Yet, another statics problem

• Thread starter ME_student
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, the problem involves finding the components of the reactions at point E and the force exerted at point C on member CDE. The equations for this problem are attached. The solution uses a force triangle to obtain reaction D, but the student is having trouble finding it without the force triangle. They have analyzed that D has both x and y components, and that B also has both x and y components, making the problem more complicated. The student has reached out to their instructor for clarification.
ME_student

Homework Statement

Find the components (a) of the reactions at E, (b) of the force exerted at C on member CDE.

Homework Equations

Equations are on attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I am having a hard time figuring out how to obtain Reaction D without using a force triangle because that is what the solution uses. I took sum of the forces in y direction at the pipe and get 10kips but what about the x direction? RD is going to have both x and y components.

Attachments

• 1.pdf
    128.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 2.pdf
    93.6 KB · Views: 163
Physics news on Phys.org
I've been working on the problem for awhile. I first analyzed that D has a reaction both in x and y, also assumed B has a reaction in the x and y direction making it more complicated... I emailed my instructor asked him what the problem was. He said B has a reaction Bx and D is a reaction perpendicular to the bar.

What is statics?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It helps us understand how forces act on objects and how they affect the equilibrium of these objects.

What are some common applications of statics?

Statics has many practical applications, including designing structures such as buildings and bridges, analyzing the stability of machines, and determining the forces acting on a structure during construction.

What is the difference between statics and dynamics?

Statics deals with objects at rest or in a state of constant motion, while dynamics deals with objects in motion and how forces affect their motion.

What are the basic principles of statics?

The basic principles of statics include the concept of equilibrium, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero for the object to be in a state of rest or constant motion. Other principles include the law of action and reaction, the law of inertia, and the parallelogram law of forces.

Why is statics important in engineering and science?

Statics provides the foundation for many engineering and scientific principles. It helps us analyze and understand the forces acting on objects, which is essential in designing structures and machines that are safe and efficient. Statics is also used in fields such as physics, geology, and biomechanics to study the behavior of objects under different conditions.