Would it harm my later in life to take calculus 1 online?

In summary, I think it's a good idea to take calc 1 and 2 online, since it's a less strenuous way to learn the material.
andrewkg
So this summer I was planning to take calc 1 at a school, but they canceled it. Very aggravating. But I can take the course online somewhere, so will it hurt me later on to take it online? Also does anyone know of good accredited places that I could take calc 1? I was thinking BYU or I don't know some other place, but most are expensive which I would enjoy to avoid.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you want to get credit for the class, so first of all check with your school's policies regarding transfer credit and make sure they will count it. Rules about external/online class credit can vary from one school to another, so PF members won't be able to answer that for you.

IMHO, the biggest advantage of a regular lecture class isn't that someone lectures the material to you, it's just the fact that you have a professor and probably TA's that you can go to when you need to ask questions or make sure you're understanding something correctly. I had a mediocre professor for my first college calculus course, and ended up learning most of the material from the textbook anyway, so I wouldn't worry to much about it hurting you later on to take calc I online; just as long as you make sure to keep up with the material and work at understanding it, not just passing the online quizzes and whatnot.

In short, you should be fine as long as long as you study well. Just look for a course that (1) your school will give you credit for, and (2) ideally has a some kind of class discussion board, or at least gives you the email addresses of the prof/TA's, so that you can have your questions answered when the need arises (or you can just ask them on PF :tongue:).

Well credit for transfer isn't really all that necessary because I'm just dual enrolled at the university and high school so they will allow me allowing me to take latter math courses and allow it as my prereq to calc 2 if I say I already took the class. And I will probably take them again in college so no need to consider transfer of credits.

I took calc 1 online and I have no regrets. It was actually a fairly rigorous first course with high expectations. I feel that I actually learned more as well, because I had to learn the material thoroughly on my own.

Ok well I think I'm going to do it online, quick question though so do you guys think that 5 months is enough time to learn calc 1 and 2, I will have 5 months online for Independent study and as far as asking question I have a good family friend who is a math professor that offered to answer any math questions I have + PF. Also I have an extreme desire to learn and will put in as much time as is required.

andrewkg said:
Ok well I think I'm going to do it online, quick question though so do you guys think that 5 months is enough time to learn calc 1 and 2, I will have 5 months online for Independent study and as far as asking question I have a good family friend who is a math professor that offered to answer any math questions I have + PF. Also I have an extreme desire to learn and will put in as much time as is required.

I don't suggest it, unless you're willing to spend many hours a day on it. Being mostly an autodidact myself, I can attest that it can be very mentally draining at times. Perhaps if possible, a good idea would be to see if you can pick up Calc 1 in the first 3 months, and then register for Calc 2 (which has a milder learning curve than Calc 1). Of course, there are LOTS AND LOTS of excellent resources on the internet regarding Calc 1 and 2, so this may facilitate your process.

1. Can taking calculus 1 online affect my future career prospects?

Taking calculus 1 online can actually be beneficial for your career in the long run. Many employers value self-motivation and the ability to learn independently, both of which are skills that can be developed through online courses. As long as you fully understand the material and can apply it, taking calculus 1 online should not negatively impact your career prospects.

2. Will taking calculus 1 online be as rigorous as taking it in a traditional classroom setting?

Online calculus 1 courses are designed to be just as rigorous and challenging as in-person courses. The material covered and the level of difficulty should be the same, regardless of the format. However, it is important to make sure that the online course is accredited and taught by qualified instructors to ensure the quality of education.

3. Is it better to take calculus 1 in person for a stronger foundation?

Whether you take calculus 1 online or in person, the core concepts and principles will be the same. It ultimately depends on your learning style and preferences. Some people may find it easier to grasp the material in a traditional classroom setting, while others may prefer the flexibility and self-paced nature of online courses. As long as you put in the effort and actively engage with the material, the format should not significantly impact your understanding of the subject.

4. Will I receive the same level of support and resources in an online calculus 1 course?

Many online calculus 1 courses offer similar resources and support as traditional courses, such as virtual office hours, online tutoring, and access to course materials. However, it is important to research and choose a reputable online course that provides adequate support to ensure your success. It may also be helpful to reach out to the instructor or online course provider to inquire about the resources and support offered.

5. Will taking calculus 1 online make it harder for me to understand and succeed in higher level math courses?

As long as you fully understand and master the material in calculus 1, it should not make a significant difference in your ability to succeed in higher level math courses. The concepts and principles build upon each other, and as long as you have a strong foundation, you should be able to continue learning and applying them in future courses. However, it is important to put in the effort and actively engage with the material, whether you are taking the course online or in person.