Yet another interesting integral

In summary, the integral was on a test I took recently and I can't find an antiderivative for it. I can express the result as a series, and the 1/(1 + cos^2(x)) part can be expressed as a geometric series on the half-open interval (0, 1]. I integrate term by term using integration by parts, or show that the integral on [0, epsilon] is bounded by some power of epsilon. Tentatively, it looks like I'm getting \sum_{j=0}^\infty (-1)^j \ \{ \frac{\cos^{2j+1}(1)}{2j + 1} \ +
msmith12
this integral was on a test I took recently--any thoughts or ideas on how to attack it?

[tex]
\int_{0}^{1} \frac{x\sin{x}}{1+\cos^2{x}}dx
[/tex]

~matt

Physics news on Phys.org
Dern, that is a nasty 'un. I can't find an antiderivative for it, so I'm hoping you don't need to. Is it acceptable to express the result as a series? If so, the 1/(1 + cos^2(x)) part can be expressed as a geometric series on the half-open interval (0, 1]. Then you can integrate term by term using integration by parts. You can also show that the integral on [0, epsilon] is bounded by some power of epsilon, so it is arbitrarily small.

Tentatively, it looks like I'm getting [tex]\sum_{j=0}^\infty (-1)^j \ \{ \frac{\cos^{2j+1}(1)}{2j + 1} \ + \ \frac{1}{2j + 1} \sum_{k=0}^j (-1)^k \ \left(\begin{array}{cc}j \\ k \end{array}\right) \ \frac{\sin^{2k+1}(1)}{2k+1} \}[/tex] :eek:

Is there a direct way to do it? Seems like there should be.

Last edited:
Here's the solution.

Daniel.

Attachments

• Integrals.zip
    48.4 KB · Views: 266
The only CAS I have to work on it is Mupad and that does nothing with it.

I'd be tempted to change it to:

[tex]\int_{1}^{0} x \frac{-sin x dx}{1 + cos^2 x} [/tex]

[tex]\int_{1}^{0} x \frac{-sin x dx}{1 + cos^2 x} = x tan^{-1}(cos x) - \int tan^{-1} (cos x)[/tex]

[tex]\int_{1}^{0} x \frac{-sin x dx}{1 + cos^2 x} = x tan^{-1}(cos x) - x tan^{-1} (cos x) + \frac{1}{2} ln (1 + cos^2 x) \vert_{1}^{0}[/tex]

[tex]\int_{1}^{0} x \frac{-sin x dx}{1 + cos^2 x} =\frac{1}{2} ln (1 + cos^2 x) \vert_{1}^{0}[/tex]

Give me 1-2 days, i'll try finding an antiderivative for it :P, and if not, i'll try transforming to Real sum :P heheheh

BobG, You're integration isn't correct, You did 2 opposite partitions in 1 integral, the integration of [tex]arctan(cos(x))[/tex] isn't correct, and it's not possible to be integrated

Oooops,yes,Bob,you did it.It should have been 1/2 ln of the denominator from the very first part integration.

And yes,the last integral is not that pretty.

Daniel.

i found the solution of it...

the hint that I got was--

[tex]
\int_{0}^{1} xf(\sin{x})dx = \frac{\pi}{2} \int_{0}^{1} f(\sin{x})dx
[/tex]

from there, it isn't to bad...

I think it is.And how did u get that [tex] \frac{\pi}{2} [/tex]...?

Daniel.

TheDestroyer said:
BobG, You're integration isn't correct, You did 2 opposite partitions in 1 integral, the integration of [tex]arctan(cos(x))[/tex] isn't correct, and it's not possible to be integrated

You're right. I should have written it on paper. First sub shows the error. (It works if the x before sine x were cosine x, instead).

dextercioby said:
What's Mupad...?

Free, which is why I've been wondering how good it works. (At least, it has a free download version - Mupad light or some such)

Would you care for a direct link to the download page (i've seen you're good with giving links :wink:) ...?(*please*)

Daniel.

first of all, i just realized that i have the bounds wrong...
they should be from 0 -> pi... sorry about that, but

to get the [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] part

take the equality... and subtract one from the other...

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi} xf(\sin{x})dx = \frac{\pi}{2} \int_{0}^{\pi} f(\sin{x})dx
[/tex]
[tex]
\int_{0}^{\pi} xf(\sin{x}) - \frac{\pi}{2}f(\sin{x})dx = 0
[/tex]
[tex]
\int_{0}^{\pi} (x-\frac{\pi}{2})(f(\sin{x})) dx = 0
[/tex]
calling the integrand Z, we have

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} Z dx + \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\pi} Zdx = 0
[/tex]

but, due to the symmetry of both parts of Z about pi/2, we can rewrite this as...

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} Z dx - \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2} Z dx = 0
[/tex]

which, is trivial...

and so for the original integral, you can rewrite as...

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac {x\sin{x}}{2-\sin^{2}{x}}
[/tex]

which can be rewritten using the above identity as

[tex]
\frac{\pi}{2}\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac {\sin{x}}{2-\sin^{2}{x}}
[/tex]

from here, rewrite the denominator in terms of cosine, and use a simple u substitution-- so you arrive at
[tex]
\frac{\pi^{2}}{4}
[/tex]

whew...

MuPad

On the "downloads" page, MuPad Pro (which you have to pay for) is at the top. You have to scroll down to get to the free versions for which ever operating system you use.

msmith12 said:
this integral was on a test I took recently--any thoughts or ideas on how to attack it?
This was on a test? :eek: My first impression was that this has to be an easy problem if you just look at it the right way. I keep thinking you definitely want the arctangent, arcosine, or arcsine since your limits of integration are 0 to 1 (they would work out very nicely). But the problem just doesn't work nicely at all. Did the teacher make a typo?

My calculator gives a numerical answer (which matches the answer dextercioby posted).

Thank you,Bob.I have an ancient version of Maple (5,or something like that) which is implemented into SWP 2.5.Basically,there's no programming involved.So,if i'll need something better,i'll consider your suggestion.

Daniel.

Related to Yet another interesting integral

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a given interval. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve problems involving rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration.

2. What makes "Yet another interesting integral" different from other integrals?

"Yet another interesting integral" is a phrase that is often used to introduce a particularly challenging or intriguing integral problem. It can also refer to integrals that have unique and interesting solutions, or those that have real-life applications.

3. How do you solve "Yet another interesting integral"?

The method for solving "Yet another interesting integral" will depend on the specific problem and the techniques and formulas that are applicable to it. Generally, the first step is to identify the type of integral (e.g. definite or indefinite) and then use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions to solve it.

4. Can you provide an example of "Yet another interesting integral"?

One example of "Yet another interesting integral" is the integral of the logarithm function, ∫ ln(x) dx. This integral has a unique solution that involves the natural logarithm and is often used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving exponential growth and decay.

5. Why are integrals important in science?

Integrals play a crucial role in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They allow us to calculate quantities such as area, volume, and work, which are essential in understanding and predicting real-world phenomena. Integrals also help us to model and analyze continuous processes, making them a powerful tool for scientific research and problem-solving.