Integrating an exponential function

In summary, integrating an exponential function involves finding the antiderivative using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or tables of integrals. The general formula for integrating an exponential function is ∫e^x dx = e^x + C, with u-substitution as a common technique. There are special cases involving powers and constants, and real-life applications include modeling growth and decay processes in various fields.
fishturtle1

Homework Statement

Show ##\int_{0}^{1}e_n(x)\overline e_k(x) dx = 1## if ##n=k## and ##0## otherwise.

Homework Equations

##e_n(x) = e^{2\pi inx}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider 2 cases:

case 1: ##n=k##. Then ##\int_{0}^{1} e_n(x) \bar e_k(x) dx = \int_{0}^{1} e_n(x)e_{-k}(x) dx = \int_{0}^{1} e_0(x) dx = \int_{0}^{1} 1 dx = 1(1-0) = 1.##

case 2: ##n \neq k##. Then ##\int_{0}^{1} e_n(x)\bar e_k(x) dx = \int_{0}^{1} e_{n-k}(x) dx = \int_{0}^{1} e^{2\pi i (n-k)}x = \int_{0}^{1} (e^{2\pi i})^{(n-k)x} dx = \int_{0}^{1} 1^{(n-k)x}dx = 1##? Can someone please point out the mistake..

Also this was from lecture notes today:

case 2: ##n \neq k##. In ##L^2([0,1]) = \lbrace f: [0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{C} \vert \int_{0}^{1} f^2(x) dx < \infty \rbrace## is an Inner Product space and ##<f, g>^2 = \int_{0}^{1} f(x)\bar g(x) dx##. So ##e_n(x)## and ##e_k(x)## are orthonogal.
--end notes--

So that would imply their dot product is 0..

My questions are: Can I please have help on case 2? and reading my notes I am not sure how we get the conclusion ##e_n(x)## and ##e_k(x)## are orthogonal, how do we do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
fishturtle1 said:

Homework Statement

Show ##\int_{0}^{1}e_n(x)\overline e_k(x) dx = 1## if ##n=k## and ##0## otherwise.

Homework Equations

Consider 2 cases:

case 1: ##n=k##. Then ##\int_{0}^{1} e_n(x) \bar e_k(x) dx = \int_{0}^{1} e_n(x)e_{-k}(x) dx = \int_{0}^{1} e_0(x) dx = \int_{0}^{1} 1 dx = 1(1-0) = 1.##

case 2: ##n \neq k##. Then ##\int_{0}^{1} e_n(x)\bar e_k(x) dx = \int_{0}^{1} e_{n-k}(x) dx = \int_{0}^{1} e^{2\pi i (n-k)}x = \int_{0}^{1} (e^{2\pi i})^{(n-k)x} dx = \int_{0}^{1} 1^{(n-k)x}dx = 1##? Can someone please point out the mistake..
You used arithmetic rules for real numbers and applied them to complex numbers without checking if they were still valid. See https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/things-can-go-wrong-complex-numbers/

case 2: ##n \neq k##. In ##L^2([0,1]) = \lbrace f: [0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{C} \vert \int_{0}^{1} f^2(x) dx < \infty \rbrace## is an Inner Product space and ##<f, g>^2 = \int_{0}^{1} f(x)\bar g(x) dx##. So ##e_n(x)## and ##e_k(x)## are orthonogal.
--end notes--

My questions are: Can I please have help on case 2? and reading my notes I am not sure how we get the conclusion ##e_n(x)## and ##e_k(x)## are orthogonal, how do we do this?
You get the correct results, if you use ##e^{2\pi i m x}=\cos(2\pi m x)+i \sin(2\pi m x)##.

fresh_42 said:
You used arithmetic rules for real numbers and applied them to complex numbers without checking if they were still valid. See https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/things-can-go-wrong-complex-numbers/

You get the correct results, if you use ##e^{2\pi i m x}=\cos(2\pi m x)+i \sin(2\pi m x)##.
Thanks for the reply,

So from the article, i can't do ##\int_0^1 e^{2\pi i (n-k)x} = \int_0^1 (e^{2\pi i})^{(n-k)x} ## because we'd need ##2\pi i## and ##(n-k)x## to be positive and real, and ##2\pi i## is not real.

So for case 2: ##n \neq k##. Let ##l = n-k##. Observe, ##I = \int_0^1 e_n(x)e_k(x) dx = \int_0^1 e_{n-k}(x)dx = \int_0^1 e^{2\pi ilx}dx = \int_0^1 \cos(2\pi ilx) + i\sin(2\pi ilx) dx##. Let ##u = 2\pi ilx##. Then ##du = 2\pi il dx## i.e., ##dx = \frac{du}{2\pi il}##. So, ##\int_{0}^{2\pi il} \frac{\cos(u) + isin(u)}{2\pi il} du = \int_0^{2\pi il}\frac{\cos(u)}{2\pi il} du + \int_0^{2\pi il}\frac{\sin(u)}{2\pi il} du =\frac{\sin(2\pi il) - \sin(0)}{2\pi il} + i\frac{-\cos(2\pi il) - -\cos(0)}{2\pi il} = \frac{0 - 0}{2\pi il} + i \frac{-1 - -1}{2\pi il} = 0## which is the result we wanted.

Likes fresh_42
fishturtle1 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Consider 2 cases:

--end notes--

I know you have already done the question, but for future reference you should realize that for ##n \neq k## you could use the result
$$\int e^{ax} \, dx = \frac{1}{a} e^{ax} + C,$$ with ##a = 2\pi i (n-k)##,

Ray Vickson said:
I know you have already done the question, but for future reference you should realize that for ##n \neq k## you could use the result
$$\int e^{ax} \, dx = \frac{1}{a} e^{ax} + C,$$ with ##a = 2\pi i (n-k)##,
Thank you for letting me know, ill keep this in mind for the future.

1. How do I integrate an exponential function?

Integrating an exponential function involves finding the antiderivative of the function. This can be done by using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or using tables of integrals.

2. What is the general formula for integrating an exponential function?

The general formula for integrating an exponential function is ∫e^x dx = e^x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

3. Can I use u-substitution to integrate an exponential function?

Yes, u-substitution is a commonly used technique for integrating exponential functions. This involves substituting the variable in the exponent with another variable, u, to simplify the integration process.

4. Are there any special cases when integrating exponential functions?

Yes, there are a few special cases when integrating exponential functions. One case is when the exponential function is raised to a power, in which case the power rule can be used. Another case is when the exponential function is multiplied by a constant, in which case the constant can be taken out of the integral.

5. What are some real-life applications of integrating exponential functions?

Integrating exponential functions is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model growth and decay processes. For example, it can be used to calculate the population growth of a species, the decay of a radioactive substance, or the growth of an investment over time.