Yeesh! I smell funny

• Thread starter WiFO215
  • Start date
It's maybe a more urban thing. Urban males tend to have more male beauty products than those from outside and phobic of sweat or body odor.

But there is a big difference between having body odor and smelling funny because you use tons of lotions.
Use scent-free deodorant and some real light perfume for a special occasion. After shave is useless in my opinion.
And by perfume I don't mean the strongest concentration that is marketed simply as perfume(that will make you smell like a transvestite prostitute) but some of the eau's, like eau de toilette or eau de cologne.

turbo
Gold Member
Keep in mind that "scent-free" probably means that the cosmetics contain masking fragrances. Buy fragrance-free, and you'll be fine.

But there is a big difference between having body odor and smelling funny because you use tons of lotions.
Use scent-free deodorant and some real light perfume for a special occasion. After shave is useless in my opinion.
And by perfume I don't mean the strongest concentration that is marketed simply as perfume(that will make you smell like a transvestite prostitute) but some of the eau's, like eau de toilette or eau de cologne.

A simple shower with soap for body and shampoo for hairs is good for regular days at least. Some lotion is also must for winters because skin gets dry too easily.

Keep in mind that "scent-free" probably means that the cosmetics contain masking fragrances. Buy fragrance-free, and you'll be fine.

I see, I'm not a native english speaker, so I'm just translating things in my mind, I don't really know what you would find in the US market(how they brand it)

A simple shower with soap for body and shampoo for hairs is good for regular days at least.

Oh but I need to use a deodorant, where I live it's very hot so we sweat a lot...but that's it, soap, shampoo and deodorant. I can't understand men that use things like moisturizers, conditioners, lotions...
Damn, when I shave I just use hot water

I live in a log house in the woods. Your shelter of brush and twigs should be OK for a while, unless you feel the need to "occupy" someplace. I should mention that Russia (under Putin) is not rounding up and jailing all that many protesters.
I don't get this. Are you saying I should move to Russia? Why?

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Do you have an STD?

According to this article, maybe that's why you smell funny.

Do you have an STD?

According to this article, maybe that's why you smell funny.
You gotta wonder about where they found gonorrhea infected men willing to take part in the study though. Skid row alcoholics paid off with a glass of vodka are bound to fail smell contests.

Brrr it's cold in here (I wouldn't equate funny and putrid)

One more totally fascinating fact - a urinary tract infection from coliform bacteria produces a really really vile odor (nothing like the strange food caused odors like asparagus - totally disgusting according to a friend who had one that was antibiotic resistant. she said it was so bad she would almost throw up when she peed)

DO NOT SKIP DEODORANT! PLEEEZE
Bathing with soap and things like that actually destroys the good bacteria on your skin that kills the bad bacteria so you are much more likely to get infections, fungus and so on if you bathe with soap. Yes you use soap when you get dirty but water will get rid of most "dirt" just fine.
Can you provide any sources for that claim?
Deodorant works by simply blocking the very disgusting strong smelling fear and stress liquids from getting airborne so it doesn't have to be fragrant and you can buy unscented deodorant.

What the hell are "fear and stress liquids "?

Google it. There are a lot of studies on it. I broke out in all these red welts and my dermatologist told me I was showering too much - to quit using soap except when dirty. I switched to those oatmeal bars and sure enough the red welts went away.

fear and stress liquids are those pheromones that tell your tribe members to get the heck out of there or they'll get eaten. And if you don't use deodorant your first date will get out of there too. Dr. Oz had a great show on about deodorant and how it worked. We also have a biologist in the family and you know how weird they are. Always sharing disgusting information.