1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Y'' - 9y = 4t - δ_2(t); y() = -2, y'(0) = -1

1. Mar 17, 2012 #1

s3a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the differential equation y'' - 9y = 4t - δ_2(t); y() = -2, y'(0) = -1 for y(t) when 0 <= t < 2 as well as when t > 2.

2. Relevant equations
    Dirac delta function. Heaviside function. Laplace and Inverse Laplace Transforms.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'll type the relevant information here since my handwriting for my work is ugly (but I am uploading it anyways just in case you need it). I get to Y(s) = 4/[s^2 * (s^2 - 9)] - e^(-2s)/(s^2 - 9) - (2s+1)/(s^2 - 9) and I'm stuck at getting the inverse Laplace Transform of the bolded/italicized term. Could someone please show me how to do that part? I know it involves the unit step/Heaviside function but I don't know what to do specifically.

From Wolfram Alpha,
    The inverse Laplace Transform of that bolded/italicized term is:
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=inverse+laplace+transform+of+{-exp(-2s)/(s^2+-+9)}
    The inverse Laplace Transform of the whole (s) = 4/[s^2 * (s^2 - 9)] - e^(-2s)/(s^2 - 9) - (2s+1)/(s^2 - 9) equality is:
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=inverse+laplace+transform+of+{4/[s^2+*+(s^2+-+9)]+-+exp(-2s)/(s^2+-+9)+-+(2s%2B1)/(s^2+-+9)}

(Just to note, the Wolfram Alpha answers would be wrong if my work leading up to the equation I retyped in this forum post from my work is incorrect.)

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Have you tried splitting up 1/(s2 - 9) into two terms using partial fraction decomposition?

4. Mar 18, 2012 #3

s3a

I haven't because I didn't foresee any upcoming successful step.

Here is my work for what you mentioned.

Attached Files:

5. Mar 18, 2012 #4

Mark44

That work looks OK.

What you need to deal with the expressions you're asking about is this formula:

[tex]L^{-1}(e^{-as}~G(s)) = u_a g(t - a)[/tex]

Here G(s) = [itex]L {g(t)}[/itex]

Edit: For some reason, the LaTeX isn't rendering correctly. Also, I neglected to indicate that I was talking about the inverse Laplace transform in the first equation above.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  6. Mar 19, 2012 #5

s3a

Did you mean:

L{u_c(t) f(t-c)} = e^(-cs) L{f(t)} ?

7. Mar 19, 2012 #6

Mark44

The first formula should have been for the inverse Laplace transform. It's now fixed.

8. Mar 24, 2012 #7

s3a

Wrong thread sorry.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook