Mapping of a Circle in the z-plane to the w-plane

• Thread starter thomas49th
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mapping
In summary, the mapping w = 1/(z-1) transforms the circle (x-2)² + y² = 4 in the z-plane to a circle in the w-plane with center at (2,0) and radius 2. The imaginary part of the equation in the z-plane is (x-1)² + y² = 4, but it is not a correct method for finding the radius.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

Consider the mapping w = 1/(z-1) from the z-plane to the w plane. Show that in the z plane the circle
(x-2)² + y² = 4
maps to a circle in the w-plane. What is the radius of this circle and where is it's centre.

So in the z-plane this is a circle with radius 2 at the point (1,0) in the z plane.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmmm. Well I know that w = 1/(z-1) => u² + v² = 1 / ((x-1)² +y²)

I presume that will help at some point

In the z-plane (x-1)² + y² = 4 what part is the imaginary part? The z plane has 2 axes:
x and y... am I right in thinking x = Re and y = Im? I recall f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y) but does that mean u = (x-1)² + y² ? How does the 4 come into it. What about the imaginary part?

I think I may of bodged it by getting

(x-1)² + y² = (1/2)^2

by sticking 1 / ((x-1)² +y²) = 4, but I don't think that is the correct method.

Thanks
Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
thomas49th said:

Homework Statement

Consider the mapping w = 1/(z-1) from the z-plane to the w plane. Show that in the z plane the circle
(x-2)² + y² = 4
maps to a circle in the w-plane. What is the radius of this circle and where is it's centre.

So in the z-plane this is a circle with radius 2 at the point (1,0) in the z plane.
The center of the circle would be at (2, 0), not (1, 0).
thomas49th said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hmmm. Well I know that w = 1/(z-1) => u² + v² = 1 / ((x-1)² +y²)

I presume that will help at some point

In the z-plane (x-1)² + y² = 4 what part is the imaginary part? The z plane has 2 axes:
x and y... am I right in thinking x = Re and y = Im? I recall f(z) = u(x,y) + iv(x,y) but does that mean u = (x-1)² + y² ? How does the 4 come into it. What about the imaginary part?

I think I may of bodged it by getting

(x-1)² + y² = (1/2)^2

by sticking 1 / ((x-1)² +y²) = 4, but I don't think that is the correct method.

Thanks
Thomas

1. What is Z-plane to w-plane mapping?

Z-plane to w-plane mapping is a mathematical process used in complex analysis to transform points in the complex plane (Z-plane) to points in the w-plane. This transformation is also known as a conformal mapping, as it preserves angles and shapes of objects in the complex plane.

2. Why is Z-plane to w-plane mapping important?

Z-plane to w-plane mapping is important because it allows us to simplify complex functions and equations in the Z-plane by transforming them into simpler functions in the w-plane. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of these functions.

3. How is Z-plane to w-plane mapping performed?

Z-plane to w-plane mapping is typically performed using a specific mathematical formula called the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These equations relate the derivatives of a function in the Z-plane to the derivatives of the transformed function in the w-plane.

4. What are some common applications of Z-plane to w-plane mapping?

Z-plane to w-plane mapping has many applications in mathematics and physics. Some common examples include the study of fluid dynamics, electrostatics, and potential theory. It is also used in the design of electronic circuits and systems.

5. Are there any limitations to Z-plane to w-plane mapping?

While Z-plane to w-plane mapping is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to functions that are analytic, meaning they can be represented by a convergent power series. It also cannot be used to transform functions with singularities, such as poles or branch points.