Is RMS Voltage or Peak Voltage Used for Working Resistance?

• Thread starter Nuclearhermit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the conversation is about solving a homework problem involving a heating element and determining the working resistance of the nichrome wire. The question is confused due to the use of RMS and the equations used involve finding the RMS voltage. The expert advises using the RMS voltage when solving the problem.
Nuclearhermit
[SOLVED] Working Resistance, Vo or VRMS

Homework Statement

Hey everyone, I'm new here and just wondering if you can give me a helping hand. In my Physics homework, the following question is stated:

"A heating element for an electric fire consists of a single strand if nichrome wire wound around an insulator. The heater is required to produce 1.2kW when connected to the 230V-RMS ac mains.

(i) Calculate the working resistance of the nichrome wire.

Okay, so it's not that i don't understand how to do the question, it's just that i don't know what it's asking for. Normally it would be okay, but because the 'RMS' was thrown in, it's put me off a bit.

Homework Equations

Equations used:

V0 = V-RMS × √2 ------Part 1
P=IV, therefore I=P/V ------Part 2
V=IR, therefore R=V/I ------Part 3

The Attempt at a Solution

Part 1 ---- V0 = 230v × √2 = 325.269v...
Part 2 ---- I = 1200w/325.269v... = 3.689A...
Part 3 ----325.269v.../3.689A..., therefore R = 88.2 ohms

Simply, what voltage do i use? Do i convert the V-RMS into V0, or leave it alone. I've tried both ways, the latter (not seen here), gives a resistance of 44.06 ohms.

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
RMS means "root mean square." Or the square root of the average of the squares of the the values. It is another method of finding an "average." When doing ac circuits, you use the RMS "average" values for current and voltage, etc, when plugging into the standard Ohm's Law and Power equations.

So, in short, use the RMS voltage.

Thanks very much for your response, now you say it, it has become much more clear as to why i would use that value. Again, thank you Chi Meson.

FAQ: Is RMS Voltage or Peak Voltage Used for Working Resistance?

1. What is working resistance and how is it different from resistance?

Working resistance, also known as load resistance, is the resistance that a circuit or device presents to the flow of current when it is connected to a power source. It is different from resistance in that resistance is a constant property of a material, while working resistance can vary depending on the conditions of the circuit or device.

2. What is the relationship between working resistance and voltage?

The relationship between working resistance and voltage is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as the working resistance increases, the voltage across the circuit will also increase, and vice versa.

3. How is working resistance calculated?

Working resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current (R = V/I). Additionally, working resistance can also be determined by measuring the voltage and current in a circuit and using the formula R = ΔV/ΔI, where ΔV is the change in voltage and ΔI is the change in current.

4. What is the difference between Vo and VRMS?

Vo, or voltage output, is the instantaneous voltage measured across a circuit or device. VRMS, or root mean square voltage, is the effective or average voltage of an alternating current. In simple terms, Vo is the maximum voltage reached in a circuit, while VRMS is the average voltage over time.

5. How does working resistance affect the performance of a circuit or device?

Working resistance can greatly impact the performance of a circuit or device. A high working resistance can cause excessive heat, voltage drops, and reduced efficiency in the circuit. On the other hand, a low working resistance can result in excessive current flow, which can damage components and decrease the lifespan of the circuit or device.