Solve Electron Deflection in Oscilloscope - 65 Characters

• Thread starter dvyu
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment with an oscilloscope where an electron beam is deflected by charged metal plates. The electric force on the electrons is uniform within a specific region and the mass of the electron is given. The problem is to determine the distance below the axis that an electron will be when it hits the fluorescent screen, given the velocity and distance between the plates and the screen. The solution involves using the formula for force and calculating the acceleration of the electron, which is then used to find the distance traveled in a given time interval.
dvyu

Homework Statement

Photo 6.jpg

In the oscilloscope shown in the picture, an electron beam is deflected by charged metal plates AD and BC. In the region ABCD, each electron experiances a uniform downward electric force of 3.20E-15 N. Each electron enters the electric field along the illustrated axis, halfway between A and B, with a velocity of 2.25E7 m/s parallel to tge plates. The electric force is zero outside ABCD. The mass of an electron is 9.11E-31 kg. The gravitational force can be neglected during the short interval an electron travels to the fluorescent screen, S. Determine how far an electon is below the axis of entry when it hits the screen.
I took a picture with the iCamera thing in my laptop and it comes out backwards, but I can't seem to save it flipped over. Basically it shows that the distance between AD and BC, the plates, is 3 cm and the distace from the plates to the screen is 13cm.

The variables I pulled from this were:
V = 2.25E7 m/s
d = 3cm = 0.03m
Fe = 3.20E-15 N
V - d/t, so t = 1.33E-9 s
m = 9.11E-11 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

Fnet = Fe
ma = Fe
(9.11E-31)a = (3.20E-15)
a = 3.51E15
a = distance/time^2
3.51E15*(1.33E-9)^2 = d
d = 6.245E-3 m
The distance below the axis is 6.245E-3 m
My textbook gives the answer as 3.02E-2 m - however I cannot see where I have gone wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you maybe type out the question? Your pic is backwards and blurry!

oh, sorry i hadnt realized

1. What is electron deflection in an oscilloscope?

Electron deflection in an oscilloscope is the process by which the electron beam is directed to create a visual representation of an electronic signal on the screen. The beam is deflected by electric and magnetic fields in the cathode ray tube (CRT) of the oscilloscope.

2. Why is electron deflection important in an oscilloscope?

Electron deflection is important in an oscilloscope because it allows for the visualization and analysis of electronic signals, which is crucial in many scientific and engineering applications. It also allows for precise measurements of signal parameters such as amplitude and frequency.

3. How does electron deflection work in an oscilloscope?

In an oscilloscope, the electron beam is emitted from the electron gun and then deflected by electric plates and magnetic coils, which are controlled by the vertical and horizontal deflection plates respectively. This deflection creates a sweeping motion that produces the visual representation of the electronic signal on the screen.

4. What affects the electron deflection in an oscilloscope?

The electron deflection in an oscilloscope can be affected by various factors such as the electric and magnetic fields in the CRT, the voltage applied to the deflection plates, and the distance between the deflection plates and the CRT. Other factors such as the type of electron gun and the quality of the CRT can also impact the deflection.

5. How can electron deflection in an oscilloscope be optimized?

To optimize electron deflection in an oscilloscope, it is important to ensure that the CRT and deflection plates are in good condition and properly calibrated. Additionally, adjusting the voltage and distance between the deflection plates can also help improve the accuracy and precision of the deflection. Using a high-quality electron gun can also enhance the performance of the oscilloscope.