Ziegler-Nichols method and closed loop characteristic equations.

In summary, this problem appears to be asking for the characteristic equation of a PID controller for a system with gains Kp and Ki. The problem becomes tricky because the s term is on top (or a 1/s below) of the Kp*error(t) pole and must be substituted in for. Once this is done, the final values of Kp and Ki can be determined from the table. Using the final-value theorem, the Z-N values of Kp and Ki for the system can be determined. Lastly, using a ramp input to the y/u transfer function, steady-state output error can be determined.
CalebP
Hi Guys,

Attached is a problem from an old exam for a Process Control and Instrumentation unit.

I have tried everything I know (which isn't much, it's not the main assessable portion of the unit).

Other questions similar involve giving us either the characteristic closed loop equation or the controller function and deriving it from there.

We take the characteristic equation and sub in s = wj (j being sqrt(-1)) and can solve for both the I am and Re parts being zero, obtaining the critical value of K and the corresponding w, then using the table becomes quite elementary.

Working backwards to discover G(s) gets tricky due the s being on top (or a 1/s below)

This is the only example I can find where I'm given the overall output function Y(s), so working backwards to find the characteristic equation... I just don't know how, or if it's done differently.

Much of google gives tips of how to effectively use Z-N in real or simulated situations, but this is for an exam. Most of the unit is comprised of sensors, analog and digital conditioning and PLC diagrams, so these control loops/PID are kind of tacked on the end. The last time I touched Laplace was ~5 years ago.

I'm sure there's a really simple solution.

Please help. Thanks.

Attachments

• ziegler.png
    ziegler.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 4,606
Physics news on Phys.org
Given the system F(s) plus PI controller gains Kp and Ki, what is the modified transfer function y/u?

From that, determine under what conditions poles are confined to the left-hand plane (hint: use quadratic formula to find the poles as a function of F, Kp and Ki.)

Determine the Z-N values of Kp and Ki from your table.

Use the final-value theorem for the Z-N y/u with a ramp input to determine steady-state output error.

Gah, I really have no idea what I'm doing. I've never seen this stuff before and it's two weeks worth of notes in one unit.

What exactly have I been given in this question? Do I need any knowledge of Laplace to solve this? Is the input u(s) the controller function (involving tauI and tauD, in integral form or Laplace form), or is u(s) the Kp*error(t)...?

I think the first step to solving this is getting it in the form of a closed-loop characteristic equation - something I have no idea how to do. How do I involve the K parameter, is it just Kp for proportional control?

What I've tried is called the CLCE 1 + y(s).K and substituted s = iw. This yield K = ±1 and w = ±1 with the ultimates being Ku=1 and Pu=2pi

Is the final value theorem question trying to get me to so the SS error is zero because PI control is implemented?

CalebP said:
Gah, I really have no idea what I'm doing. I've never seen this stuff before and it's two weeks worth of notes in one unit.

What exactly have I been given in this question? Do I need any knowledge of Laplace to solve this? Is the input u(s) the controller function (involving tauI and tauD, in integral form or Laplace form), or is u(s) the Kp*error(t)...?

You definitely need a background in Laplace. I can't imagine how you'd be given a problem like this one without that .

u(t) is the input to your compensated system. The system (more commonly called plant) gets modified by the kp and ki gains to yield desired response y(t) to an input u(t). The purpose of Z-N gains is purportedly to effect an ideal response characteristic in some way or other.

I think the first step to solving this is getting it in the form of a closed-loop characteristic equation - something I have no idea how to do. How do I involve the K parameter, is it just Kp for proportional control?

What I've tried is called the CLCE 1 + y(s).K and substituted s = iw. This yield K = ±1 and w = ±1 with the ultimates being Ku=1 and Pu=2pi

You should look at Wikipedia's description under "PID Controllers". It's very good.

Is the final value theorem question trying to get me to so the SS error is zero because PI control is implemented?

The question was put to you badly. If you apply a constant input u(t) = c then the output will in the steady-state equal the input, thanks to the presence of the integrator (ki). So no error in this case.

But if you apply a ramp u(t) = ct, the output will lag the input, and the difference between input u and output y at any given time t is the error, as a percentage of the max. input.

I can't help you after this because any next hints would require a knowledge of manipulating Laplace-transformed variables and I am not permitted to give you an out-and-out solution.

Thanks,

I've done a small amount of Laplace (about 5 years ago :P) but never applied it, nor was that class a prereq.

The old exam was a 2008 edition so maybe I don't even need to know this for the unit. If you say it's needed then I'm guessing I don't have to know this stuff.

Thanks for your trouble.

Related to Ziegler-Nichols method and closed loop characteristic equations.

1. What is the Ziegler-Nichols method?

The Ziegler-Nichols method is a popular tuning technique used in closed-loop control systems to determine the optimal values for the proportional, integral, and derivative (PID) parameters. It involves setting the PID parameters based on the characteristics of the system's response to a step input.

2. How does the Ziegler-Nichols method work?

The Ziegler-Nichols method works by first identifying the critical gain, Ku, and the critical period, Tu, of the system. These values can be found by gradually increasing the proportional gain until the system starts to oscillate with a constant amplitude. The Ku value is the gain at which this occurs, and the corresponding period is Tu. Based on these values, the PID parameters can be calculated using a set of equations.

3. What are the advantages of using the Ziegler-Nichols method?

One of the main advantages of using the Ziegler-Nichols method is that it is a simple and effective way to tune PID parameters for a wide range of systems. It also does not require any prior knowledge of the system's mathematical model, making it suitable for real-world applications.

4. Are there any limitations of the Ziegler-Nichols method?

Yes, there are some limitations to the Ziegler-Nichols method. It may not work well for systems with non-linear dynamics or those with large time delays. Additionally, it can lead to unstable or oscillatory responses in some cases, so it is important to carefully analyze the system's characteristics before using this method for tuning.

5. What are closed loop characteristic equations?

Closed loop characteristic equations are mathematical equations that describe the behavior of a closed-loop control system. They involve the transfer function of the system, which represents the relationship between the input and output signals. These equations are used to analyze and design control systems to achieve desired performance characteristics.