X-ray production - maximum pressure

In summary: The color changes as pressure decreases because the gas molecules are no longer able to keep the electrons in the excited state long enough for them to emit light.
Plat
What is the maximum practical or theoretical pressure at which x-rays can be produced, as in a Crookes tube or cathode ray tube? I know Crookes tubes operate at 0.1pa and lower, but I need to know if I am at risk of producing x-rays with high voltage (60kv+) discharges at medium vacuum, as low as 5pa.

Does the electron mean free path have anything to do with this? Maybe when the e-mean free path equals or exceeds the gap between cathode and anode, x-rays can be produced by electrons traveling across without being slowed by gas molecules? How do I calculate the electron mean free path in air at 5pa and 298k?

In the vacuum chamber at maximum vacuum, I can still see a slight movement of tissue paper placed in front of a computer fan, which makes me think there must still be too much air to allow x-rays to be produced, but I want to make sure before it's too late!

Physics news on Phys.org
The free path for atoms at room temperature is roughly ##\lambda \approx 1cm\frac{1 Pa}{p}## with pressure p, I wouldn't expect the value for electrons to be completely different. It is an expectation value, so some electrons will have longer acceleration distances. A longer distance between the electrodes can help.

Thanks for the reply. So basically, if the gap from cathode to anode is much larger than the mfp then there should be little potential to produce x-ray photons? That makes sense because the mfp of air at 5pa(my setup) is 7mm, and at 0.1pa as in a Crookes tube, it approaches 1 meter, that would make a big difference.

Well, "much larger" - if the total gap is 70 centimeters, you still have 600 V per calculated mean free path, so some electrons will gain keVs of energy. To make it worse, I would expect electrons (especially accelerated ones) to have a longer mean free path than atoms. A factor of 4 (suggested by geometry - electrons are smaller than atoms) would be sufficient to get many electrons up to 10 keV. You are certainly still in a pressure range where a more detailed analysis (or sufficient shielding) is necessary.

I assume it would be safe if I maintain a much higher pressure, like keeping a container of water under the vacuum so that the pressure cannot drop below 600pa? I will use lead shielding if/when I remove the water to allow much lower pressures.Hopefully this is not too off-topic, but why does the color of the plasma change as the pressure drops? (Because I am using A/C, there are no striations, dark spaces, etc in the discharge.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kzks9caltx0rfs1/plasme discharge mason jar high pressure - pink.png?dl=0

It looks like this, pink mostly from nitrogen's emission lines, but then as the vacuum gets very pure, it turns ghostly white like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3kz9etdgwq62tl/plasme discharge mason jar low pressure - white.png.png?dl=0

I know this is from lower pressure, but if the same gas is present, shouldn't the emission spectrum and color be the same? Why does it change color?

(Sorry I could not get the images to show up in the post directly)

Last edited:

Related to X-ray production - maximum pressure

What is X-ray production?

X-ray production is the process by which X-rays are generated. X-rays are a form of electromagnetic radiation with a shorter wavelength than visible light. They are commonly used in medical imaging and scientific research.

How are X-rays produced?

X-rays are produced when high-energy electrons collide with a metal target. The collision causes the electrons to decelerate rapidly, releasing energy in the form of X-rays.

What is maximum pressure in X-ray production?

Maximum pressure in X-ray production refers to the highest amount of pressure that can be applied to the electrons before they collide with the target. This pressure is typically measured in kilopascals (kPa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

Why is maximum pressure important in X-ray production?

The maximum pressure in X-ray production is important because it directly affects the energy and intensity of the X-rays produced. Higher pressures can result in higher energy and intensity of the X-rays, while lower pressures may result in weaker X-rays.

What factors influence maximum pressure in X-ray production?

The maximum pressure in X-ray production is influenced by several factors, including the voltage and current applied to the electron source, the type of metal target used, and the distance between the target and the electron source. Higher voltage and current, as well as a shorter distance between the target and the electron source, can lead to higher maximum pressure in X-ray production.