Find Zero Field Location of Two Charges of q1=4μC and q2=-1μC

• Thread starter hacker804
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field Zero
In summary: You need to find the distance from q1.In summary, the two charges of q1=4μC and q2=-1μC, separated by a distance of 3 m, have two points where the electric field is zero. One is between the charges and the other is outside from the side of the smaller charge. The distance of the point from q1 can be found by solving for x in the equation E=0, where E is the electric field at any location between the two charges. The book's solution gives the distance of the point from q2.
hacker804

Homework Statement

Two charges of q1=4μC and q2=-1μC are separted by a distance of 3 m.Find and justify the zero field location.

Homework Equations

[itex]E=\frac{kQ}{r^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider a point x to the right of charge q1 where the field is zero.The distance of x from q1 is x and from q2 is 3+x.
I solved the problem and the answer comes out as -6m.The answer given by the book is 3m.Is my answer correct??

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You and the book should agree on how the charges are located and from which point the distance is measured.

hacker804 said:

Homework Statement

Two charges of q1=4μC and q2=-1μC are separted by a distance of 3 m.Find and justify the zero field location.

Homework Equations

[itex]E=\frac{kQ}{r^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider a point x to the right of charge q1 where the field is zero.The distance of x from q1 is x and from q2 is 3+x.
I solved the problem and the answer comes out as -6m.The answer given by the book is 3m.Is my answer correct??

Thanks

No, your answer is not correct. If the point in question is at distance x to the right from q1, a negative value means that it is on the left, and it is impossible. Perhaps, you will show your work in detail.

ehild

So it is 6m to the left from q1 which means it is not on the line between the two charges which is only 3m.

First of all there are two such positions, one between the charges and one outside from the side of the smallest. The two positions come from the dependence of E from x squared ( or only by physics as we like, as you go close to q2<q1 the field of q2 becomes stronger. In other cases the field of the bigger charge is bigger than that of q2. But you can go from both sides. So there are two such points). Just find the expression of E at any location in the line of the two charges and solve E = 0 for x. Your book finds the distance of the point from q2.

1. Where can I find the zero field location of two charges of q1=4μC and q2=-1μC?

The zero field location of two charges can be found by using the formula r = √(q1d1/q2d2), where r is the distance between the two charges, d1 is the distance from the first charge to the zero field location, and d2 is the distance from the second charge to the zero field location.

2. How do I calculate the distance between the two charges?

The distance between the two charges can be calculated using the distance formula, d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two charges.

3. Can the zero field location be a negative distance?

Yes, the zero field location can be a negative distance if one of the charges is negative and the other is positive. This indicates that the zero field location is located on the line connecting the two charges, but in the opposite direction of the negative charge.

4. What units should I use for the charges and distance?

The charges should be in units of Coulombs (C), and the distance should be in units of meters (m). It is important to use consistent units in order to get an accurate calculation for the zero field location.

5. Is there a visual representation of the zero field location?

Yes, the zero field location can be represented by a point on a graph where the two charges are located at opposite ends of the x-axis, and the zero field location is located on the y-axis. The distance between the two charges can also be represented by the length of the x-axis.