Why is this integral positive or negative

In summary, Nat1) the integrals of x cos x from 0 to pi/2 and pi/2 to pi are positive, and x cos x from 0 to pi is also positive. Nat2) to find the indefinite integral of x cos x dx and hence the exact values of values of x cos x from 0 to pi/2, cos x from pi/2 to pi and x cos x from 0 to pi, the integral should be done by Integration by parts.
Natasha1
I have been asked to explain without evaluating the integrals why

1) the integral of x cos x from 0 to pi/2 is positive and the integral of x cos x from pi/2 to pi is negative. And also would I expect x cos x from 0 to pi to be positive, zero or negative? And why ?

2) to find the indefinite integral of x cos x dx and hence the exact values of values of x cos x from 0 to pi/2, cos x from pi/2 to pi and x cos x from 0 to pi?

Any help would be must appreciated. I know I haven't done anything so far so no need to have a go at me for it but I just wanted some help with it and even better the solutions obviously as this blimming thing is for in a few days time. Many thanks in advance

Nat

Physics news on Phys.org
1) What are your thoughts on this? Have you drawn the graph?

2) Have you learned about integration by parts?

[tex]\int x\cos(x)dx[/tex]

By parts, u=x dv=cos(x)
du = 1 v = sin(x)

[tex]\int udv= uv - \int vdu[/tex]

You can take it from there.

#1, What can you say about the integral of [tex]\int \limits_{\alpha} ^ {\beta} f(x) \ dx[/tex] (i.e greater or less than or equal to 0), if:
(i) [itex]f(x) > 0 , \ \forall x \in ( \alpha, \ \beta )[/itex]
(ii) [itex]f(x) < 0 , \ \forall x \in ( \alpha, \ \beta )[/itex]?
You can draw a graph to see this. Remember that definite integral of some function from a to b will give you the area under the graph of that function from x = a to x = b.
#2, as others have pointed out, this should be done by Integration by parts.
You can either read the article there, or look at your textbook. There should be something about Integration by parts.
Can you go from here? If you still have problems, just shout out. :smile:

Last edited:

1. Why is this integral positive or negative?

The sign of an integral is determined by the value of the function being integrated. If the function is mostly above the x-axis, the integral will be positive. If the function is mostly below the x-axis, the integral will be negative.

2. Can the integral of a function be both positive and negative?

No, the integral of a function can only have one sign. It cannot be both positive and negative at the same time.

3. What does a positive or negative integral represent?

A positive integral represents the area between the curve and the x-axis, while a negative integral represents the area below the x-axis. It can also represent the net change in a quantity over a given interval.

4. How does the shape of the function affect the sign of the integral?

The shape of the function plays a crucial role in determining the sign of the integral. A function that is mostly above the x-axis will have a positive integral, while a function that is mostly below the x-axis will have a negative integral.

5. What are some real-world applications of positive and negative integrals?

Positive and negative integrals have various applications in different fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, the area under a velocity-time graph (which represents the integral) can tell us the displacement of an object. In economics, the integral of a demand function can represent the total revenue of a product. In engineering, the integral of a force function can represent the work done on an object.