Writing the charge density in the form of the Dirac delta function

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct way to write the charge distribution of a rectangle in the ##xy##-plane, as well as the general formula for charge density on a surface. It is shown that the charge density for a rectangle can be reduced to a surface charge placed in the ##xy##-plane, with the confinement occurring by constraining ##-a/2<x<a/2## and ##-a/2<y<a/2##. The conversation also includes a proof for the general formula for charge density on a surface.
approx12
Homework Statement
Given a square with side length ##a## and a surface charge of ##\sigma## for ##y>0## and ##\epsilon \sigma## for ##y<0##, write down the charge density ##\rho(\vec{x})## in terms of the dirac delta function.
Relevant Equations
##\rho(\vec{x})=\sigma \cdot...##
Hey guys! Sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm having some trouble to express this charge distribution as dirac delta functions.
IMG_9279.jpeg

I know that the charge distribution of a circular disc in the ##x-y##-plane with radius ##a## and charge ##q## is given by $$\rho(r,\theta)=qC_a \delta(\theta-\pi/2)\delta(r-a)$$ (with ##C_a## being a fitting constant). Based on this I've tried to write down the charge distribution of the rectangle as follows: $$\rho(\vec{x})=C\sigma(\delta(x-a/2)+\delta(y-a/2)+\epsilon \delta(x-a/2)+\epsilon \delta(y+a/2))$$ (With ##C## and ##C_{\epsilon}## being fitting constants)

I do not know though if this is a correct way to write it down or if I have to approach it in some other way. It would be awesome if anyone could give me some strategy on how to think about problems like this. Thank you!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
First write down the definition of your ##xy##-plane in the form ##\Phi(\vec{x})=0##. Then think again about how the generalized charge density must look!

vanhees71 said:
First write down the definition of your ##xy##-plane in the form ##\Phi(\vec{x})=0##. Then think again about how the generalized charge density must look!
Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply! I think I'm not quite sure what you mean with ##\Phi(\vec{x})=0##, do you mean the electric potential or some plane equation (that would be ##z=0## for the ##xy##-plane I guess). I also thought about writing the charge density in combination with the heaviside function. For example: $$\rho=C\sigma\delta(z)\theta(a/2-|x|)\theta(a/2-y)+...$$ Would a approach like this make sense in this problem?

I had the general formula
$$\rho(\vec{x})=\sigma(\vec{x}) |\vec{\nabla} \Phi(\vec{x})| \delta[\Phi(\vec{x})]$$
in mind. In your case ##\Phi(\vec{x})=z##, ##|\vec{\nabla} \Phi|=|\vec{e}_z|=1##.

vanhees71 said:
I had the general formula
$$\rho(\vec{x})=\sigma(\vec{x}) |\vec{\nabla} \Phi(\vec{x})| \delta[\Phi(\vec{x})]$$
in mind. In your case ##\Phi(\vec{x})=z##, ##|\vec{\nabla} \Phi|=|\vec{e}_z|=1##.
Oh, thank you, I was not familiar with this general formula. Are there maybe any references to it in some books or online so I can look it up?

But to the problem: So, it looks like the charge density reduces in my case to: $$\rho=\sigma\delta(z)$$ Which, I think, refers to a surface charge placed in the ##xy## plane. So does the confinement of the surface charge to the rectangle only happen by constraining ##-a/2<x<a/2## and ##-a/2<y<a/2##? Thanks again for your patience!

I don't know, from where I got this formula, but it's not too difficult to prove. Given is the scalar field ##\Phi(\vec{x})##, defined in a neighborhood of the surface, which is defined implicitly by ##\Phi(\vec{x})=0##. Now we define iso-##\Phi## surfaces by parameters ##(q_1,q_2,q_3)## in such a way that ##\Phi[\vec{x}(q_1,q_2,q_3)]=q_3##. Thus these surfaces are parametrized by ##q_1## and ##q_2## and the surface is determined by the value of ##q_3## (in an intervall containing ##q_3=0##).

Now it's clear that ##\partial_{q_1} \vec{x}## and ##\partial_{q_2} \vec{x}## span the tangent surfaces on the ##\Phi=\text{const}## surfaces and ##\vec{\nabla} \Phi## is always perpendicular to these tangent surfaces and ##\partial_{q_3} \vec{x} \cdot \vec{\nabla} \Phi=1##. Let ##\vec{n}## denote the unit normal vectors at the surface such that ##\vec{n} \cdot \vec{\nabla} \Phi=|\vec{\nabla} \Phi|##.

Now we calculate the charge within some volume element containing part of the surface ##\Phi=q_3=0## in its interior using ##\rho(\vec{x})=\sigma|\vec{\nabla} \Phi| \delta(\Phi)## as charge density, defined by the parameters ##(q_1,q_2,q_3) \in D \subseteq \mathbb{R}^3##:
$$Q_V = \int_D \mathrm{d}^3 q (\partial_{q_3} \vec{x}) \cdot (\partial_{q_1} \vec{x} \times \partial_{q_2} \vec{x}) |\vec{\nabla} \Phi| \delta(q_3) \sigma$$
$$= \int_D \mathrm{d}^3 q |\partial_{q_1} \vec{x} \times \partial_{q_2} \vec{x}| (\partial_{q_3} \vec{x}) \cdot \vec{n} |\vec{\nabla} \Phi| \delta(q_3) \sigma$$
$$= \int_D \mathrm{d}^3 q |\partial_{q_1} \vec{x} \times \partial_{q_2} \vec{x}| (\partial_{q_3} \vec{x}) \cdot \vec{\nabla} \Phi \delta(q_3) \sigma $$
$$= \int_D \mathrm{d} q_3 \mathrm{d}^2 f \sigma \delta(q_3)=\int_F \mathrm{d}^2 f \sigma,$$
where ##F## is the surface defined by ##q_3=\Phi(\vec{x})=0##. This shows that the above defined ##\rho## is equivalent to a surface-charge density ##\sigma##.

Obviously the surface density ##\sigma(\vec{x})## needs only be defined along the surface and is given by your problem in #1.

Likes approx12

1. What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function, also known as the impulse function, is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite. It is commonly used to represent a point charge or a point mass in physics and engineering problems.

2. How is the charge density written in the form of the Dirac delta function?

The charge density, denoted by ρ, can be written in the form of the Dirac delta function as ρ = qδ(x-x0), where q is the magnitude of the point charge and x0 is the location of the point charge. This representation allows for the simplification of mathematical calculations and makes it easier to solve certain problems.

3. What are the advantages of writing the charge density in the form of the Dirac delta function?

One of the main advantages of using the Dirac delta function to represent the charge density is that it simplifies the mathematical calculations and makes them more manageable. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the distribution of charge in a system, as the delta function represents a point charge at a specific location.

4. Can the charge density be written in the form of the Dirac delta function for continuous charge distributions?

Yes, the charge density can be written in the form of the Dirac delta function for continuous charge distributions by using the Dirac delta function in three dimensions, δ(x-x0,y-y0,z-z0). This allows for the representation of a point charge at any location in three-dimensional space.

5. How is the Dirac delta function related to the electric potential and electric field?

The electric potential, denoted by V, can be calculated using the charge density and the Dirac delta function as V = k∫ρδ(x-x0)dx, where k is the Coulomb constant. The electric field, denoted by E, can then be obtained by taking the gradient of the electric potential, E = -∇V. This relationship allows for the determination of the electric potential and electric field due to a point charge at a specific location.