1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work with velocity and force

1. Oct 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A box of mass 49 kg is initially at rest on a flat floor. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor is 0.60. A woman pushes horizontally against the box with a force of 628 N until the box attains a speed of 3 m/s.

What is the work done by the woman on the box?

and

What is the CM-work done by the friction force on the box?

2. Relevant equations

W=F (delata x)
    &
    W(f)= uN (delta x)

3. The attempt at a solution

Since work is in joules, I tried calculating it by multiplying force by velocity squared but that gave me a wrong answer. If I had the right answer for work I'd solve for delta x and use that to solve for work of friction

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2013 #2
    Try to think Kinematics: You know the mass, you know that it starts from rest, and you know the box's final speed.

4. Oct 10, 2013 #3
    Also CM-work is center of mass right? not centimeter?

5. Oct 10, 2013 #4
    I believe so, yes.

6. Oct 10, 2013 #5
    vf^2 = vo^2 + 2(a) d? seems to be what I'm looking for maybe. Do I use F=ma to splve for a? so 3^2 = 2 (d) 628/49. making d = 441/1256? so W= 628 (441/1256) = 220.5

7. Oct 10, 2013 #6
    I believe you can use f=ma to solve for acceleration. From there, use a kinematics equation to solve for distance in the x direction. Then you can multiply that by the force to solve for work.

8. Oct 10, 2013 #7
    But that's the KE, they're not the same are they?

9. Oct 10, 2013 #8
    So delta KE is 220.5, work by woman 220.5, and work by the force of friction = (u)mg (d) = .6(9.8)49( 441/1256) = 101.1631... ? Is that right?

10. Oct 10, 2013 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's why dimensional analysis is so handy.

Energy and work have the same derived units: W = (M*L^2/T^2)

If you apply dimensional analysis to your original supposition that W = F*V^2,
    you would see that F = M*L/T^2 and V^2 = L^2/T^2, so W = M*L^3/T^4,
    which isn't even close to the correct W = M*L^2/T^2

11. Oct 10, 2013 #10
    Yeah, I didn't use that supposition. I used vf^2 = vo^2 + 2(a) d instead to find distance... I just want to know if my answers for work of the woman and of the friction force are correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted