Writing a general curve on a manifold given a metric

In summary: TM.Yes, you can think of the velocity vector field as the vector field that represents the velocity at each point of the curve.
wotanub
I have what I think is a basic question. Say I have a manifold and a metric. How do I write down the most general curve for some arbitrary parameter?

For example in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] with the Euclidean metric, I think I should write [itex]\gamma(\lambda) = x(\lambda)\hat{x} + y(\lambda)\hat{y}[/itex]

But what about the case of the [itex]S^{2}[/itex] parameterized by [itex](\theta,\phi)[/itex] given the metric [itex]\mathrm{diag}(1,\sin^{2}{\theta})[/itex]?

Is it [itex]\gamma(\lambda) = \theta(\lambda)\hat{\theta} + \phi(\lambda)\hat{\phi}[/itex]
or something like [itex]\gamma(\lambda) = \theta(\lambda)\hat{\theta} + \sin(\theta)\phi(\lambda)\hat{\phi}[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are mixing together a couple of different concepts.
A curve on a manifold ##M## is a function ##\gamma:U\to M## where ##U## is an interval in ##\mathbb{R}##. For ##\lambda\in\mathbb{R}##, ##\gamma(\lambda)## is not a vector, which is what is implied by the above.

What is a vector is the velocity ##\dot{\gamma}(\lambda)## of the curve which, given a coordinate system, may be written
$$\dot{\gamma}(\lambda)=\sum_{\alpha=1}^n \frac{d\gamma^\alpha}{d\lambda}\vec{e}_\alpha$$

where ##\vec{e}_\alpha## is the coordinate vector for coordinate line ##\alpha##. That coordinate vector will not necessarily be a unit vector. For instance, in polar coordinates, ##\vec{e}_\theta## has modulus ##r##, so we would write the velocity vector as

$$\dot{\gamma}(\lambda)=\frac{d\gamma^r}{d\lambda}\hat{e}_r
+ \frac{d\gamma^\alpha}{d\lambda}r\hat{e}_\theta$$

On ##S^2## we would write it as:

$$\dot{\gamma}(\lambda)=\frac{d\gamma^\theta}{d\lambda}\hat{e}_\theta
+ \frac{d\gamma^\phi}{d\lambda}(\sin\theta)\hat{e}_\phi$$

So what you wrote second is closer, except that it is for the velocity of the curve, not the curve itself.

If the coordinate system is orthogonal, the metric tensor will be diagonal in the corresponding basis and the equation for the velocity vector can be written as:

$$\dot{\gamma}(\lambda)=\sum_{\alpha=1}^n \frac{d\gamma^\alpha}{d\lambda}\hat{e}_\alpha\sqrt{g^{\alpha\alpha}}$$

Likes wotanub
Another thing I think is worth thinking about is whether the velocity vectors associated to the vector live in the tangent space of the manifold. This has to see with covariant differentiation.

Safe, cheers lads!

I think my confusion is all cleared up. I'm still in that period of trying to forget what I know about calculus and relearn it in terms of full power differential geometry.

andrewkirk said:
What is a vector is the velocity ##\dot{\gamma}(\lambda)## of the curve which, given a coordinate system, may be written
$$\dot{\gamma}(\lambda)=\sum_{\alpha=1}^n \frac{d\gamma^\alpha}{d\lambda}\vec{e}_\alpha$$

where ##\vec{e}_\alpha## is the coordinate vector for coordinate line ##\alpha##. That coordinate vector will not necessarily be a unit vector. For instance, in polar coordinates, ##\vec{e}_\theta## has modulus ##r##, so we would write the velocity vector as

$$\dot{\gamma}(\lambda)=\frac{d\gamma^r}{d\lambda}\hat{e}_r
+ \frac{d\gamma^\alpha}{d\lambda}r\hat{e}_\theta$$

On ##S^2## we would write it as:

$$\dot{\gamma}(\lambda)=\frac{d\gamma^\theta}{d\lambda}\hat{e}_\theta
+ \frac{d\gamma^\phi}{d\lambda}(\sin\theta)\hat{e}_\phi$$

Sorry, one more clarification actually. If [itex]\gamma(\lambda)[/itex] is not a vector, then what are the [itex]\gamma^{\alpha}[/itex]? Are these just the coordinates? In that case wouldn't we say [itex]\gamma^\alpha = (x,y,z)^\alpha[/itex] (in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] for example) This makes it look like [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a vector.

wotanub said:
If [itex]\gamma(\lambda)[/itex] is not a vector, then what are the [itex]\gamma^{\alpha}[/itex]? Are these just the coordinates? In that case wouldn't we say [itex]\gamma^\alpha = (x,y,z)^\alpha[/itex] (in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] for example) This makes it look like [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a vector.
Yes they are just the coordinates. They are coordinates of a location on a manifold. Only a very few special manifolds, notably the Euclidean spaces, are also vector spaces. So the fact that a point on a manifold has a n-tuple of coordinates does not make that point a vector.

Of course one can always say that the n-tuple is a vector in ##\mathbb{R}^n##, but that doesn't lead anywhere because the manifold and vector space ##\mathbb{R}^n## has nothing to do with the manifold under discussion.

WWGD said:
Another thing I think is worth thinking about is whether the velocity vectors associated to the vector live in the tangent space of the manifold. This has to see with covariant differentiation.

The velocity vector of a curve is a curve in the tangent bundle. Its velocity is therefore in the tangent bundle of the tangent bundle.

lavinia said:
The velocity vector of a curve is a curve in the tangent bundle. Its velocity is therefore in the tangent bundle of the tangent bundle.
But can't you also see it as a vector field? Not just by duality (using a choice of Riemannian metric), but assigning to each point its velocity vector? Then it is not necessary to use the tangent bundle of the tangent bundle, but just the tangent bundle of first order. But then again, I think there is a natural identification between T(TM) and TM, isn't there? EDIT: I think this setup between the vector field and the curve may, by itself give the natural/canonical identification between T(TM) and TM.

Last edited:

1. What is a manifold in the context of writing a general curve?

A manifold is a mathematical concept that refers to a space where each point has a neighborhood that is topologically similar to Euclidean space. In simpler terms, it is a space that can be described using coordinates and behaves like a flat surface.

2. How is a metric used in writing a general curve on a manifold?

A metric is a mathematical tool that is used to measure distances and angles between points on a manifold. It is necessary for writing a general curve as it allows us to define the curvature of the manifold at each point.

3. What is the significance of writing a general curve on a manifold?

Writing a general curve on a manifold is essential in differential geometry and general relativity. It allows us to describe the behavior of a space with curvature, which is necessary for understanding phenomena such as gravity.

4. What are the challenges of writing a general curve on a manifold?

One of the main challenges is that manifolds can have complex and varying geometries, making it difficult to write a general curve that applies to all points on the manifold. Another challenge is that the metric used to define the curve may not be well-behaved at every point, leading to mathematical difficulties.

5. Are there any real-world applications of writing a general curve on a manifold?

Yes, there are many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, general relativity uses general curves on a manifold to describe the behavior of space-time. Manifolds are also used in computer graphics and computer vision for image and object recognition.