ Pulleys Homework: Answer & Explanation

In summary, to find the work done by the force F in raising a 4-kg mass M from the ground to a height of 5 m, you need to consider the vertical component of the force. This can be calculated using the equation W = Fd cos(theta), where theta is the angle between the force and the vertical displacement (in this case, 0 degrees). The force F is unknown, so the equation cannot be used to directly solve for the work. However, by understanding that only the vertical component of the force is responsible for the work done, we can determine that the work required is 200 J.
Coop

Homework Statement

A force F is used to raise a 4-kg mass M from the ground to a height of 5 m. What is the work done by the force F? (Note: sin60 = 0.87; cos60 = 0.5. Ignore friction and the weights of the pulleys.)

A) 50 J
B) 100 J
C) 174 J
D) 200 J

http://www.bestsamplequestions.com/mcat-sample-questions/mcat-sample-questions-physical-sciences/images/mcat-sample-questions-physical-science-ques-57.gif

Homework Equations

[tex]W=Fdcos(\theta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I get that it takes 200 J of energy to raise a 4-kg weight 5 m. But I don't see how the force F does 200 J of work when referring to the relevant equation. Since theta is the angle between the force F and velocity of object, why would you not say [tex]W=(4 kg)(10\frac{m}{s^2})(5 m)cos(150)[/tex]? This would give 174 J. I guess what I am confused about is why is the theta said to be 0?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Coop said:
I get that it takes 200 J of energy to raise a 4-kg weight 5 m. But I don't see how the force F does 200 J of work when referring to the relevant equation. Since theta is the angle between the force F and velocity of object, why would you not say [tex]W=(4 kg)(10\frac{m}{s^2})(5 m)cos(150)[/tex]? This would give 174 J. I guess what I am confused about is why is the theta said to be 0?

Well first, θ would be the angle between the F and d, which in your picture would be 30°

But you don't know what "F" is so how would you use that equation?

Think of it in terms of gravitational energy

(It said ignore friction, I'm also going to make the assumption that once it's at a height of 5 meters it has no velocity. Maybe someone can correct me but I think you have to make this assumption?)

EDIT:
Rereading it I see that you said you understand the answer:
Coop said:
I get that it takes 200 J of energy to raise a 4-kg weight 5 m
Your question is basically just that you're confused because this seems to imply theta=0 (right?)

Well the answer is that it doesn't imply that because the Force is unknwon, therefore the equation doesn't apply (there's 2 unknowns in it)

Likes 1 person
Coop said:
I get that it takes 200 J of energy to raise a 4-kg weight 5 m.
Yes, if the force applied is parallel to the displacement of the mass. This is not the case in your problem.
But I don't see how the force F does 200 J of work when referring to the relevant equation. Since theta is the angle between the force F and velocity of object, why would you not say [tex]W=(4 kg)(10\frac{m}{s^2})(5 m)cos(150)[/tex]? This would give 174 J. I guess what I am confused about is why is the theta said to be 0?
If F and d are parallel, the angle between them is zero. You want to find the [STRIKE]force[/STRIKE] work required to raise the mass 5m from the ground. What component of the force is responsible for vertical displacement of the mass?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
@Nathanael

Ah, I think I was just making a stupid mistake. I was letting F = the force of gravity on the weight. Thanks for pointing that out.

CAF123 said:
You want to find the force required to raise the mass 5m from the ground.
The problem just said find the work not the force

CAF123 said:
If F and d are parallel, the angle between them is zero. You want to find the force required to raise the mass 5m from the ground. What component of the force is responsible for vertical displacement of the mass?

So only the parallel component is responsible for doing the work, correct?

Nathanael said:
The problem just said find the work not the force
Typo corrected.

Coop said:
So only the parallel component is responsible for doing the work, correct?
Work required to raise the mass 5m from the ground means you are interested in the vertical component of the force. Can you write an explicit equation for this?

1. What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine consisting of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. It is used to change the direction of a force and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. How does a pulley work?

A pulley works by distributing the weight of an object over multiple ropes or cables, reducing the amount of force needed to lift or move the object. When the rope is pulled, the wheel rotates and the object moves in the desired direction.

3. What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys have a stationary axle and are used to change the direction of a force. Movable pulleys have a moveable axle and are used to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object. Compound pulleys consist of a combination of fixed and movable pulleys and provide both a change in direction and a mechanical advantage.

4. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is calculated by dividing the output force by the input force. For a fixed pulley, the mechanical advantage is always 1. For a movable pulley, the mechanical advantage is equal to the number of ropes supporting the object. For a compound pulley, the mechanical advantage can be calculated by multiplying the mechanical advantages of each individual pulley in the system.

5. What are some real-world applications of pulleys?

Pulleys have many real-world applications, including elevators, cranes, flagpoles, and sailboat rigging. They are also commonly used in exercise equipment, such as weightlifting machines, and in vehicles, such as cars and bicycles.