Is the Zero State Response Unaffected by Initial Conditions?

In summary, the zero state response is the response of a system when all initial conditions are zero. It is not affected by initial conditions, as these conditions only come into play when there is an excitation. However, in a system of order equal or greater than two, the initial slope of the response will also be zero. Therefore, the zero state response remains the same regardless of the initial conditions. This was observed while solving a state space problem and working with the discrete solution X(z), which is made up of two terms, one of which includes the initial conditions. To calculate the ZSR, the term with the initial conditions is excluded.
LM741
do you guys aggree with this:

The zero state response is never affected by initial conditions.

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on what you mean by affected. Zero state response is the response of the system when the initial conditions are zero. So the initial value of the response is 0 and in a system of order equal or greater than two, the initial slope of the response will also be 0. So in this sense the initial state influences the response.
But if there is no excitation, the system will remain in the zero state and the response will not be influenced.

what i mean by affected is: you will always get the same answer for sero state response regardless of what the initial condition are. i.e. there is no correlation.
I came to this conclusion whilst doing a state space problem that requires the zero state response. In the textbook, they first derive a solution for X(z)
, working in discrete. This X(z) is actually made up of two terms, where the one term includes the inital conditions. To solve for the ZSR they exclude the term with the initail condititions and work from there...

thanks

LM741 said:
what i mean by affected is: you will always get the same answer for sero state response regardless of what the initial condition are. i.e. there is no correlation.
thanks
Do you really understand what zero state response means? By definition, ZSR is the response of the system when all initial conditions are zero. How can you calculate ZSR with varying initial conditions?

yup i just realized that.
thanks

Related to Is the Zero State Response Unaffected by Initial Conditions?

What is Zero State Response?

Zero State Response refers to the natural response of a system when it is at equilibrium or its initial state. It is the output of a system when there are no external inputs or disturbances present.

How is Zero State Response calculated?

Zero State Response can be calculated using the transfer function of a system and the initial conditions. It involves solving a differential equation that represents the system's behavior without any external input.

What is the significance of Zero State Response in a system?

Zero State Response helps in understanding the behavior of a system in its initial state or at equilibrium. It also provides insights into how the system will respond to external inputs and disturbances.

What factors affect the Zero State Response of a system?

The initial conditions of a system, such as its initial position, velocity, and acceleration, can affect its Zero State Response. The type of system and its transfer function also play a crucial role in determining the Zero State Response.

How can Zero State Response be useful in practical applications?

Zero State Response is essential in applications such as control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis. It helps in predicting the behavior of a system and designing systems with desired response characteristics.