ZIPLINE PROJECT, make object travel 7.4 meters and back on a horizontal zipline

In summary: The object must be able to carry a set amount of weight and must be able to travel back to the starting point. The object must also be able to travel a straight, horizontal zipline of 7.4 meters. The object must be all mechanical and cannot have electric power source. The object must be pretty cheap to make and acquire.
ziplinegirls
HELP PLEASE!

I have to create an object that will travel a straight, horizontal zipline of 7.4 meters, and then travel back .4 meters to the starting point.. The object has to be all mechanical (no electric power source) and can't weigh more than 2 kg. It also has to be pretty cheap ($50) to make/acquire. I don't have many ideas at the moment, except maybe using a balloon to propel it for one way. I don't know how I can make sure the object travels back to the starting point. I was thinking of using a spring to make it bounce back when it hits the wall after the 7.4 meter mark, but I don't think the spring will provide enough force for it to come all the way back. The object also has to be able to carry a set amount of weight on it for maximum points achieved.
Any help, ideas will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

:)

Physics news on Phys.org
ziplinegirls said:
HELP PLEASE!

I have to create an object that will travel a straight, horizontal zipline of 7.4 meters, and then travel back .4 meters to the starting point.. The object has to be all mechanical (no electric power source) and can't weigh more than 2 kg. It also has to be pretty cheap ($50) to make/acquire. I don't have many ideas at the moment, except maybe using a balloon to propel it for one way. I don't know how I can make sure the object travels back to the starting point. I was thinking of using a spring to make it bounce back when it hits the wall after the 7.4 meter mark, but I don't think the spring will provide enough force for it to come all the way back. The object also has to be able to carry a set amount of weight on it for maximum points achieved.
Any help, ideas will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

:)
4.5 lbs and $50 is a pretty tight budget. Let's see what you have to work with.

"a straight, horizontal zip-line ...and then travel back ...to the starting point" - so you don't get to trade any verticle heigth for energy.

The operation will require an energy source - both directions. Electric is not available. Is stored mechanical energy available? Clockwork spring, linear compressed sprng, compressed air bottle, little CO2 cartridges, dropping weight - anything like these?. Do you get to launch it? Or do you just set is on the zip-line and turn it on?

ice

hey , yea we can use springs, compressed air bottles, idk about CO2 cartirdges, probably not though. we can use pulleys, wieghts too.

Now you will need a trigger. When the Rube Goldberg hits the end-of-the line - a trigger switches over to the driving the other direction. Hummm ... still sounds expensive.

How about two model rocket motors? Fuse the second one long enough to not light until after the contraption hits the end-of-line - a several second delay wouldn't hurt anything.

ice

How about this system on a table using weights? Seems easy enough, start it by knocking the weight on one end off, and balance the weight on the other end of the table so a slight push will knock it off.

http://imgur.com/3EFtO

no we cannot use motors or the table mass system

What is the extra mass it must carry and is there a time limit?

1. How does the zipline project work?

The zipline project works by using the force of gravity and a pulley system to propel an object along a suspended cable. The object is attached to the cable via a harness or clip, and the cable is anchored at both ends to create a horizontal path for the object to travel. When released, the object will move along the cable due to the force of gravity and can reach high speeds depending on the angle and length of the cable.

2. What materials are needed for the zipline project?

The materials needed for the zipline project include a sturdy cable or rope, a pulley system, a harness or clip for the object to attach to the cable, and anchors to secure the cable at both ends. Optional materials could include a measuring tape or ruler to ensure the desired distance is achieved, and a stopper or brake system to control the speed of the object.

3. How can I ensure that the object travels exactly 7.4 meters?

To ensure that the object travels exactly 7.4 meters, precise measurements and calculations are needed. Measure the distance between the two anchor points and adjust the length of the cable accordingly. The angle of the cable also plays a role in the distance traveled, so it may require some trial and error to achieve the desired distance. Using a stopper or brake system can also help control the speed and distance traveled by the object.

4. Can the zipline project be used for heavier objects?

Yes, the zipline project can be used for heavier objects as long as the materials used are strong enough to support the weight. The angle and length of the cable may need to be adjusted to accommodate the weight and ensure the object can travel smoothly along the cable. It is important to always follow safety guidelines and properly secure the cable and object to prevent accidents.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when setting up the zipline project?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when setting up the zipline project. Always ensure that the cable is securely anchored at both ends and can support the weight of the object. Use a harness or clip to attach the object to the cable, and make sure it is properly secured. Use caution when releasing the object, and consider using a stopper or brake system to control the speed. It is also important to have a clear path for the object to travel and to always supervise the project to prevent accidents or injuries.