How Can Viscous Drag Affect the Velocity of a Sliding Block?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block sliding on a lubricated surface with a viscous drag force. The problem asks for the block's velocity and displacement as functions of time, with a specific value for the variable n. The conversation also addresses a potential error in the solution for the displacement and clarifies the use of negative times. The final solution for the displacement is found to be x-x_o = 2m(v_o)^(3/2) / 3c.
Mechdude

Homework Statement

heres a problem i working on
a block slides on a horizontal surface which has been lubricated with a heavy oil such that the block experiences a viscous drag
resistance in the opposite direction to the velocity and that varies with speed according to:
[tex]F\left( v\right) =-c\,i\,{v}^{n}[/tex]
if the initial speed is [itex] v_0 [/itex] at [itex] t=0 [/itex]
a) find [itex]v[/itex] as a function of time [itex]t[/itex]
which iv found ;
[tex]{\left( {v_o}^{1-n}+\frac{c\left( n-1\right) \,t}{m}\right) }^{\frac{1}{1-n}}[/tex]
b) For [itex]n = \frac{1}{2} [/itex] find the displacement x[itex]\vec{i} [/itex] as a function of t: i is the unit vectoer in x direction. .
which iv found
[tex] x- x_o = \frac{12\,{m}^{2}\,t\,vo+6\,c\,m\,{t}^{2}\,\sqrt{vo}+{c}^{2}\,{t}^{3}}{12\,{m}^{2}}[/tex]

c) show that for [itex] n = 1/2 [/itex] , the block will not travel further than [tex] \frac{2mv_o^{\frac{3}{2}} }{3c} [/tex]
now this is the sucker that will not work out. the answers for a and b are as given in the
assignment sheet, so they are ok.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

give me a clue on how to do this

Physics news on Phys.org
I really don't think b) can be right. For one thing, x-x0 increases without bound as t increases, which implies the block will eventually reach infinite speed.

Use

[tex]a=v\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]

and find v(x).

ideasrule said:
I really don't think b) can be right. For one thing, x-x0 increases without bound as t increases, which implies the block will eventually reach infinite speed.

correction
the second equation that i found has a sign problem on the second term compared to the solution provided
[tex] x- x_o = \frac{12\,{m}^{2}\,t\,vo-6\,c\,m\,{t}^{2}\,\sqrt{v_o}+{c}^{2}\,{t}^{3}}{12\,{m}^{2}}[/tex]

OK, do it your way. Can you find the velocity as a function of time from your expression? Can you find at what time that velocity goes to zero?

kuruman said:
OK, do it your way. Can you find the velocity as a function of time from your expression? Can you find at what time that velocity goes to zero?

so from the espression for [itex]f(v)= -cv^n [/itex]we can get using[itex] f=ma [/itex] one of Newtons laws
[itex]a= dv/dt=\frac{-cv^n }{m}[/itex]
and a little separation of variables,
[tex]v(t)= {\left( {v_o}^{1-n}+\frac{c\left( n-1\right) \,t}{m}\right) }^{\frac{1}{1-n}}[/tex]
the integration was done much like that of obtaining Newtons equations of motion, from 0 to t, and [itex]dv = v -v_o [/itex] but since the force is variable
the acceleration was not treated as a constant.
integrating this wrt time again we get
[tex]x-x_o= \frac{t\,\left( 12\,{m}^{2}\,v_o-6\,c\,m\,t\,\sqrt{v_o}+{c}^{2}\,{t}^{2}\right) }{12\,{m}^{2}}[/tex]
and we get this expression from v(t) at n=1/2
[tex] v(t)={\left( -\sqrt{vo}-\frac{c\,t}{2\,m}\right) }^{2}[/tex]
when the block stops moving v will be =0 hence we can solve for t at v=0
[tex]t= \pm \frac{2\,m\,\sqrt{v_o}}{c}[/tex]
inserting this into the equation for displacement x below that we found
[tex]\frac{t\,\left( 12\,{m}^{2}\,v_o-6\,c\,m\,t\,\sqrt{v_o}+{c}^{2}\,{t}^{2}\right) }{12\,{m}^{2}}[/tex]
we get after a little algebra (for the negative t, il try the positive t later)
[tex]-\frac{14\,m\,{v_o}^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3\,c}[/tex]

regards
mechdude.

Last edited:
How do you get two times from

[tex]
0={\left( -\sqrt{vo}-\frac{c\,t}{2\,m}\right) }^{2}
[/tex]

*** Added on Edit ***

Also, negative times are unphysical. Check your signs along the derivation of the expression above.

Last edited:
Sorry, my bad, the expresion on the right is squared, so there's both negative and positive roots, but negative times are unphysical , il consider the positive root.

Mechdude said:
Sorry, my bad, the expresion on the right is squared, so there's both negative and positive roots, but negative times are unphysical , il consider the positive root.

How do you get a positive root out of

[tex]

0={\left( -\sqrt{vo}-\frac{c\,t}{2\,m}\right) }^{2}

[/tex]

??

Check the math that got you to this point.

starting from the expression for velocity;
[tex] v(t)= {\left( \sqrt{v_o}-\frac{c\,t}{2\,m}\right) }^{2} [/tex]
and expanding it [tex] v(t)= v_o-\frac{c\,t\,\sqrt{v_o}}{m}+\frac{{c}^{2}\,{t}^{2}}{4\,{m}^{2}} [/tex]
now if we set v to zero (when it finally stops)
[tex]0 = v_o-\frac{c\,t\,\sqrt{v_o}}{m}+\frac{{c}^{2}\,{t}^{2}}{4\,{m}^{2}} [/tex]
and solve for t: using the quadratic formula:
[tex] x=-b \pm \frac{\sqrt{{b}^{2}-4\,a\,c}}{2\,a}[/tex]
[tex] t=\frac{2\,m\,\sqrt{v_o}}{c} [/tex]
if we substitute this time into the expression for displacement:
[tex] x-x_o= \frac{12\,{m}^{2}\,t\,v_o-6\,c\,m\,{t}^{2}\,\sqrt{v_o}+{c}^{2}\,{t}^{3}}{12\,{m}^{2}}[/tex]

we then get [tex] x-x_o = \frac{2\,m\,{v_o}^{\frac{3}{2}}}{3\,c} [/tex]
which is what was required.

Mechdude said:
starting from the expression for velocity;
[tex] v(t)= {\left( \sqrt{v_o}-\frac{c\,t}{2\,m}\right) }^{2} [/tex]

That's better. Note that in the previous postings you had a minus sign in front of both terms between parentheses. Also, it is much quicker to take the square root on both sides

[tex] 0=\pm {\left( \sqrt{v_o}-\frac{c\,t}{2\,m}\right) } [/tex]
which clearly has one solution

[tex]
t=\frac{2\,m\,\sqrt{v_o}}{c}
[/tex]

kuruman said:
That's better. Note that in the previous postings you had a minus sign in front of both terms between parentheses. Also, it is much quicker to take the square root on both sides

[tex] 0=\pm {\left( \sqrt{v_o}-\frac{c\,t}{2\,m}\right) } [/tex]
which clearly has one solution

[tex]
t=\frac{2\,m\,\sqrt{v_o}}{c}
[/tex]

thanks, i was not exactly cautious while working the problem,
regards.

Related to How Can Viscous Drag Affect the Velocity of a Sliding Block?

What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of particles and systems under the influence of forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation as described by Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

What are the basic principles of classical mechanics?

The basic principles of classical mechanics are Newton's laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. These laws also describe how forces affect the motion of an object.

What are some common types of classical mechanics problems?

Some common types of classical mechanics problems include calculating the motion of objects on inclined planes, analyzing collisions between objects, and determining the forces acting on a system of objects.

What is the role of energy in classical mechanics?

Energy plays a crucial role in classical mechanics as it is a conserved quantity, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed. The total energy of a system remains constant, and it can be converted between different forms, such as kinetic and potential energy.

How is classical mechanics related to other branches of physics?

Classical mechanics is the foundation of many other branches of physics, such as thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It provides the fundamental principles and equations that govern the behavior of macroscopic objects and systems.