Writing Sin Equation Homework: Finding Amplitude, Upward Shift & Phase Shift

In summary, the conversation is about finding the missing information for a given equation Y=A*Sin[B(x-c)] +D. The amplitude can be found by multiplying 1/2 by the range, while the upward shift is determined by seeing if the center has moved up. The period is given as 4pi/3, so B is equal to 3/2. The person is confused about finding the phase shift and asks if they can use the values of A, B, and D to solve for C algebraically. They also mention that the graph shows two possible values for C, either π/3 or -π/3.
Miike012

Homework Statement

I have to fill in the missing info...
Y=A*Sin[B(x-c)] +D

A = 3. For finding the amplitude all I have to do it multiply 1/2 by the range?
D = 3. For finding upward shift all I have to do is see if the center has moved up?
period = 4pi/3 so B = 3/2

I am confused on how to find the phase shift... can I implement a,b, and d into my equation and solve for C somehow?

By just looking at the picture is looks like c could eaither be + or - pi/3 ?
But I would like to solve for this algebraically.

Attachments

• MATH.jpg
    MATH.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
A = 3. For finding the amplitude all I have to do it multiply 1/2 by the range?
I think of it as half the height of the wave.

D = 3. For finding upward shift all I have to do is see if the center has moved up?
period = 4pi/3 so B = 3/2
Ok and ok

I am confused on how to find the phase shift... can I implement a,b, and d into my equation and solve for C somehow?
By just looking at the picture is looks like c could eaither be + or - pi/3 ?
But I would like to solve for this algebraically.
Why? I would just look at the graph. The phase shift is the horizontal translation. A positive value of C would mean a horizontal shift to the right, while a negative value of C would mean a horizontal shift to the left. So which value of C is it? π/3 or -π/3?

1. What is a sin equation?

A sin equation is a mathematical expression that represents a sinusoidal wave. It is written in the form of y = A sin (Bx + C), where A is the amplitude, B is the frequency, and C is the phase shift.

2. How do I find the amplitude of a sin equation?

The amplitude of a sin equation is the distance from the center line to the maximum or minimum point on the curve. It can be found by taking the absolute value of A in the equation y = A sin (Bx + C).

3. What is an upward shift in a sin equation?

An upward shift in a sin equation refers to a change in the vertical position of the graph. It is represented by the value of C in the equation y = A sin (Bx + C), where a positive value will shift the graph up and a negative value will shift it down.

4. How do I find the phase shift of a sin equation?

The phase shift of a sin equation is the horizontal displacement of the graph. It can be found by solving for x in the equation Bx + C = 0. The resulting value will tell you how much the graph is shifted to the left or right.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve sin equations?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a function for sin equations. Make sure your calculator is set to radians or degrees depending on the units given in the equation. You can also use online graphing calculators or software to plot the graph and find the values for amplitude, upward shift, and phase shift.