Solving absolute function

In summary: So you can compare the two functions at each point.The first step is to find where [tex] g(x) > f(x) . This means solving
takercena

Homework Statement

a. Find the value of x such as fx < gx where fx = |2x -1| and gx = x(2-x)
b. evaluate [tex] \displaystyle\int^1_0 [gx - fx]\,dx [/tex]

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

For question a I make it into 2 equation to 2x-1 = 2x-x^2 and 1 - 2x = 2x - x^2. I solve it and find the value of x = 1, 0.2679 and 3.73. The problem is, which interval should i choose if there is no graph to be sketched? And how do i get 0.2679 = 2 - sqrt of 3?

I have no idea for question b.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should always sketch a graph, whether they ask you to or not. It will make your life much easier. |2x-1|=2x-1 for x>=1/2 and |2x-1|=1-2x for x<=1/2. Work separately on those two intervals. There are only two points of intersection. And to get 0.2679...=2-sqrt(3) exactly, use the quadratic formula to solve the equation. Don't just put it into a calculator and get the numerical results.

Problem 1:
I haven't checked your numbers yet, but you shouldn't find three solutions, only 2. Once you have found the values of [tex] x [/tex] where [tex] f(x) = g(x) [/tex], those are the only places the two functions can be equal. Call the two locations of equality [tex] a, b [/tex], and for purposes of my notes assume that [tex] a < b [tex].

Pick three numbers [tex] x_1 < a [/tex], [tex] a < x_2 < b [/tex], and [tex] b < x_3 [/tex]. Compare the function values at each [tex] x [/tex]. If [tex] f < g [/tex] at your choice, it will be for all other values in that interval. (The same if [tex] g > f [/tex]).

For problem 2: I assume you want

[tex]
\int_0^1 |g(x) - f(x)| \, dx
[/tex]

To do this you'll need to split this integral into pieces, depending on where [tex] g(x) > f(x) [/tex] and [tex] g(x) < f(x) [/tex]. But that's exactly why you solved problem 1.

1. What is an absolute function?

An absolute function, also known as an absolute value function, is a mathematical function that returns the positive value of a given number. It is denoted by enclosing the number within two vertical bars, such as |x|.

2. How do you solve an absolute function?

To solve an absolute function, you must consider two cases: when the input is positive and when the input is negative. If the input is positive, the absolute function will simply return the input value. If the input is negative, the absolute function will return the input value multiplied by -1. In other words, you remove the negative sign when solving an absolute function.

3. What is the domain and range of an absolute function?

The domain of an absolute function is all real numbers, as any number can be input into the function. The range, however, is only positive numbers as the absolute function always returns a positive value.

4. Can an absolute function have more than one solution?

No, an absolute function can only have one solution. This is because the absolute function only returns a positive value, so there can only be one possible output for any given input.

5. Can absolute functions be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, absolute functions can be used to solve real-world problems involving distance, as distance is always a positive value. For example, an absolute function can be used to find the distance between two points on a coordinate plane.