Zener Diode Q-Point Calculation

• Thread starter lazyaditya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the conversation discusses the Q-point for a zener diode in a given circuit. The correct answer is 4 volts, but the book provides an incorrect answer of 4.9 volts. The solution in the book involves using the Thévenin equivalent of the circuit, but this is not necessary. The correct answer is option (a), with a zener voltage of 4 volts.
lazyaditya
The Q-point for the Zener diode in the figure given is ?

Attachments

• photo 3(2).JPG
    photo 3(2).JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 494
  • photo 1(3).JPG
    photo 1(3).JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 510
Physics news on Phys.org
But sir my answer does no matches any option,and solution to this problem was given by making thevenin equivalent of the circuit across zener diode !

Attachments

• photo 2(3).JPG
    photo 2(3).JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 468
lazyaditya said:
But sir my answer does no matches any option,and solution to this problem was given by making thevenin equivalent of the circuit across zener diode !

It doesn't match option A?

Answer given behind book is option (B)

lazyaditya said:
Answer given behind book is option (B)

Book answer is wrong. If Vz = 4.9V the zener would be burned to a crisp! (internal R = 0).

I have attached the solution given behind the book, please tell me if the solution is valid and can i use it in other problems similar to this ?

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 408
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 395
lazyaditya said:
I have attached the solution given behind the book, please tell me if the solution is valid and can i use it in other problems similar to this ?

These attachments are irrelevant to your zener problem.

I am sorry i posted the wrong the image.

Attachments

• photo(3).JPG
    photo(3).JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 412
Both methods of analysis are valid, providing you draw the logical conclusion. Determining the Thévenin equivalent is fine, but you don't have to.

Answer (a) is correct. The zener voltage here must be 4 volts if it is conducting.

Related to Zener Diode Q-Point Calculation

1. What is a Zener diode?

A Zener diode is a type of diode that is specifically designed to operate in the reverse breakdown region, allowing it to maintain a stable voltage across its terminals. It is commonly used as a voltage regulator in electronic circuits.

2. What is a Q-point?

The Q-point (also known as the operating point) of a circuit is the point at which the DC biasing conditions are set. It is the point on the load line where the transistor or diode operates, and is determined by the voltage and current flowing through the component.

3. Why is it important to calculate the Q-point for a Zener diode?

Calculating the Q-point for a Zener diode is important because it allows us to determine the operating conditions at which the diode will function properly. This includes the voltage and current levels that will result in the desired Zener breakdown and voltage regulation.

4. What factors are considered when calculating the Q-point for a Zener diode?

The factors that are considered when calculating the Q-point for a Zener diode include the diode's breakdown voltage, the load resistance, and the supply voltage. The Q-point is also affected by the temperature and manufacturing tolerances of the diode.

5. How is the Q-point calculated for a Zener diode?

The Q-point for a Zener diode can be calculated using Ohm's Law and the diode's characteristic curve. The desired load line is plotted on the curve, and the intersection of this line with the diode's curve gives the Q-point. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the formula Vz = Vcc - Iz * Rz, where Vz is the Zener voltage, Vcc is the supply voltage, Iz is the Zener current, and Rz is the load resistance.