Calculating Work and Friction in a Box on a Flat Floor

In summary, a 49 kg box is pushed horizontally by a woman with a force of 628 N until it reaches a speed of 3 m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor is 0.60. The work done by the woman on the box is 220.5 J, while the CM-work done by the friction force on the box is 101.1631 J.
gcharles_42

Homework Statement

A box of mass 49 kg is initially at rest on a flat floor. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor is 0.60. A woman pushes horizontally against the box with a force of 628 N until the box attains a speed of 3 m/s.

What is the work done by the woman on the box?

and

What is the CM-work done by the friction force on the box?

Homework Equations

W=F (delata x)
&
W(f)= uN (delta x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Since work is in joules, I tried calculating it by multiplying force by velocity squared but that gave me a wrong answer. If I had the right answer for work I'd solve for delta x and use that to solve for work of friction

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to think Kinematics: You know the mass, you know that it starts from rest, and you know the box's final speed.

Also CM-work is center of mass right? not centimeter?

I believe so, yes.

vf^2 = vo^2 + 2(a) d? seems to be what I'm looking for maybe. Do I use F=ma to splve for a? so 3^2 = 2 (d) 628/49. making d = 441/1256? so W= 628 (441/1256) = 220.5

I believe you can use f=ma to solve for acceleration. From there, use a kinematics equation to solve for distance in the x direction. Then you can multiply that by the force to solve for work.

But that's the KE, they're not the same are they?

So delta KE is 220.5, work by woman 220.5, and work by the force of friction = (u)mg (d) = .6(9.8)49( 441/1256) = 101.1631... ? Is that right?

gcharles_42 said:
But that's the KE, they're not the same are they?

That's why dimensional analysis is so handy.

Energy and work have the same derived units: W = (M*L^2/T^2)

If you apply dimensional analysis to your original supposition that W = F*V^2,
you would see that F = M*L/T^2 and V^2 = L^2/T^2, so W = M*L^3/T^4,
which isn't even close to the correct W = M*L^2/T^2

Yeah, I didn't use that supposition. I used vf^2 = vo^2 + 2(a) d instead to find distance... I just want to know if my answers for work of the woman and of the friction force are correct?

1. What is the difference between velocity and force?

Velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object changes its position. It is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction. Force, on the other hand, is a push or pull on an object that causes it to change its velocity. It is also a vector quantity and is measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How are velocity and force related in terms of work?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force. This means that when a force is applied to an object, causing it to move in the direction of the force, work is being done. The greater the force and the greater the distance traveled, the more work is done. This shows the direct relationship between velocity and force in terms of work.

3. How do velocity and force affect the amount of work done?

As mentioned before, the greater the force and the greater the distance traveled, the more work is done. However, the speed at which an object is moving (velocity) also plays a role in the amount of work done. If a force is applied to an object and the velocity remains constant, the work done will be equal to the force multiplied by the distance. But if the velocity changes, the work done will be equal to the force multiplied by the change in velocity over time.

4. Can you have work without force?

No, work cannot be done without a force being applied. In order for an object to move, a force must be applied to overcome its inertia. Even when an object is moving at a constant velocity, there is still a force acting on it to maintain that velocity.

5. How is work with velocity and force used in everyday life?

Work with velocity and force is used in many everyday activities. For example, when pushing a shopping cart, the force applied by your hands causes the cart to move and work is being done. When riding a bicycle, the force you apply to the pedals causes the bike to move and work is being done. Work with velocity and force is also used in machines, such as cars, elevators, and cranes, to make tasks easier.