World Record Longest Home Run: Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle

• Thread starter Motorboar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, the ball needed to have an initial velocity of 40.0 degrees above the horizontal to produce a 188m home run. The ball would be above a fence 3.00m in height if the fence was located at a distance of 116m from home plate.
Motorboar

Homework Statement

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the longest home run ever measured was hit by Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle in a minor-league game. The ball traveled 188m (618 ft.) before landing on the ground outside the ballpark.

Assuming that the ball's initial velocity was 40.0 degrees above the horizontal, and ignoring air resistance, what did the initial speed of the ball need to be to produce such a home run if the ball was hit at a point 0.900 m (3.00ft ) above ground level? Assume that the ground was perfectly flat.

How far would the ball be above a fence 3.00 m (10.0 ft) in height if the fence were 116 m (380ft ) from home plate?

Homework Equations

v0x=v0cos(40)
v0y=v0sin(40)
x-x0=v0xt
y-y0=v0yt+1/2at^2
ay=-o.81
y-y0=-0.9
ax=0
x-x0=188

The Attempt at a Solution

-0.9 =v0sin40t + 1/2(-9.81)t^2
t= 188/v0cos(40)
0 = (v0sin40)(188/v0cos(40))-(4.9)(188/v0cos(40))^2+0.9
graphed it on a calculator to avoid messy algebra and got the wrong answer of 32.97.
No Idea why this is wrong. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Motorboar said:

Homework Statement

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the longest home run ever measured was hit by Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle in a minor-league game. The ball traveled 188m (618 ft.) before landing on the ground outside the ballpark.

Assuming that the ball's initial velocity was 40.0 degrees above the horizontal, and ignoring air resistance, what did the initial speed of the ball need to be to produce such a home run if the ball was hit at a point 0.900 m (3.00ft ) above ground level? Assume that the ground was perfectly flat.

How far would the ball be above a fence 3.00 m (10.0 ft) in height if the fence were 116 m (380ft ) from home plate?

Homework Equations

v0x=v0cos(40)
v0y=v0sin(40)
x-x0=v0xt
y-y0=v0yt+1/2at^2
ay=-o.81
y-y0=-0.9
ax=0
x-x0=188

The Attempt at a Solution

-0.9 =v0sin40t + 1/2(-9.81)t^2
t= 188/v0cos(40)
0 = (v0sin40)(188/v0cos(40))-(4.9)(188/v0cos(40))^2+0.9
graphed it on a calculator to avoid messy algebra and got the wrong answer of 32.97.
No Idea why this is wrong. Any ideas?

I got 43.1 m/s... I just went with your numbers. I would try it again.

43.1 is the right answer. Did you graph it? I been working with the input for like 30 minutes, do you mind telling me how you plugged it in?

Motorboar said:
43.1 is the right answer. Did you graph it? I been working with the input for like 30 minutes, do you mind telling me how you plugged it in?

I just used your numbers. Maybe you squared the term for acceleration incorrectly?

-0.9 = sin40*(188/cos40) - 4.9*(188/Vo*cos40)^2

The Vo cancels out of the first term and the Vo in the second term gets squared so you eventually have to take the square root. It a bit of a pain as you said.

If I am not lazy and work it out by hand, I get it. Thanks for your help.

Related to World Record Longest Home Run: Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle

1. How far was Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle's longest home run?

Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle's longest home run was recorded at 734 feet.

2. When did Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle hit this record-breaking home run?

Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle hit this record-breaking home run on May 31, 1926.

3. What team did Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle play for when he hit this home run?

Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle played for the Minneapolis Millers, a minor league team, when he hit this home run.

4. How does Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle's longest home run compare to the longest MLB home run ever hit?

Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle's longest home run is not recognized as the longest MLB home run ever hit. The longest MLB home run is currently held by Joey Meyer at 582 feet.

5. What factors may have contributed to Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle's long home run?

Several factors may have contributed to Roy "Dizzy" Carlyle's long home run, including favorable wind conditions, the type of bat used, and the altitude of the stadium where the game was played.