Irreversible change - thermodynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work done in thermodynamic processes and how it differs for reversible and irreversible changes. The book argues that for an irreversible change, the work done by the gas is greater than or equal to the negative of the product of external pressure and change in volume. This is due to the difference in external and internal pressures in a non-quasi-static process. The conversation also suggests using a different convention for clarity.
Grand

Homework Statement

I'm reading a book on Thermodynamic processes, and they argue that for an irreversible change

[tex]dW\geq-PdV[/tex]

and I can't explain to myself why is this. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Grand said:

Homework Statement

I'm reading a book on Thermodynamic processes, and they argue that for an irreversible change

[tex]dW\geq-PdV[/tex]

and I can't explain to myself why is this. Can anyone help?

A reversible expansion or compression is one that is quasi-static: it requires an external pressure that is essentially equal to (ie. infinitessimally lower or higher than) the internal pressure of the gas. So the work done BY the gas in a reversible change is always dW = PdV.

It appears that your book uses the old convention that dW = work done by surroundings ON the gas = -PdV in a reversible expansion / compression. I suggest you use dW = work done on the surroundings BY the gas. (ie dW = PdV for a reversible change). Then revert back to your convention. It is just less confusing.

If an expansion is not quasi-static (the external pressure is lower than the gas pressure by more than an infinitessimal amount ) the work done on the surroundings by the gas (external P x dV) will be less than the internal P x dV. So dW < PdV where P = internal gas pressure and dW = work done ON the surroundings BY the gas.

If you use the convention in your book, where dW = work done ON the gas by the surroundings, you have to add a - sign and that changes the inequality: dW > -PdV.

For an irreversible compression it is a little different. The external pressure does work on the gas. But the work done ON the gas is always internal P x dV whether the external pressure is greater than the internal pressure (irreversible) or equal to it (reversible).

So you end up with [itex]dW \geq -PdV[/itex] where dW = work done ON the gas by the surroundings. If dW = work done BY the gas [itex]dW \leq PdV[/itex]

AM

What is irreversible change in thermodynamics?

Irreversible change in thermodynamics refers to a process in which the system cannot be returned to its original state without external intervention. This means that the change is permanent and cannot be undone.

What is an example of an irreversible change in thermodynamics?

An example of an irreversible change in thermodynamics is the burning of a piece of paper. Once the paper is burned, it cannot be returned to its original state. The energy released during the combustion process cannot be completely converted back into its original form.

What causes irreversible change in thermodynamics?

Irreversible change in thermodynamics is caused by the dissipation of energy, also known as entropy. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. As energy is converted from one form to another, some of it is lost as heat, increasing the entropy of the system.

How does irreversible change affect the efficiency of a system?

Irreversible change decreases the efficiency of a system. This is because some energy is lost as heat during the process, which cannot be recovered. This lost energy reduces the amount of useful work that can be obtained from the system, resulting in lower efficiency.

Can irreversible change be prevented?

No, irreversible change cannot be completely prevented. However, it can be minimized by using efficient processes, insulating systems to reduce energy loss, and implementing reversible processes whenever possible. These measures can help to reduce the amount of irreversible change and increase the efficiency of a system.